The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor nylon model questions(NS52)

Hi folks
I have a nice fellow offering up a trade to my Yairi parlor steel string I have listed in the classifieds(killer parlor, loud, lyrical, and beautiful).

He has older versions of the NS72 and NS52. Fishman electrics, barndoor.

In video I've found on youtube, I tend to favor the NS52(cedar/mahogany) although I'm usually a rosewood type person. Seems with nylon the cedar/mahogany just has a more clear tone.

Both were gigged/used, 52 seems to be in better overall condition-I would guess 8 out of 10.
What would be an appropriate value of one of these older NS52 models in good, used condition?

Would appreciate your thoughts if you've owned/played either of these models.
Mostly to just be played in home for my own enjoyment, and more than likely unplugged.

thanks, all thoughts appreciated
d
Old 02-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

a quick eBay search showed actually sold units at these prices: NS72 $1534, ns62 $1376, NS64 $1550, NS64 $1130, NS32 $757.

no 52's listed.

But, I assume a $1300 price if a perfect modern version. I think $900-$1100 for the older one in 10/10 shape

If it was me, I would put it at $800-$900 value. I seem to recall that value when I had a 32 and was looking to upgrade.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 AM

I would try both and choose your favorite.
They're worth about 800.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I once owned a 2005 NS42ce. The older NS52 seems to be scarce and I've read very good remarks about them; it may be the best of the series from owner reports I've read. I've seen them with minor cosmetic issues for around $900 as I recall. I'd love to play the NS52ce and have regretted letting them pass when they show up. I do like the NS72 as well and hope I don't meet one these in person because at the right price, I'd probably buy it.

Fazool pretty much covered the prices I've seen but I'd say the market for 10/10 older model NS52 for me would be $1000 and $1300 for a NS72. It seems odd to price the NS72 $300 higher as I believe the 52 may be more special.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 PM

I play a NS 72ce as my goto guitar. I play this over an 814ce and a Ramirez 4e. Each has its own signature tone, but for whatever reason I gravitate back to the NS72.

I will say that the strings you put on will make or break any of the taylor nylons.

I have settled on Daddario carbon high tension trebles and composite bass strings in very high tension. This "mis match" is very evenly balanced on this guitar. An additional benefit is the slimmer strings give my clumbsy hands some more space between them.

Undoubtedly the Taylor NSs have a unique timbre, not to everyones taste. So try different strings. They are a nice playing guitar. Funny too, as a fingerstylist, I seem to get as much volume out of this little guitar as I get out of my 814ce. Of course the Ramirez blows them both away for volume...but I want to be heard, I plug in! Ha!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Daryl,

I have bought two NS52ce guitars and about four NS72ce's over the past few years. I like both models a lot (better than any of the newer ce-N models), but like the NS52ce (cedar/mahogany) better than the NS72ce's.

I think an excellent one should sell for around $1500, but I am a patient buyer and bought most of mine in the $975 to $1100 range (a little higher for one of them). If you can get one in the $800 to $900 range in good shape as some suggested...I would jump all over it! If I did not already have one...I would buy one in that price range in a heartbeat (I might still buy it if anyone has a good one that they will let go of in that price range).

I think I told you previously that I pulled the Fishman pickup out of my N52ce and replaced it with a Barbera Transducer and it is an extraordinary guitar with that setup...one of my all time favorites. They only made a very limited number of these, get one if you can...I'll bet you'll be happy with it.

Chris

YouTube Site

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical