The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Collings Ukes

Did Collings really stop building ukes?
If so, why?
I have two and they are some of the best available.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

The stop was discussed on the Collings forum last fall with no restart date given. That's hardly official notice, but that's all I know.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Those that I tried were quite nice - exceptional instruments. I suspect that the market for $7K ukulele was probably pretty small...... once all three people who wanted one actually bought one, sales dried up.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM

What Earl said. Limited number of customers in the high end ukulele market. A secondary reason was the amount of labor it took to build a ukulele was almost the same as guitars. But they can charge more for a guitar than a ukulele, so from a business point of view it was a no brainer to temporarily discontinue the uke line, and focus their limited resources on guitar building.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 PM

With all due respect, one buys a Collings Uke because one desires a Uke built by Collings. Not because one wants the best Uke one can get. It may turn out to be just that, but that's not why it was bought.

And there's nothing at all wrong with that. I'm still on the hunt for a Larrivee Ukulele. Because I love all things Larrivee, and the two I've played rank up there with some of the best of I've played. But I know Kamaka's 100 years of experience would be a smarter buy than the Larrivee.

That being said, I've only seen one Collings. It was gorgeous. It sounded amazing. At around $2500 it didn't seem unreasonable in the least knowing the attention to detail it received and the quality of materials that were used. But they don't compete for the "best Uke" crown when serious players go shopping. Because they are built by a guitar maker in Texas. Not fair, but true. And that's probably why they are being shelved.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM

I have a Collings, it was around 800 bucks. Of course it doesn't have all that stuff that makes it a true super pro's uke, like a haircut headstock or figured Zambibioni wood with gold binding, but it certainly is a competent player.

I think, from blue's post, that one purchases a Collings to get an instrument that's quality, in sound, build. There is no "best" of anything, only competent.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I have a Collings, it was around 800 bucks.
If I ran across a plain Jane Collings for that price I'd be all

Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 AM

That's what a used UC1 sells for. Sure, rare, but they DO come up.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I don't think they have any plans to restart building ukes anytime soon.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
That's what a used UC1 sells for. Sure, rare, but they DO come up.
Thanks! I'll legitimately keep an eye out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments