The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Smile TC bodyrez + zoom a3

Hi there,

I just bought a TC bodyrez (which I didn't received yet), and I read some good reviews about the zoom a3.
Will they pair ok, or are they redundant?
I only play at home thru a Fender acoustic amplifier.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Sure they do. I have both. Put the Bodyrez first, before the A3 because of the compression added from the Bodyrez.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Smile

Thanks for your reply, RockerDuck.

I'm guessing you turn the bodyrez function off, on the A3. Is that correct?
Old 08-08-2017, 10:50 AM

If you like the Body Res and want some of the features of the A3, I would opt for the TC Play Acoustic system. You get the vocal processing to boot. However, all the outputs are XLR DIs. It expects you to send the signal to a PA system and not an amp. Otherwise, there is a good bit of redundancy between those.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:25 AM

I would love to know what your findings are.....i also want a body res to put before my A3, is it worth it or does the zoom just as good a job......
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM

In my opinion, this is a mistake. The modeling in Zoom is just as good. And, multiple parametric EQ systems and filters in series would be hard to configure.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Dave is correct, I wouldn’t recommend using both. The Body Rez is a “mini” modeling pedal whereas the A3 is a full-scale modeler. Using both will over process the sound and I imagine the compression and EQ the Body Rez applies to the signal would make it hard for the A3 to reshape it.

The Body Rez is a nice and easy “quick fix” for a lot of pickups. However, everything it does is available in the A3 and more customizable.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM

You can certainly turn the A3 modeling off and just use the A3's EQ or other effects.

I rarely use the A3's modeling, though it can be useful when running sound for some guitars with UST or mag pickups. I generally use the A3 for EQ adjustments (you can run the graphic EQ and the parametric EQ in series if needed) and blending two sources.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 AM

So the bottom line is, keep my A3 use it as an EQ with or without compression or reverb and a bodyres as a modeler?
I'm so glad the is feedback over this subject because I love the A3 and I've already got an TC harmony singer and mic mechanic to handle my vox so the play acoustic would be overkill besides the fact that i like to twist knobs on the fly when needed....thanks for the input and thanks to the thread starter....just what i was looking for.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:35 AM

Or like MartingitDave said are they just as good as each other, then saving a quick 95 euro's, hmmmm.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM

I have also wondered about using the two together but keep hearing "don't do it because the A3 has the same things as the bodyrez." However, as far as I know, and I've been using the A3 for several years, the A3 does NOT have any body resonance feature.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what I hear from my A3 but it has no body resonance modeling at all. So to me, they are NOT the same.

Aside from people talking theoretically, has anyone here actually used the two pedals together and can speak of their actual observations?

Thank you,
PJ
Old 01-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I have also wondered about using the two together but keep hearing "don't do it because the A3 has the same things as the bodyrez." However, as far as I know, and I've been using the A3 for several years, the A3 does NOT have any body resonance feature.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what I hear from my A3 but it has no body resonance modeling at all. So to me, they are NOT the same.

Aside from people talking theoretically, has anyone here actually used the two pedals together and can speak of their actual observations?

Thank you,
PJ
I'm waiting on my A3 to arrive so I may have to give it a try w/the Body Rez but, and I may be wrong, the modeling features of the Body Rez are probably a simplified version of what the A3 or an Aura does.

The "body resonance" modeling of the TC is nothing more than some compression, ambiance, and very detailed EQ applied to a pickup signal. From what I've listened to and read, the A3 does that but allows you to pick the guitar model, effects, and mic emulator. The Body Rez takes a "one-size fits all" approach and applies some generic compression, EQ, and mic emulation to your pickup signal. It's great, assuming it accurately reflects your guitar's sound and complements your pickup. If it doesn't

They're both re-shaping your guitar's pickup tone in a similar manner but calling it a different thing. I find the Body Rez is nice with a SBT but iffy with a UST. The A3 definitely seems more robust and adjustable for a wide array of pickups.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:

Thank you,
PJ
Hi Photojeep,
I have the A3 and the Play Acoustic, which has 5 different versions of the Bodyrez. I did not like them together - when using the Bodyrez. I used the modeling , compression and EQ from the A3 and used the effects (reverb, chorus and delay) from the Play Acoustic. The sound was way over processed when using the modeling together with the Bodyrez.

I did try just the eq from the A3 and let the Play Acoustic do the rest, but was not happy with the result. I bought the A3 after the Play Acoustic since I could not seem to get the results I was looking for with just the Play Acoustic alone.

Since that time, I bought a Behringer XR12 digital mixer. I now don’t use either the A3 or the Play Acoustic. I get the compression, EQ and effects for both vocal and guitar in this unit.

I had a big pedalboard with all that stuff - A3, Play Acoustic and Mixer to final EQ before going to the powered speakers. I had a nightmare of an event I was hosting. I had so much in the signal chain I could never get the sound to my liking. Gain staging was a nightmare. I got tired of worrying so much about all the stuff in my signal chain and trying to see what needed to be adjusted first. So my process engineering roots told me to eliminate the variables.

The only thing I miss is the harmonies I used ocassionally and the Looper. I used the Looper to play a verse, record and then walk the room with my iPad to digitally EQ everything before anyone arrived. I later found out how different the room sounded once it was filled with people. All that stuff in the signal chain made it way too hard for me to adjust on the fly.

Once I had the A3 feed the Play Acoustic the guitar signal from the 1/4” output and I turned the guitar output from the Play Acoustic to zero. This way I had the guitar to direct the harmonies without the Play Acoustic guitar being sent out. Then I sent the DI out of the A3 to the powered speaker for just the guitar. Vocal came from the Play Acoustic and the guitar from the A3. Worked okay, but I still felt I needed some EQ with my vocal. Therefore I added the mixer in between.

This is just my experiences and I found I was spending way more time tinkering with all the variables in the chain and less time practicing - which I definitely need more of. So I dropped all the in between and now just use the mixer.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Thank you MartyC,
This is the experience I was looking for. I also went from a fairly large pedalboard to just the A3 and a holy grail (I like their reverb more than the A3's 'verb...) and now think the AD10 may be even better for me.

Of course this is all in the ears of the listener so I'm not sure if I will pull that particular trigger but I hope to test it out soon.

On a slightly different note, we use the Behringer XR16 at my church which I believe is practically the same as your XR12 (with 4 additional channels). Did you find your XR12's wireless connection to be problematic? I recently found I was unable to connect with my iPhone, iPad, or even my Macbook Air. Once we reset the router all was fine again. From what I've read, the XR16 uses 2.4Ghz for its wireless connection but apparently that is prone to overuse by other nearby units. (I really don't know what most of that means)

Anyways, thank you again for sharing your experiences,
PJ
Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you MartyC,
This is the experience I was looking for. I also went from a fairly large pedalboard to just the A3 and a holy grail (I like their reverb more than the A3's 'verb...) and now think the AD10 may be even better for me.

Of course this is all in the ears of the listener so I'm not sure if I will pull that particular trigger but I hope to test it out soon.

On a slightly different note, we use the Behringer XR16 at my church which I believe is practically the same as your XR12 (with 4 additional channels). Did you find your XR12's wireless connection to be problematic? I recently found I was unable to connect with my iPhone, iPad, or even my Macbook Air. Once we reset the router all was fine again. From what I've read, the XR16 uses 2.4Ghz for its wireless connection but apparently that is prone to overuse by other nearby units. (I really don't know what most of that means)

Anyways, thank you again for sharing your experiences,
PJ
Haven't had any issues to this point, but only had it a short time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bodyrez, zoom a3 pedal