The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Quick Youtube "demo" for my Acoustic Duo. Whatcha Think?

Hey folks - please give a listen - tell me what you think? Mike and I are going to link to this, and use it to get bar and restaurant gigs locally. It is "takes" from 12 songs we had some fun with last night.

Hurl tomatoes--- let me know what you think?

Old 11-05-2016, 01:15 PM

I have watched the whole video through and I think the playlist is awesome and that this could be a great duo at any place...Go for it guys !
Old 11-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Thank you very much del! We recorded this stuff impromptu. I think next time I'll turn the gain down on the mic, but place it closer. The two of us really like playing together, so that's a lot of fun.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:17 PM
AGF Administrator

Sounds good. I'd book you. I'd probably not use any visual effects and would maybe shorten the video a bit, but that's just me. For what it's worth...
Old 11-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

That's great advice... and I'll heed it. I'm going to shoot for a 3minute medley of snippets from five songs. Thanks man.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:25 PM

It makes me want to sit back and enjoy a cold one. Well done.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:49 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
That's great advice... and I'll heed it. I'm going to shoot for a 3minute medley of snippets from five songs. Thanks man.
You guys sound good together, you should share some of your full-length songs here.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:56 AM

You guys sound really good together. I would not use the video extras and put in color. I watched all of this one and one in color was better.

Good luck!
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 11-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I don't think you are doing yourselves justice with this video, especially if you intend to use it for marketing yourselves - but given your own comments I think you know that...

Yes - closer mics (and video) and even though your vocals come over well, I would say more voice less guitars, which sound a lot better the times when you get away from strumming the same or very similar chords.

I also agree with the comments about video effects.

I did enjoy listening to it. You did ask - and I took the tomatoes out the tin first!

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-07-2016, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Rod... Your tomatoes are accurate and well-intentioned. Thank you for listening, and know I will take your advice and act on the generous spirit in which it was given.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:59 AM

Rod's comments don't even come across as "tomatoes" at ll....just some good tips for your duo. I really like the fact that in the quieter tunes you echo aspects of the Everly Brothers. Very nice indeed. Good luck with the gigs.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 11-07-2016, 11:04 AM

I think you guys sound great. Add some more Eagles..Tequila Sunrise sounded amazing. I'd love to get into an acoustic duo myself.

As some others have stated the video does not do you justice. The vocals and guitars sound too far away.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:20 PM

Visual : Coloured video would be nice I think..Also try some different shots with 2nd camera if this is possible , your faces ,fingers close ups etc..Cam closer to you ,generally..
Shorten the video to 3-4 minutes,and try include different rhythm ,tempo and style songs for variety..

Audio : Mics definitely closer to you and the guitars ,maybe use a blend with mic and guitars plugged in, if they are electro acoustics..

Music : Try the two guitars NOT playing the same parts...
Apart from strumming ....solos ,riffs, basslines ,fill-ins,groove variations, harmonies,or even rests would be some alternatives..The result will be more interesting..

Voices : You are great together, sounds very nice and warm..
Good luck with the gigs!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks fellas. I know you are right about playing different guitar parts. I just have to get less lazy.

Your collective help is really apprciated gents!
Old 11-07-2016, 06:20 PM

I like it! Along with Jeremy, I'd book you, too.

I agree with the comments about the vid effect. That classic filmstrip effect doesn't fit this. If you were doing 1920s jazz it would.

It sounds good - skilled and engaging though it does sound roomy. You could certainly get a clearer and richer sound with more attention to the tech side (closer miking) but the trade-off of course would be that your attention would be divided between tech and performance. And the performance was really great here. If you were to record a more polished version IMO you'd do well to toss in a couple hundred bucks and hire a good location recording engineer so you can focus on performing. Honestly, I think the sound is perfectly fine for your purpose.

It's been mentioned that the arranging of the guitars would sound better if they were playing different parts. I agree. Could be done in a complex way or a simple way. It would be pretty simple to do a low-high duo guitar arrangement using a capo on one of the guitars and playing the same type of strumming accompaniment you're doing now. One of you would just have to transpose your chords and play higher on the neck with a capo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell