The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Plain end or ball end stings?

For those of you who play classical guitars . . .

Do you use plain end or ball end strings? Why?

Do you use high tension or low/normal tension strings? Why?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Plain end... After learning to tie them it is no problem to change strings. Also read that ball ends in a normal bridge can wear it out. No clue if it is true.

As far as tension. I use Mari high tension strings. But there is no standard to say what is high, medium, ect so it varies between brands. I use the stings I use because for alt tunings they still sound great.

Jrw
Old 09-12-2015, 09:32 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I've never used ball end strings on literally dozens of classical guitars, but only because they weren't very commonly used or readily available. I like high or extra high tension strings on a guitar that can handle them, they seem (to me) a bit punchier and louder while retaining all the other tonal qualities that everyone wants
Old 09-13-2015, 01:38 PM

Plain ends. Most brands are not ball-end. The first brand I used were Augustine, and I had to learn to tie those...

Because I thought it sounded better,I used to use extra-high tension, then went to high tension on my good ol' Alvarez because I'd get fatigued on playing jobs. I just put a set of normal on her a couple days ago. Sounds just as good. Maybe it just needed to be played for 25 years to break in. lol

I use low tension on my GK studio, my gigging guitar. It's more lightly braced than the Alvarez and the lower tension helps with playing stamina.
Also that guitar has electronics so even if there was any acoustic volume loss the amplification takes care of that.

Many people on the Delcamp forum say the high tension can 'choke' the sound from the top having too much pressure... who knows! Every guitar is different..
Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 PM

I've never found ball-end strings that were of any quality. They sound bad and the ball ends break off.
However, I got some small beads big enough for a string to fit through, and I sometimes tie my strings to them to make my own ball-ends strings. I've found two things: 1) they break in much faster than tying them to the bridge; 2) the angle of the string where it meets the bone is sharper, so there is less chance of string buzzing due to meeting the bridge at too flat an angle. I don't know why string makers don't make high quality ball-end strings.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:52 PM

Bought some ball end strings online to try building a nylon string guitar. Out of curiosity I slapped a classical bridge on an X braced body and put the ball end strings on it. Did not sound too bad. When I build a fan braced guitar I found out ball end strings were not as available and I looked up how to install regular strings. Not hard at all. So I see no advantage to ball ended strings.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
For those of you who play classical guitars . . .

Do you use plain end or ball end strings? Why?

Do you use high tension or low/normal tension strings? Why?

Thanks
I normally use plain end strings of medium to high tension. There is a much greater choice of plain end classical strings than ball end ones. I prefer the sound of high tensions.

I do use ball end strings on one of my classical guitars. It's 40 years old and the top has bellied a little over the years (the fate of most guitars). I use the ball end strings to get a better break angle at the bridge (the act of tying on plain end strings lifts the string and reduces break angle). But I don't buy ball end ones - I use my normal plain end strings and use craft beads held with a knot in the string. Works well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical