The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM

A week or so ago, I saw a listing on Ebay for one of the 91 pre-war D-45 Martins. Might have been a scam but it was a great guitar on Ebay.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Got a very nice guitar from an eBay sale. Just take the time to contact the seller and know what you're bidding on.

All you have to do is look at how some of the guys on this forum change guitars faster than most folks change socks to know that for some the quest for the "perfect guitar" is more about the excitement of the chase instead of the capture . . . .

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM

I got an immaculate 414ce today frokm eBay. Could not be any happier.

Thank you Mr. Scrofani!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Lame remark to say the least. Sounds like your friend is trying to drum up some business.

Like most have said here, there are some good instruments on eBay and sometimes you might run into an excellent deal.

Your friend overlooked an important component of eBay, it's ability to reach people nation wide. Plus, given these economic times sometimes people need to unload quickly. Besides, it can be next to impossible to try and sale something locally. All that being said, eBay can be a good place to buy and sell, but caveat emptor...let the buyer beware.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
I've sold some very nice guitars on eBay, so I know that good guitars are available. However, I've yet to find a 'keeper' out of the guitars I've bought online.

Bryan
I think that about nails it. Lots of great guitars on eBay. 0% of them were "keepers"--for whatever reason.

You just have to figure out if the reason matters to you. I've sold great guitars too, but I have my keepers. And if I had to sell all but one, I'd still have the best one in my own hands. No doubt.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 PM

It sounds like your friend is just trying to maintain the perception that "only retail stores sell truly great guitars". If coarse, it would make sense
that he runs a music store.

EBay's just another venue to sell through and it has been responsible for bringing the world to the doorstep or people who may have otherwise had to settle for the limited customer traffic of a store or a forum or other venue.

I've also sold thing on eBay for multiple times more than they could have ever brought locally.

There's nothing wrong with eBay as a sale method for anyone selling anything. It's actually a smart move for many sellers who want to get as much as they possible can for an item.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 AM

I'm sorry I have to touch it, feel it, smell it and play it. Its the only way.

So good luck on ebay to those of you with more beans in his bag than I got

but great guitars are to be found where ever you can find them and that does include EvilBay
2004 Diego Huerga" Lucky 7"
1998 R6
2003 R7
2009 Deluxe
2011 Limited
2015 ES Paul

Last edited by Guitaardvaark; 12-04-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaardvaark View Post
I'm sorry I have to touch it, feel it, smell it and play it. Its the only way.
Yep, I'm that way 99.99% of the time, but the one time I took the chance a couple of months ago and didn't follow that rule, it paid off big time. I was out less than $375.00 total and got a LOT more than $375.00 worth of guitar and case. A LOT more. I may or may not do it again, but I figured if I didn't like the guitar I could always turn around and sell it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion