The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Rubner Tuners install- Before and after.

I've been enjoying my recent $150 pawn shop find, an Yamaha APX5NA, but early on I knew I'd change the tuners and nut. The Lyre style tuners and bow buttons just didn't fit the style of the guitar.

I wanted ebony/black or ivoroid button. This lead me to Gotoh or Schaller and an $80 investment. This was not a big problem but I thought I'd look at some other options. I found Rubner Tuners produced in Germany. They offer a lot of styles, and a nice feature is the bearings that are available on all models. Mine are consistent, smooth, and have no lash as I can tell.

I found these from All Strings Nylon for $55. They have a black plastic button and solid brass plate.

One thing I did while working was to improvise a prop to hold the guitar on the side when needed such as installing the tiny slot head screws for the new tuners. Soap was also used to lubricate the screws before installing.

Here's some links to All Strings Nylon and Rubner. There's also a few models on Amazon.
https://allstringsnylon.com/?gclid=C...xffBoCdizw_wcB
https://www.rubnertuners.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=rubner

Last edited by Turp; 02-09-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:02 AM

NICE...

I need to upgrade the tuners on my Cordoba GK Pro.. I like the Rubner's!!

I'm torn between going with black plates or the antique style

https://allstringsnylon.com/rubner-t...ic-150-300a-co

https://allstringsnylon.com/rubner-t...age-150-430-rh

thoughts?
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Just my thoughts,

Both choices look good for these reasons to me:
1. The black tuners are understated in a way, but the brass and wood are brought out by the contrast. This more contemporary style is very uncommon from my experience. This will sound weird after I used understated, but I find them just as bold too. The darker cocobolo buttons should match well with most guitar woods. I think the black plates would blend well if the guitar's trim.

2. The antique model is a little more mainstream, but the engraving and buttons really set these off. They have a subtle aesthetic that isn't as bold as the black. The main thing, I'd be cautions of is the lighter wood buttons not matching well with the guitar's woods, but they look like they'd compliment the lighter headstock overlay.

Beyond function, personally I like understated styling. Basically blend in until noticed.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:18 AM

Exclamation Sloane tuning pegs for classical guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
I've been enjoying my recent $150 pawn shop find, an Yamaha APX5NA, but early on I knew I'd change the tuners and nut. The Lyre style tuners and bow buttons just didn't fit the style of the guitar.

I wanted ebony/black or ivoroid button. This lead me to Gotoh or Schaller and an $80 investment. This was not a big problem but I thought I'd look at some other options. I found Rubner Tuners produced in Germany. They offer a lot of styles, and a nice feature is the bearings that are available on all models. Mine are consistent, smooth, and have no lash as I can tell.
I found these from All Strings Nylon for $55. They have a black plastic button and solid brass plate.

One thing I did while working was to improvise a prop to hold the guitar on the side when needed such as installing the tiny slot head screws for the new tuners. Soap was also used to lubricate the screws before installing.

Here's some links to All Strings Nylon and Rubner. There's also a few models on Amazon.
https://allstringsnylon.com/?gclid=C...xffBoCdizw_wcB
https://www.rubnertuners.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=rubner
SLOANE TUNING PEGS

I've bought a number of Gotoh premium classical guitar tuning pegs with ebony knobs. I just recently purchased a new Yamaha NCX2000R and one of the first things that I did was order and install new Sloane tuning pegs with ebony knobs. I paid $303.95 delivered as I recall. The Gotoh premiums cost around $97 and in my opinion are of as good a quality as the Sloane tuning pegs. Based on a number of evaluation criteria, these are my findings and opinions. First, the Gotoh tuners are built such that it appears you can replace the ebony knobs should the need arise. The second observation is that the mounting screws on the Sloane pegs are shorter than what I've used on all other tuning pegs I've replaced. The third observation is that the screw heads are straight slot rather than the more engaging phillips or reed and prince screw heads. The Sloane pegs look nice and came in a fancy box but I recommend that if your going to change your tuning pegs don't waste your money on the Sloanes. I've read comparisons between Rubner and Gotoh as I recall so that choice is up to the individual. However, once again, I wouldn't waste the money on the Sloanes. I wrote Sloane about my evaluation and received their response. They do have a lifetime warranty and their explanation for using straight slot screw heads was that, as I understood them, because they thought that the straight slot heads had a better look. As to the length issue, they didn't respond. There is no good reason to make the mounting screws so much shorter than what I consider to be standard. This can be very important if the tuning pegs have been replaced a number of times. One more issue is that the holes don't line up with what I think is the standard spacing and one hole on both sides from the previous mounts is partially exposed. That problem alone might keep you from considering Sloane. I don't recommend Sloane is my current opinion. To pay over $300 for tuning pegs was a waste of money. The Yamaha NCX2000R came with plastic knobs and I wanted something a bit more substantial considering the overall quality of the guitar. I plan to purchase a stick of color matched plastic wood to cover the partially exposed holes. It's a good thing that the holes didn't match up since their screws are short of standard and were installed on fresh wood that hadn't been penetrated.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsume View Post
SLOANE TUNING PEGS

... issue is that the holes don't line up with what I think is the standard spacing and one hole on both sides from the previous mounts is partially exposed. That problem alone might keep you from considering Sloane.

I plan to purchase a stick of color matched plastic wood to cover the partially exposed holes. It's a good thing that the holes didn't match up since their screws are short of standard and were installed on fresh wood that hadn't been penetrated.
Thanks for the review. I looked at Sloane but really didn't see them as a good economical choice on the price point instruments I have.

You mentioned the holes not lining up. I find this common with steel string and the classical tuners I looked at. Even replacement lyre styles had different spacing than my OEM. Like yours the two outer holes were exposed but not centered. I plugged all the holes with mahogany and drilled for the new tuners. Even If the hole had lined up, the Rubner screws are quite smaller.

Last edited by Turp; 02-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical