The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
I believe that Martin has tried to address this issue for today's players by offering the "P" neck profile on the Performing Artist Series and now some of the classic models as well, like the new D-28P. My GPCPA1 frets quite easily for me, and even barre chords are pretty good up the neck with this new style/size neck.
yeah, I'm DYIN' to try a D-18P. What we need is a D-18GE/P and D-18A/P.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM

My Martin frets as easy as any Taylor I have ever played...but then again I own the new PA series Martin which makes all the difference in the world.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Neck profile, nut width, string spacing at the saddle, string to string spacing, spacing of strings relative to the edge of the FB are all factors in how comfortable a neck is to play.
Different folks have different preferences...hence, builders offer different options.

I find Taylors uncomfortable to play because of their relatively skinny neck profile.
I much prefer something like the Martin low-oval profile with a good set up.
And this effects the amount of pressure you have to apply to the strings? I find both neck shapes equally comfortable to play. Just seems I have to press harder on the strings of the Martin to have it fret properly. Keep in mind it isn't a chore or anything. I can just seem to play my Taylors a few hours longer than my Martins as the stiffer action wears my finger tips out.

This is by no means a Taylor is better than Martin thing... if my house caught on fire and I could save only one guitar... I'd come running out with my D-35. Best sounding guitar I've ever heard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion