The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 PM

Default Video explanation of the Cole Clark 3 Way Pickup System

This looks fascinating to me! (I have never played one).

The CC 3 Way pickup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-3Da1GpH8

BluesKing777.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 AM

I love the looks of that one he is playing !

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

I liked the video, but....I think you should have explained what the whole system is, how many elements, and then start bringing them in. I wasn't sure at first where we/you were going or what all was going to be demo'd.

I listened a couple times too, with Vic Firth headphones and I went back and forth between just the Piezo system and the Cole, and the Cole was much fuller in the low and low mids, but I could not hear the improvement in the highs. I'm sure playing it live you'd here, but I couldn't make it out demo wise.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Ha, just pointing out that it is not me in the video, or anything to do with me - I just thought the pickup system was a really good idea and thought some would like to see it!

BluesKing777.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 PM

Brilliant. Makes perfect sense to me. I also like the compact nature of the preamp and the internal "no-pop" jack. I can see why so many international players gig these guitars live. I got to meet and do a little jam session with Jack Johnson for a charity event earlier this year. He's a great guy, by the way. He and his band play Cole Clarks on stage. I will admit that they aren't the best sounding guitar acoustically, but they sound amazing when amplified. Definitely a stage guitar.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 PM

Yes, I thought it sounded good. I mean, what more can they do for you? 5 way system? Plus mic? Plus Aura? Plus Tonedexter?

And everyone says they sound ordinary acoustically, these guitars. Sort of a “you can have all this, but you have to play THAT. Ha Ha.....”

They say that about Matons, but my new SRS808 is delightful - they began scalloping braces and other improvements about 2013.... Guess I will have to go try a CC in thhe flesh.

Here is another different Cole Clark review on Reverb.com:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYYSA345YY

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 10-17-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM

I think that is a very well thought out system. I don't know if I would go out and buy a Cole Clark just for the system though. If I ever saw one on a music store wall I would certainly give it a spin to satisfy my curiosity.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I have owned a half dozen Cole Clarks specifically for the pickup system. I have settled in on the Angel model ( grand auditorium size) as the one that fits me best, and the one that produces an amplified tone that is most desirable to me. I now have only one, which is a custom shop Angel with the old two-way system... piezo and FaceBrace. For live amplification, I have found the Mic on the three-way system to be more of a nuisance than a value-add for tone. For direct recording using a pickup, the three-way system is pretty cool.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

And everyone says they sound ordinary acoustically, these guitars. Sort of a “you can have all this, but you have to play THAT. Ha Ha.....”

They say that about Matons, but my new SRS808 is delightful - they began scalloping braces and other improvements about 2013.... Guess I will have to go try a CC in thhe flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYYSA345YY

BluesKing777.

I think guitarists often struggle to appreciate tones they can't specifically reference, i.e. it doesn't sound like a Gibson or Martin. It's hard for guitar makers who try to achieve different sounds with their builds to break through as we're so accustomed to the sounds we've heard on recordings for 50+ years. Something with a different tonal character is often met with hostility, for example, Ovation, Rainsong, Cole Clark, and Maton.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I had a Cole Clark Fat Lady FL2A with the two-way system that sounded pretty good through a PA but the guitar was rather acoustically tonally subdued.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM

So why would people say they are quiet acoustically or tonally subdued?

For the people that have played the Cole Clarks - do you think the guitar tops are a bit thick to get vibrating?

And the 3rd part of the pickup system of adding the mic is the thing that interests me the most and we have one reply already that thinks the mic is a nuisance - feedback problem or a ‘twoiky’ sound?

BluesKing777.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

For the people that have played the Cole Clarks - do you think the guitar tops are a bit thick to get vibrating?

And the 3rd part of the pickup system of adding the mic is the thing that interests me the most and we have one reply already that thinks the mic is a nuisance - feedback problem or a ‘twoiky’ sound?

BluesKing777.
My Cole Clark Fat Lady FL2A was a 2009 model with a Bunya top and Queensland Maple back and sides. A good deal of the guitar, such as the top with its integral braces was machined from a solid-wood blank. The guitar was rather heavy and solidly-built. I haven't followed the company's products for a few years and maybe they've lightened their builds to be more responsive since 2009? At the time I bought mine, I auditioned a high-end Angel and it seemed more alive than my Fat Lady FL2A. Being close to the U.S. distributor of Cole Clark guitars, a store near me, in Leroy, New York, had at least 20 Cole Clarks of various models at that time.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

BluesKing777.
My issue regarding live sound was less related to feedback and more related to "Mic stuffed in a box" tone. If that is "twoiky", then yes. Didn't seem to be as apparent when using the mic in a small amount when recording directly from the pickup.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the replies!

The weekend is close and I will try a couple of CC's - they are just everywhere around here.....

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification