The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2017, 05:23 AM

Default iRig Acoustic Stage - loving it!

I bought a 1954 Gibson LG2 that's in great shape and didn't want to make any structural changes to it at all so I figured the iRig Acoustic Stage was worth a shot for $89.

What a great little device, I get very accurate reproduction using it in combination with my Fishman Loudbox artist, and the 1 button feedback killer is one of the best and fasted I've seen.

It sounded so good with the 1954 LG2 that I decided to give it a try on my 2013 LG2 American eagle that has a K&K mini installed. Being able to blend the K&K with the iRig's microphone using the iRig's belt pack preamp does wonderful things to bring out the nuances of the American Eagle.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 07-22-2017, 12:58 PM

I certainly agree that its a great little mic and preamp combo for the price. I like blending mine with a passive PUTW I/O UST.

One thing to watch out for is a signal compressing or limiting effect when the volume knob is fully on (clockwise). I did some recording experiments and found a sharply limited signal (using the mic alone) when the volume knob was fully up. I found that I could avoid that problem by only taking the volume knob halfway and increasing the gain at the recorder. I also avoid that problem when I blend in the tiny signal from the I/O UST (as it reduces the overall output level). The K&K Mini Pure may be doing the same for you, as its output is only a bit stronger than the I/O UST's output, in my experience. (I used to have both pickups in the same guitar.)

The other caveat is that the iRig Acoustic Stage's output level is relatively low (due to its relatively low 3v power supply) compared to typical active pickups. Some open mic hosts may have trouble dealing with it. At one particular open mic, two of us iRig Acoustic Stage users weren't able to get a high enough level without inserting a second preamp into the signal chain. (I suspect the host could have gotten enough gain by boosting the master level on the PA mixer, but then she would have had to reduce the levels on the mic channels to compensate.)

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-22-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
The other caveat is that the iRig Acoustic Stage's output level is relatively low (due to its relatively low 3v power supply) compared to typical active pickups. Some open mic hosts may have trouble dealing with it.
Yes, I've noticed that, but haven't really had an issue as I run from the iRig to a TC Helicon Live Acoustic where I can set the gain sent to the amp or house. Have never really plugged it in direct to a speaker as I have the Live Acoustic gain set to +15dB and use the volume knob on the iRig and a +3dB boost on one of the switch 3 buttons attached to the TCH for a little added punch when needed.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
Yes, I've noticed that, but haven't really had an issue as I run from the iRig to a TC Helicon Live Acoustic where I can set the gain sent to the amp or house. Have never really plugged it in direct to a speaker as I have the Live Acoustic gain set to +15dB and use the volume knob on the iRig and a +3dB boost on one of the switch 3 buttons attached to the TCH for a little added punch when needed.
Cool. You have the low output thing covered with the Live Acoustic in the signal chain - plus get you other benefits like EQ, boost & EFX. Nice.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM

I found another potential problem with the iRig Acoustic Stage at last night's home recording session. If you're an "enthusiastic" strummer and picker like I am, the mic gives off a pretty loud click with a direct hit from a pick. I'm getting a pretty loud clacking sound at 1:27 into this recording. It was actually the loudest point (judging from the waveform peak) in my mix. I'm thinking that I may need to use the uncompressed mix because the click happens so fast that it avoids compression and gets accentuated.

https://www.reverbnation.com/garyhal...e-box-in-texas
Old 07-23-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I found another potential problem with the iRig Acoustic Stage at last night's home recording session. If you're an "enthusiastic" strummer and picker like I am, the mic gives off a pretty loud click with a direct hit from a pick. I'm getting a pretty loud clacking sound at 1:27 into this recording. It was actually the loudest point (judging from the waveform peak) in my mix. I'm thinking that I may need to use the uncompressed mix because the click happens so fast that it avoids compression and gets accentuated.

https://www.reverbnation.com/garyhal...e-box-in-texas
If you're hitting the pickup, you might get relief by moving it elsewhere in the sound-hole than 6 o'clock.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 07-23-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 07-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
If you're hitting the pickup, you might get relief by moving it elsewhere in the sound-hole than 6 o'clock.
Didn't think it was such a big deal 'til the compression accentuated the click (my compressor's minimum attack time is .1 seconds) and then I noticed that it was the strongest peak in my guitar track.

I've since removed the compression and the mix probably sounds better without compression. That won't always be the case, however, so those quick little clacks could get very problematic (when I genuinely need compression for an improved result). I may well have to experiment with positioning, or play a lot more carefully.

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-23-2017 at 07:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification