The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Default Problems with K&K (part 2)

I posted the comment below about one month ago and finally have an update.

"I have a Langejans grand concert, rosewood and spruce, that I bought used. Love the guitar, but I have a love/hate relationship with the Trinity system that the prior owner installed. At times, it sounds great, but when I attack the strings directly over the mic, I get some really annoying pops and other strange sounds from time to time. I have tried altering the mic positions, but I also change location of attack often when playing, so I invariably hit that annoying position from time to time. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the Trinity system. If so, any thoughts on solving the issue?

BTW, the mic is positioned in what appears to be the recommended location just a touch below the top in between (roughly) the third and second strings. I am playing through a loudbox (discontinued model with the 12 inch woofer, mid, and three tweeters, triamped).

This has been so annoying that I am seriously considering a new Anthem system."

Ok, I had my guitar in for an intonation/setup adjustment and asked the luthier to go ahead and remove the K&K and replace it with an anthem. The last owner's install of the k&k was not well done, and I really did not like the big and heavy preamp glued to the inside of the back. The Anthem system seemed a lot simpler and more streamlined, with less junk inside the guitar.

I know this may be blaspheme around here, but I have to say that, for this guitar and my loudbox amp, the Anthem does sound better. I realize that this is highly subjective, but, to me, the Anthem sounds at least as good at low volumes (porobably even better) and definitely better at high volumes. Plus, it looks cleaner, I don't have to worry about mic position like with the K&K, it is much easier to adjust (couldnt reach the k&k preamp pots without removing strings), and the feedback control is much better.

As I noted in the original post, I was also having some issues with the K&K when attacking the strings directly over the mic. Obviously, those issues are gone now too.

No knock on the K&K--like I said, the install could have been questionable, I bought it used, and it did sound good--but for my setup and uses, the Anthem is better.

By the way, if you are in southern IN and need a good luthier, check out Roadworthy Guitar and Amp. Email me, and I'll send contact info. Dave, the owner, does setups for the likes of Mellencamp and his band members. In fact, my job was delayed because Mellencamp's band was heading out and, obviously, they had priority over little ole me. Dave does amazing work. Langejans makes a wonderful guitar, but Dave's setup and intonation adjustments to the saddle made it even better.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfounds View Post
I know this may be blaspheme around here, but I have to say that, for this guitar and my loudbox amp, the Anthem does sound better.
Not blasphemy at all. If you like it better, it's better for you. No one can argue with that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification