The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=JohnZ;1149162]TerryAllanHall,

No point countering what you've said, you're like quite a few musicians I know that don't like working with the Bose system, and it's the principle reason I don't use it in group situations. No, it doesn't push air the same way. All the better, they can stay on their course while I get more calls, complements, pleased clients, and tips.

Another smug, condescending post...

I get enough "calls, complements, pleased clients, and tips" to have been able to pay for the 170-acre ranch my wife, kids and self live on in cash, free and clear...check land prices in N. Texas, son.

But feel free to talk some more smack...we're all listening?

Well, I've got to mosey and play a covered wagon tour.....hmmmm...I get to use a real steel stringed acoustic for this, probably the DV-52 cause it's hot and it's the closest thing to a beater, and a banjo. No decision on a PA though, names like G-K, EV, JBL, Yamaha, Carvin, and Altec stay in the barn once again while I'm a ridin' with Bose.

I'm thinking you're hoping I (or at least someone) is impressed w/ you, right?

Here's your clue: If Bose's "latest fad" is all that much superior, you'd think EVERYONE would throw away all this "archaic" gear...wonder why that's not happening?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes View Post
Certainly the L1 isn't for everyone and it's a free country and there are many choices. And that's a good thing.

Absolutely...and one thing I've noticed is that ALMOST every L1 owner has this condescending "I'm better than you" attitude. Nice to find one w/ a more professional outlook.

But in my opinion, using a product two times doesn't qualify as a basis on which to formulate a passionate opposition.

How long does it take you to decide that a system in clearly inferior to your needs? The hiss, the lack of "bottom", the lack of EQ, the lack of reverb all were pretty obvious, but when management (who asked me to use it, as they were considering buying one for the "house system") apologized profusely, because she knows what I sound like (solo) through my regular system, it doesn't take too much more to make up one's mind.

Had I realized the trio gig involved the L1, I would've offered to bring out my system, because not a single act that day were happy w/ the sound...

I'm glad you guys are happy, but don't expect everyone to enjoy the sound that the L1 offers, 'cause it's never going to happen.

But like I said, it's a free country. I havent used the T1 or the model II, so I can only speak to what I have heard. However, I have personally performed more than 100 gigs with the L1. And I'd never (by choice) go back to a traditional system. No, the L1 isn't suitable for all people and applications - to each his/her own. But for me, the testimonial of an experienced user always carrys more weight, regardless of the product in question.

A bit over 30 years experience w/ many systems, both my own and others that were at the particular festival/venue, allows me to know what my voice, my guitar, Wendy's bass and Kat's percussion should sound like.

Just my opinion. No disrespect intended.

John
None taken, and (as I mentioned in my 1st post) none intended.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM

I tuned in on this one late. Man you guys are passionate. Or is it passin it. LOL

As a user of two bose "talking totem poles" as I fondly refer to them I finally sold my Peavy house system and my Yamaha powered mixer and speaker roady system and trusted the Bose for out gigs and in the studio monitoring system which Im finally getting completely comfortable with after a couple of years. I added a mackie mixer to handle routing of multiple goodies and separating the vocal instrument verbs and so far the only place I have found the bose lacking is in mulit level gigs where you find your self in the "pit" at a coffee house. Not the place for the bose there, Put the yamadogs up on stands and go for it with the ole powered mixer. Other than that I've used the single tower and double bass unit for the few gigs I play anymore and I must say cleanup and set up are much less stressful and my Hernia from too many years dragging six or more speakers and monitors and a tone of amps and effects in and out of one night stands for a three piece band are long gone.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=TerryAllanHall;1150270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
TerryAllanHall,

No point countering what you've said, you're like quite a few musicians I know that don't like working with the Bose system, and it's the principle reason I don't use it in group situations. No, it doesn't push air the same way. All the better, they can stay on their course while I get more calls, complements, pleased clients, and tips.

Another smug, condescending post...

I get enough "calls, complements, pleased clients, and tips" to have been able to pay for the 170-acre ranch my wife, kids and self live on in cash, free and clear...check land prices in N. Texas, son.

But feel free to talk some more smack...we're all listening?

Well, I've got to mosey and play a covered wagon tour.....hmmmm...I get to use a real steel stringed acoustic for this, probably the DV-52 cause it's hot and it's the closest thing to a beater, and a banjo. No decision on a PA though, names like G-K, EV, JBL, Yamaha, Carvin, and Altec stay in the barn once again while I'm a ridin' with Bose.

I'm thinking you're hoping I (or at least someone) is impressed w/ you, right?

Here's your clue: If Bose's "latest fad" is all that much superior, you'd think EVERYONE would throw away all this "archaic" gear...wonder why that's not happening?
Saw your website Terry...we've traveled a similar path...don't know when you started but I'd say about '68 for me and have never done anything else.

I hope you do more with kids, I'm finding it a lot of fun as well.

As to Bose sound systems, we don't agree.

All the best.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post

[b]Another smug, condescending post... ..............[b]..............
Terry, why do you feel it necessary to enter this thread and bash the Bose PAS? You acting like a big shot doesn't change the sound coming from my Bose L1 just like me liking my Bose doesn't change the sound coming from your PA.

FWIW, I could care less how much land you own.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes View Post
I'm no longer a moderator and sometimes I don't heed the advice I'm about to give, but let's keep it cordial, guys. It's ok to disagree.

John
cakes I think when the "smug and condesending remark followed by his own smug and condesending remarks is where the Nice went in the crapper. LOL
Nevertheless, sage advice that. here here.............

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 AM

Well, back to the topic.
Personally, I don't think the system II is worth the extra money, it was hard enough as it was to justify two grand for the LI system.....even though I feel it has paid for itself several times over. And remember, like most electronic things these days, the PAS is made in China and Bose is making a lot of profit per unit. On the other hand, you get a stable retail price structure, low depreciation, and outstanding support.

I guess when you factor in the T1 ToneMatch module, there's a difference of roughly 500 bucks between the old LI and the system II.....still too much I think.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Well, back to the topic.
Personally, I don't think the system II is worth the extra money, it was hard enough as it was to justify two grand for the LI system.....even though I feel it has paid for itself several times over... ...On the other hand, you get a stable retail price structure, low depreciation, and outstanding support.

I guess when you factor in the T1 ToneMatch module, there's a difference of roughly 500 bucks between the old LI and the system II.....still too much I think.
This post seems to make more of a case that the new system is worth the money than it does that it isn't.

If the old system paid for itself many times over, the new system, with the added benefit of improved performance and practicality, could be expected to pay for itself a few times over in the same period.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
This post seems to make more of a case that the new system is worth the money than it does that it isn't.

If the old system paid for itself many times over, the new system, with the added benefit of improved performance and practicality, could be expected to pay for itself a few times over in the same period.
Maybe. Since the new system only has one input, it is reliant on the T1 module whereas the L1 isn't. And for most I'll bet the lighter weight and design of the base will be an improvement, but I can think of a number of setups where it wouldn't have worked for me. The added dispersion would be nice though.

Another point about the new system is that the tower speakers aren't ported.....this will mean some different mids and cancel out just about all low reflection. Could be a good thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I would never say that the Bose system is better than the traditional approach. People who know how to run sound do quite well with traditional systems. As a solo or duo player primarily, my problem with the traditional system was I never really knew how I sounded in the audience. With the Bose system, I am hearing what the audience is hearing, for the most part. This takes a lot of the stress out of performing for me. The ease of setup is pretty nice also. I play a weekly gig with my Bose system. It takes me 15 minutes to setup (including trips to the car). I also have a lot of pedals and such nonsense. Sometimes I go and play pure--just the guitar/mic and a tuner. I could setup in 7 to 10 minutes that way. I'm not exaggerating. I check my time weekly.

The smaller footprint and lighter weight appeals to me. The effects in the T1 appeal to me somewhat and the presets alot. The new price is a headscratcher, though. It'll cost me $1400 after I sell my Classic L1 for $1600. I need to subtract $500 from the $1400 because I would invariably get the T1 regardless for my Classic L1. Therefore, the new system would essentially be a $900 upgrade. What I am wrestling with is: Is the lighter weight, added dispersion, smaller base, retractable legs worth $900? Oh, I'd need to add a couple hundred for tax, too. More like $1100. That's a lot of change.

Last edited by Earthworm; 04-03-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot about the tax
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Cocobologist

Bottom Line -- I'll definitely check one out and, if the difference is that big, I'll upgrade. However, it's gonna have to be some major improvements in order to get me to move away from my L1 Classic...

(Classic? I've owned this thing 18 months and it's already a classic?!? Wow... )

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
...Another point about the new system is that the tower speakers aren't ported.....this will mean some different mids and cancel out just about all low reflection. Could be a good thing.
I wasn't aware that the arrayed speakers are no longer ported. I wonder if the crossover to the bass module has been moved up as a result and if the efficiency was reduced.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I wasn't aware that the arrayed speakers are no longer ported. I wonder if the crossover to the bass module has been moved up as a result and if the efficiency was reduced.
I'd say yes. I read somewhere that the Model II was only available with a bass module. The bass module is optional with the model I. Mine(model I) doesn't sound good with the bass module unhooked. That might also be the reasoning behind only selling the with the bass module.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
Terry, why do you feel it necessary to enter this thread and bash the Bose PAS? You acting like a big shot doesn't change the sound coming from my Bose L1 just like me liking my Bose doesn't change the sound coming from your PA.

FWIW, I could care less how much land you own.
In a discussion, you'll often find that more than one point of view is offered...if you only want people to reinforce the notion that the L1 is the only PA worth owning, the Bose forum might be more to your taste...this is The Acoustic Guitar Forum.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Man...... I'm amazed at how much turmoil this thread has created.

My Bose L1/B1 was shipping when the new system was announced. I'm not returning it or all that worked up about the new system. It will be available in a few months so theirs no sense speculating what it is, how will it compare, is it too much money, etc until it is released and you get a chance to try it out.

ALSO.... The Bose system, nor any other system, is the right thing for everyone to own (that goes for the Bose 1 or 2 as well).

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell