The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Please recommend an external preamp for piezo UST

I have a guitar with the piezo USTs, and am interested in finding a good external preamp that can do the things we all need when using this type of pickup. In other words, make it sound a lot more like a mic'd acoustic and less like a piezo. There are many choices out there, and I'd like your feedback on experiences with what is available.

1) Paramount is removing the negative qualities of the 'piezo tone' and having it sound more like a guitar.
2) DI line out is a nice-to-have.
3) Phantom powered is a nice-to-have.
4) Effects and guitar models aren't necessary, but I won't kick them off the list if they are included in the right unit.
5) All else being equal, simpler is better.

I've been looking at everything from basic Para DI boxes to the TC BodyRez to digital processors. What are your experiences, and what products would you recommend I look at?

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Depends. My experience: I have a guitar with a K&K mini. I am using an LR Baggs Para DI and it does the job nicely for me. But - I'm small time, just getting into the idea of amplifying, as I foray into playing out at open mics, etc. But to your question, the Baggs does the job nicely for me. I'm sure other more experienced folks will chime in with their experiences. Have fun...
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:14 AM

First thing is first. If you don't like the sound of the piezo pickup, remove it if you can. The undersaddle transducers can be fightenly bad. Replace it with a under saddle transducer like K and K or the cheaper alternative JJB. I have a handmade version called the Dazzo which sounds even more mike like to me than the others. It's $215 though.

Now, if money is an issue and you need to go with what you got, then get a DI with adjustable mids. That way you can solve the Quack issues more accurately. Also decide what features are important. I really like the Para Acoustic DI. I saw a used one on sale somewhere for a $100 a couple of days ago. I really like its EQ section and it runs on phantom power which is cool. If you need a mute switch and a boost button, check out the Baggs Venue, Fishman Platinum Pro, Radial PZ Deluxe. I have either owned them all or tried them out extensively. They will all do the job but they also have some minor differences but in the grand scheme of things are negligible. For a straight UST like yours, I might go with the PZ Deluxe because it has a very warm sound. Hope this helps.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Guest4562

PADI does it all for me in terms of riding herd on tone, feedback, and assorted room influence on my guitar sound. I have two UST guitars and one K&K. They all require different settings and I can dial them in pretty quick. The only other item I put in the chain is a volume pedal which I pretty much use as an on/off switch for plugging in or to kill the guitar during breaks.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM

I just switched from an Ultrasound DI, which was satisfactory, to a Fishman Platinum Pro. It is much better, way more natural sounding. The 3 band EQ, tuner and compression are nice features. I highly recommended the Fishman Platinum Pro. I found one used for $150.
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Cocobologist

PADI is a great option. Works very well.

I have a Play Acoustic on my board that is a DI/Preamp/Effects for guitar (plus vocal pitch correct/harmonizer/effects), and also features the BodyRez feature to minimize/eliminate piezo artifacts. The Play's BodyRez is much more flexible than the standalone pedal, with five different presets and full control over compression/EQ/BodyRez effect.

Just one more option to muddy the waters in your decision process...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-11-2017, 01:32 PM

As someone who feels he can get a perfectly acceptable sound out of a decent piezo pickup (Matrix, Element, etc.), I've found none of the external effects, BodyRez, Boss AD-2, Aura, etc. to add enough value to bother using. I think if you don't like the piezo UST sound it is best to replace it.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonian View Post
I have a guitar with the piezo USTs, and am interested in finding a good external preamp that can do the things we all need when using this type of pickup....I'd like your feedback on experiences with what is available.

1) Paramount is removing the negative qualities of the 'piezo tone' and having it sound more like a guitar.
The biggest reason piezo's sound bad is an impedance mismatch. Piezo output impedance is in the megohm range. Most PA channels are looking for 1 kohm. That's one-thousandth of a megohm. A DI or preamp is needed to match the impedance. IF you are plugging in to a HI Z (high impedance) input on a PA or amp it does the impedance match for you.

UST's are inherently more prone to distortion than piezo transducers you mount under the soundboard (SBT's like K&K or JJB). This is because the downward force of the strings on the saddle keeps the the UST in a constant state of strain, even when you're not playing. You will get better tone with SBT's vs UST's.

Quote:
2) DI line out is a nice-to-have.
I don't understand the question. Every preamp or DI has an output to go somewhere. Are you asking about a second output possibly bypassing the preamp/DI output? Why would that be desired? Or do you mean you want an XLR output?

Quote:
3) Phantom powered is a nice-to-have.
Yes it sure is.

Quote:
4) Effects and guitar models aren't necessary, but I won't kick them off the list if they are included in the right unit.
5) All else being equal, simpler is better.
These two criteria are in direct opposition to each other. I pick simple over features every time. The more you cram in a box the more can go wrong. Looking thru your list, the Redeye covers most bases. Its the best sounding preamp I've used. It has an XLR output and a send/return loop for effects and other boxes. It runs off 48 V phantom power or 9 V battery. It is dead simple.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:51 PM

What amp or PA that you plug into will make a big difference, they have to be of good enough quality that they will be able to achieve the tone that you're after. It would be helpful if you can describe your sound system or the system you plan to plug into.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 02-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
First thing is first. If you don't like the sound of the piezo pickup, remove it if you can. The undersaddle transducers can be fightenly bad. Replace it with a under saddle transducer like K and K or the cheaper alternative JJB.
The K&K and JJB are not under saddle. They are glued/taped to the bottom of the bridge plate. I agree the USTs are bad. Difficult to get a decent sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Sounds like you are looking for a Zom A3.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
The K&K and JJB are not under saddle. They are glued/taped to the bottom of the bridge plate. I agree the USTs are bad. Difficult to get a decent sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Oops. Don't know what came over me. Should of said SBT.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-12-2017, 05:14 AM

Radial got a DI called "PZDI" which is specially designed for acoustic guitar with under saddle pickup. See whether it can help...

Here is the official explanation for the Radial PZDI:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 AM

I also use the Fishman Platinum Pro in my gigs and I love it! Has all the tools I need for live sound and makes my instruments sound great with minimal tweaking---easy plug-n-play. I also found it used on Ebay for $150. But as far as true acoustic sound, you probably won't get it from a UST.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 AM

A big thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. I have a lot to consider! And to clarify, when I said DI line out, yes I meant XLR out.

Keep 'em coming!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification