The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-03-2015, 03:42 AM

Default Takamine vs. Yamaha vs. Ibanez vs. Cordoba

Looking for solid top and electronics in the $400 to $500 range. No decent local selection. Takamine, Yamaha, and Cordoba look like sure bets. Ibanez seems to be in a lower rung. I am sure there are others. I will not be playing classical music, mostly folk fingerstyle.

I can adapt to a regular classical guitar so cross over style is not 100% important although it could be nice.

Thoughts in this range? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:12 PM

I only have experience with the Cordoba Maple Fusion 14 of mine. What I can say about it is that it has a very special sound, very clear and sweet. It may sound quite unimpressive at first try, but develop a very very sweet sound when opening up. I love it, here's one of my composition being played on it

Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 AM

I own 4 Takamine pros and they play well. All are pre 2000 and like new condition in very good cases. My total expense was $1000 used. 2 of them have great pickups that can be easily upgraded.
I really get turned off seeing and playing with people with worned out expensive guitars that also sound like they need new strings.
My practice guitar sound as well as my performance guitar.
1982 F309 All Mahogany

Last edited by caissiel; 09-04-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
I love it, here's one of my composition being played on it
very nice Johan
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSY View Post
very nice Johan
Thanks JD
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 09-12-2015, 07:29 PM

I have to go with Johan Madsen on this one. I looked around for a very long time . I do have many guitar stores (3 guitar centers within a 15 min ride) and a large selection to try. I believe, in the 500-700 dollar range, the Cordoba is hard to beat. I too have the Maple Fusion 12 fret, love it. Real nice neck, good construction, nice wood, pretty good built in p/u tuner system. Comes with a deluxe soft side gig bag that I like. I have Yamahas and Takamine and think their steel string models are great but in the nylon zone, not too much so. The one that did stand out was Yamahas nylon string cross over model in the 700 range, I cant remember the model just now. If I played out plugged in often it would be my choice, sounds awesome. But I dont, and I do like the tone of the Cordoba. I think a lot has to do with the Savarez hi tension strings that come on it. About 22 dollars a set but they made the right choice pairing the guitar up with them.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 AM

I have the Córdoba GK Studio Negra and love it. What a great guitar IMO and I like regular guitar playing (pick and finger style) not so much classical. Neck not as wide as classical so I don't get hung up there. Love the bass on this model. I know most classical models are bass heavy to begin with but this model controls it well. Pleasantly surprised with my Córdoba purchase and would recommend them!

Guitar Player
Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Cordoba Fusion maples are great... I have a 12 fret in my collection.

...But if you haven't checked out La Patrie guitars, you probably should. They are made in Canada and are right in your price range. The Etude they are playing in the video is like 400 brand new I believe. I have their flagship and only paid 500 used.

Last edited by Bear Davis; 09-16-2015 at 07:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical