The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Default K&K with Baggs Venue DI advice sought

I used to have a K&K Pure XLR, and after that a fire-eye. They both worked fantastic with my J50 and K&K mini.

More recently I started gigging more with a few of my guitars that have a Baggs M80 and an Element VTC (UST). I bought a Baggs Venue DI, which works great for those. It sounds adequate for my K&K as well - but just adequate.

I am feeling the need to gig with the J50 more. I could go out and re-buy a K&K Pure XLR - I suppose. But I like having the boost button for solos. Anyways, I am digressing.

For those of you who have used a K&K through the Venue, can you advise on settings? I know there is the impedance mismatch, but can you compensate? Lower gain on the venue? I am trying to improve the sound without spending the dough for a K&K or Fire-Eye (by the way does the fire-eye have the correct impedance match with the K&K?).

Finally, I read on another forum (gearpage) that simply using a Boss tuner pedal before going into the Venue DI fixes the impedance issue and will improve the sound drastically. Thoughts?

I like that idea, as the tuner pedal would be an improvement over the tuner in the Venue DI. That tuner is also about 40% the price of a fire-eye.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:10 PM

What do you mean by "just adequate"?
Too bassy? Not enough bass? Can you say more about what you don't like
about the sound with the J-50 into the Venue?

How are you adjusting the input level control on the Venue?

The Venue has a 10 Megaohm input impedance. The K&K has an impedance
of 1 megaohm. As long as the Venue has a higher impedance than the
K&K (which it does) you should be fine. However, that gain must be adjusted
correctly.

Please forgive if you know this all too well. Just some random thoughts for
discussion purposes.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I used to have a K&K Pure XLR, and after that a fire-eye. They both worked fantastic with my J50 and K&K mini.

More recently I started gigging more with a few of my guitars that have a Baggs M80 and an Element VTC (UST). I bought a Baggs Venue DI, which works great for those. It sounds adequate for my K&K as well - but just adequate.

I am feeling the need to gig with the J50 more. I could go out and re-buy a K&K Pure XLR - I suppose. But I like having the boost button for solos. Anyways, I am digressing.

For those of you who have used a K&K through the Venue, can you advise on settings? I know there is the impedance mismatch, but can you compensate? Lower gain on the venue? I am trying to improve the sound without spending the dough for a K&K or Fire-Eye (by the way does the fire-eye have the correct impedance match with the K&K?).

Finally, I read on another forum (gearpage) that simply using a Boss tuner pedal before going into the Venue DI fixes the impedance issue and will improve the sound drastically. Thoughts?

I like that idea, as the tuner pedal would be an improvement over the tuner in the Venue DI. That tuner is also about 40% the price of a fire-eye.
K&K Minis have a tendency to sound muddy w/pre-amps that are higher-impedance than they are. Many use it just fine but they do seem to sound clearer if run through a preamp or pedal with a 1 megaohm impedance. The Boss not only has the matching impedance but it's a buffer as well, so you'll receive a slight gain boost to go along with your decreased impedance. It should work fine.

Another option is the BBE Sonic Stomp, which will match impedance specs and clean up the K&K's sound a slight bit.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 08-04-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys.

I do think the impedance input match is supposed to be ideal. And I am a newb in this electronics stuff. I am learning.

I did ask on UMGF, got a great solution from Kevin there...

I bought a Boss tuner off reverb an hour ago. It has the right match. So my K&K J50 will go into the tuner, then the tuner into the Venue, and the baggs venue into my Fish stick. I'll try it out when i get it.

Thanks for answering gents.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 08-04-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Like you, I was never able to get a decent tone with a K&K and a Venue. I tried twice and sold it both times. Generally speaking these days I just go straight into my amp and EQ there with no problems but if I need a boost of some volume/EQ on the fly then I will use either my K&K belt clip pre-amp or my Red Eye.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 PM

I have the K&K in my J-45 TV and I use the Venue DI and I cannot seem to get rid of the over bearing mid range sound. I even have both the High Mid and Low Mids just about all the way to the left. I like the flexibility of having the boost feature and the tuner but the sound is not 100% to my liking.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
K&K Minis have a tendency to sound muddy w/pre-amps that are higher-impedance than they are. Many use it just fine but they do seem to sound clearer if run through a preamp or pedal with a 1 megaohm impedance. The Boss not only has the matching impedance but it's a buffer as well, so you'll receive a slight gain boost to go along with your decreased impedance. It should work fine.

Another option is the BBE Sonic Stomp, which will match impedance specs and clean up the K&K's sound a slight bit.
This was my experience. 400K to 1M Ohm is preferred, according to the K&K website. I purchased a Red Eye and it does the trick for a passive K&K. They red eye is 1M Ohm. It's phantom or battery powered, so that's a plus. Also, if you have a TC Play Acoustic pedal, or needed one otherwise, that's one of the best ways to preamp the K&K. The impedance (1.07M Ohm) matches very well with the K&K. Moreover, you get the body rez features, and effects, which are great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification