The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

OK, obsolete thread, but, personally, I've tried almost every magic box out there and not a single one produces a more natural acoustic sound than plugging into a good preamp then straight into an amp or PA, at least for me and my stuff.

Someone mentioned the Mamma Bear from DTar, it's the only one I tried that I still own. I don't use it very often, but I think the acoustic tones from it are some of the most natural out there.
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2003 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC
2009 Gibson EC-20
1957 Gibson ES225 TDC
2012 Taylor DNce Fall Limited
1989 Alvarez Yari DY62C
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 08-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
OK, obsolete thread, but, personally, I've tried almost every magic box out there and not a single one produces a more natural acoustic sound than plugging into a good preamp then straight into an amp or PA, at least for me and my stuff.

Someone mentioned the Mamma Bear from DTar, it's the only one I tried that I still own. I don't use it very often, but I think the acoustic tones from it are some of the most natural out there.

I believe the Mama Bear was an early attempt at IR convolution, the same technology used in the Fishman Aura Tonedexter products. There are a few other players in the market too.

I agree with the sentiment. I'm going to be employing two different setups. The first is the all-in-one Fishman Aura F1 Plus in my HD28E Retro.

The second is the K&K PM with a custom battery free preamp. I'm employing the K&K in the two guitars that really need to avoid batteries and under saddle transducers for some practical reasons. If I find that the K&K needs additional tone shaping help, I plan to use the custom body Rez feature in the TC Play Acoustic pedal, or potentially invest in a Tondexter.

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."
Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM

I love Zombie threads, especially if I don't notice it until I realized I posted on it.

I have a friend with an older Taylor he's had a while. In love with neither its acoustic or electric tone, it's just so darn competent at both. The Toyota Camry of guitars. Never lets you down.
2014 Martin 00 15 12 fret custom
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play your guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification