The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRacing View Post
A member of our guitar group suggested the Mackie Freeplay to me for rehearsal work at my townhouse. For open mic we use the JBL Eon One and it can easily over powers the room at half volume.

The Fishman Loudbox Performer has also been suggested to me because I play Baritone Acoustic. Works well for a low tuning song writer I know as well.

Is the Mackie good on the low end for low tunings? I'd like to run my analog pedal board into something as well. In a perfect world, I'd like to run a Kemper or Axe/Fx into the same mini PA rig for electric playing as well.

Thanks

Stew, if you have the budget (and can deal with 40 lbs) for the aforementioned Line 6 L2t, it is a better solution for low tones. I think the FreePlay will work, but it depends on the volume you need and if you will also need to use the unit for performances. If only for rehearsal, I think the FreePlay will work. It has 150 watts RMS and an 8” speaker. The Line 6 has a 10” woofer and 800 Watts RMS.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Stew, if you have the budget (and can deal with 40 lbs) for the aforementioned Line 6 L2t, it is a better solution for low tones. I think the FreePlay will work, but it depends on the volume you need and if you will also need to use the unit for performances. If only for rehearsal, I think the FreePlay will work. It has 150 watts RMS and an 8” speaker. The Line 6 has a 10” woofer and 800 Watts RMS.
Since your suggestion on the Line 6 L2t I have been doing a lot of product research and seems to be the great unit for my purposes. Combined with a Fractal Audio AX8 I would have an all in one unit for Acoustic, Mic an Electric with mic as well I suppose. The FRFR capability is what I want because you can always add additional preamps like a Radial or LR Baggs. With the AX8 you couple also run an acoustic amp model as well.

I hate spending money twice and having redundancy. This could work. A little overkill one could say but you can always turn the volume down in the townhouse, while still having it when you need it.

Does this Line 6 unit have a direct competitor right now?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Since your suggestion on the Line 6 L2t I have been doing a lot of product research and seems to be the great unit for my purposes. Combined with a Fractal Audio AX8 I would have an all in one unit for Acoustic, Mic an Electric with mic as well I suppose. The FRFR capability is what I want because you can always add additional preamps like a Radial or LR Baggs. With the AX8 you couple also run an acoustic amp model as well.

I hate spending money twice and having redundancy. This could work. A little overkill one could say but you can always turn the volume down in the townhouse, while still having it when you need it.

Thanks
If you are looking for FRFR powered speaker for use with either a Fractal or Kemper, I would strongly recommend checking out the Atomic CLR. It is a great solution for use with these digital modeling systems and gives you a feel that is more amp-like than others I have tried. It works equally well with acoustic and electric guitars (I run them all through a Fractal and CLR). The Matrix Amplification line is worth a look too. If you check the Fractal and KPA forums, there are a lot of user reviews of the various FRFR options out there.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The 40 lb thing is my main concern. I wish there was a lighter FRFR available with similar features as the L2T. I don’t need anywhere near 800 W, but a 2 Chan mixer with effects is required.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-21-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks

There are lots of speaker like this. What makes the Line 6 unique is that the mixer includes a body Rez function for acoustic pickups, chorus and reverb. Moreover, the unit’s voicing make it real ideal for the different applications. My only criticism of the unit is weight and the fact that it doesn’t like quiet rehearsal volumes.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle1 View Post
If you are looking for FRFR powered speaker for use with either a Fractal or Kemper, I would strongly recommend checking out the Atomic CLR. It is a great solution for use with these digital modeling systems and gives you a feel that is more amp-like than others I have tried. It works equally well with acoustic and electric guitars (I run them all through a Fractal and CLR). The Matrix Amplification line is worth a look too. If you check the Fractal and KPA forums, there are a lot of user reviews of the various FRFR options out there.
For a microphone, I would just need a small PA Mixer correct. I could even run the Acoustic through a PA mixer as well and use an A/B Box for the Electric if I wanted to as well, correct? That would be for an Atomic monitor.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Full Compass just gave me a killer deal on the Line6 L2t... can’t wait to try it out!
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Full Compass just gave me a killer deal on the Line6 L2t... can’t wait to try it out!

Awesome!! Please report back.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:22 PM

Please do tell us how you get along with your Line6 L2T - I've had mine for a couple of years now and its a real workhorse. I use mine with my Acoustic guitar, and with a Line6 JTV Variax, for electric and the modeled acoustics in the Variax. It's a great sounding amp for a lot of uses.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
Please do tell us how you get along with your Line6 L2T - I've had mine for a couple of years now and its a real workhorse. I use mine with my Acoustic guitar, and with a Line6 JTV Variax, for electric and the modeled acoustics in the Variax. It's a great sounding amp for a lot of uses.
I just got a Helix last month. Sold most of my pedals to buy it. Also just sold my acoustic combo amp and my electric tube amp is for sale. I plan on using the L2t obviously for both acoustic and electric. As a monitor or FRFR PA. For my daughters keyboard, or for an mo3 player for outdoor parties. So many applications. The L2t + helix has simplified my gear a ton and expanded my capabilities.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Had my L2t for a month or so, used it for acoustic, electric (with helix), and monitor. Just awesome. I wish I had known about FRFRs sooner... no going back to acoustic amps for me.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 PM

For me it's not an either/or. Each has it's place and if you can have all then you have options you may not have ever considered before. I have acoustic amps, a PA and an electric guitar amp. I find that I prefer to play through my PA until I don't, then I play through my amps. PA get's about 80% of the play.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-20-2017, 09:41 PM

Arrow

The Line 6 Helix Floor is working great for me with a pair of Yamaha DXR10 FRFR PA Monitors with my Acoustic Electric Guitars. For near field Studio Monitor, the JBL LSR308 do the job. Helix's dedicated Acoustic AuxIn and other I/O, as well as the on board FX (Mic PreAmp's, Compressors, EQ, Modulation, Delays, Reverbs, etc.) are phenomenal to all have in one box. The UI is outstanding. YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification