The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I used the Bose system for about 150 gigs and then also grew tired of the sound and it left me wanting/needing more.

I've since upgraded to an HK Elements system and have TWO sets of this configuration which I've used for over 300 gigs now:

E435 (Line Array)
E435
EPONE (Extender Pole)
E110SUBA (Subwoofer)

For small-spaced gigs I use the setup above with just a single E435. For large/outdoor gigs, I setup all four E435's with both subs. Because this system is modular and scalable, it allows me to use 1 to 4 line arrays, and 1 to 2 subs, which can fit any need of any gig.

But the one thing that sets the HK element apart from the Bose, JBL and all the other line array systems is that each E435 can be rotated a full 360 degrees and can extend up from just 2 feet off the ground (no extender pole) to 9 feet in the air (fully extended). This allows me to get the most effective dispersion in any room or space.

If you're in the U.K., you can get this system a bit cheaper than we can here in the US as it's made in Germany. Just check it out, happy hunting.
That certainly seems to be a very flexible set of components - how would you describe the sound in comparison to the Bose? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Related to this thread, I just played a gig last night where the setup/placement of my HK Elements system was really tested and served me well.

Because of the small space, I had to extend the line arrays as high as I could to reach the far side folks but not blow out those right in front of me.

For reference, I stand 6-ft. tall, and you can also see how I have one line array rotated for sufficient dispersion & coverage.

This setup allowed me to keep the volume down at comfortable levels so people could have normal conversations.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Looks really cool. The picture conveys a lot of perspective; thanks for posting that.

Out of curiosity, anyone know who the U.S. dealers would be for HK products?
Old 06-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Korg is the US distributor for HK products, but there are lots of retailers. Online, I've bought some units from wwbw.com (through Amazon), but I know there are other local shops. Not sure where you're located, but dannyd.com in Houston sells them locally as well as online.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I have QSC k8's, K10's and K12's, Touchmix 8 and also Allen & Heath Zed10FX mixer.

And I also have a Bose L1 Compact.

Yes the QSC wins the fidelity contest overall. But for my gigging needs, the L1 Compact is all I need. I stand right in front of it or off to the side. I get ideal monitoring and find the sound level for the audience closest to me is very similar to those farthest away. That is the magic of the Bose. (And I have been an audio/fidelity snob) But I get a quality of sound that is just fine. The convenience however, fastest set up and tear down time however is infinitely simpler. As often as I gig (a lot) ...convenience makes up the difference.

Would I like a better sounding line array solution that equals or outperforms the Bose? Yes. But for now, its working great and is a very elegant solution with a tiny footprint, great nearfield monitoring and wonderful dispersion. For those reasons it wins. I never wanted a Bose system but my Duo partner got one. Then I got one and we can use a pair for the small quiet band gigs too.

It just works. (and I have all that other GREAT gear that can be used, but I only lift it and bring when I have to.) Just my .02 worth.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I bought an HK Audio Nano 608i system last year...I'm happy with it.

You can set up the 608i as a cube amp, a linear array, or a 2.1 stereo system and you can also control the vertical dispersion. It's a flexible design and it sounds clear and warm with plenty of dynamics. At 36 pounds it's easy to lift as well. By the way, I recommend getting the optional S-Connect Pole.

You can mix your sound wirelessly with an iPad and stream music via Bluetooth.
I had heard of this before but ignored it because I was content to use what I already owned, but since last night, hearing the warmth of the JBL Eon One, I have no desire to ever go back to my overly hi-fi focused L1 II.

After reading your post I immediately started reading up on the Nano 608i and I'm probably going to end up buying one unless I find a better option before purchase time rolls around. Having just bought the Eon One my finances are not conducive to buying another system, but with the price I got on it, I have no regrets.

I haven't seen my Bose system in over half a year, but I made the decision a while back that when I do, it'll be going on the market and that may be the time to follow your lead and get the HK system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification