The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 PM

Default LR Baggs iMix

Hello everyone. I am new here--my first post.

I am looking for some opinions on the lr baggs iMix. This is a combination of the I-beam and Element. I have a '94 Taylor 810. I have been using the active I-beam already--though it must be replaced (kept shorting out--long story). So, I am looking at the iMix to get a little more power to "cut through" during solos. I did like the accoustic sound of the I-beam, so I don't want to lose that quality either. Advice?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Hi firelakekid,

I had an iMix in my 98 Taylor K65 that I sold to delray on this forum. I thought it was great. I mostly used the Element, but blended in a little iBeam to warm it up a bit. It was great. The iBeam was a little more feedback-prone, but if you've already had the iBeam, you probably know how to tweak it ...

1997 414kce
2005 T5 C2 Koa
2007 BTO GS Koa
Kamaka Baritone Ukulele

Last edited by Hapa; 12-19-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 AM

I have the element onboad in my 514ce. I like it and have been considering switching to the iMix to add the dual source of the iBeam. I have heard though that the iBeam is very prone to feedback and that you end up having to blend heaver to the Element (UST) to avoid the feedback.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 AM

if you can bank it...you could go with the imix but instead of the ust you could go with the m1 soundhole pick up....I've heard nothing but good things about this combination although I think the element is a great ust pick up (I run one in my guitar) it's still.....well.....a UST and very limited in reproducing a natural sound. I'm sure lr baggs can quote you for this if you decide to go with this combination....oh and the m1 is a plug and play with the imix system. Just plug the m1 into where the element would go in the preamp and bam you're ready to go....but to answer your original question...the imix is a very trusted pick up system...you can't go wrong with it...good luck with everything.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 AM

put an IMIX in my TS 912C, love it......my son and I are putting an IMIX Fishman replacement in his 25th Anniversary 414RCE over the holiday.....we'll let you know how it goes
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM

Have the IMIX in my CA X body guitar. I think it is excellent. Thought as said before I use mostly the Element with a little Ibeam.
Steve
Old 12-20-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should explain that I have sent my I-Beam to LR Baggs tech support. If they find anything wrong, they will send me a replacement. They think it has an intermitten short as it cuts out and I was having to tap the top of my guitar to get the sound. Very frustrating. So, one way or another, I'll have an I-beam. I have used the I-beam playing with a folk trio and now as a duo. We play folk, older country and some classic rock accoustic style. Our playing has not been in loud volume situations(though this may be changing) and I have never had any feedback with the I-beam. But it does have a softer, darker, mellower tone I would say. I thought since I am going through the trouble of replacement, I would add the element and have an iMix. My knowledge of pick ups is quite limited. I must admit that I am not sure what UST means. Mark, I looked at the M1 on the lr baggs site. I am not sure if I can combine the M1 with an I-beam or not. At any rate, I will keep reading and learning, I just wanna make a little more "noise". Paul
Old 12-20-2006, 10:26 PM

hey paul....UST=under saddle transducer=element=any pick up system that gets sound by placing a sensor beneath the saddle. Hope this helps a bit. And I do know for a fact that the m1 will work with the imix....LR baggs themselves told me that....hope this helps also... :c)

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi View Post
if you can bank it...you could go with the imix but instead of the ust you could go with the m1 soundhole pick up....I've heard nothing but good things about this combination although I think the element is a great ust pick up (I run one in my guitar) it's still.....well.....a UST and very limited in reproducing a natural sound. I'm sure lr baggs can quote you for this if you decide to go with this combination....oh and the m1 is a plug and play with the imix system. Just plug the m1 into where the element would go in the preamp and bam you're ready to go....but to answer your original question...the imix is a very trusted pick up system...you can't go wrong with it...good luck with everything.
One of my friends just put this configuration (I-beam, M1, and I-mix preamp) in his old Martin Shenandoah and it sounds outstanding! It's easily one of the most natural reproductions of acoustic sound I've ever heard live... I played for two years on an I-mix system that i really liked, but not as much once I heard the same system with the M1!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 AM

I've got the iMix in my 414CE and it is wonderful compared to the ES system that came with the guitar. I've used the element alone in a guitar and loved the sound and the ability of the UST to cut through a mix. I was looking for a bit more color ot the sound and now mix about 2/3 element and 1/3 iBeam for a natural sound with a good amount of cut. A very nice pickup choice and cannot recommend it highly enough. I have not however been able to compare it to the popular and very similar B-band A2.2 XOM though... might be worth checking out as well.
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 AM

That's exactly what I have -- installed at the suggestion of my repair guy who specializes in pickups. It's been fantastic.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 AM

I am interested in the iMix as well.... actually i have tried the M1 passive, just couldn't get used to my nails hitting the pickup all the time.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:43 AM

I have an iMix being installed on the guitar that's being built for me..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification