The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Metronome convert

Five decades ago my first piano teacher tried to get me to count as I played, and use a metronome. I hated it. Never took to counting, let alone using a metronome.

Fast forward thru years from 1965 to 2017, thru 3 piano teachers, a change to guitar in the last 5 years, and 5 guitar teachers! (one former guitar teacher, a friend, says I go thru teachers like kleenex ).

My new teacher really pushes me to use a metronome. Of course, now it is so much easier...an app rather than an apparatus. I am amazed at how the clicks keep me focused and challenged.

Just curious....teachers out there, do you encourage using a metronome? Those of you who had teachers, or even self taught, did metronomes come into play? (pun intended!)

Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 01-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Eric Skye

Nice! All my students use a metronome, and I personally rarely practice with out it. I made a short video about how I use it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOa0vfv5FY Sounds like you found a good teacher. Good luck with your studies.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 PM

Eric enjoyed your vid- wish "Metronome" was in the title instead of Groove, so I can find it again more easily ;-)

I've recently been trying to use a metronome with limited success, but realize I NEED to figure it out and am actually excited about using one even tho its frustrating.

Oh I subscribed

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-03-2017, 04:07 AM

I've played guitar for the best part of 45 years, my timing is atrocious! Learn to play with a metronome, it will improve your playing NO END. Yes, I do possess one, and am only now starting to use it.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
Eric enjoyed your vid- wish "Metronome" was in the title instead of Groove, so I can find it again more easily ;-)

I've recently been trying to use a metronome with limited success, but realize I NEED to figure it out and am actually excited about using one even tho its frustrating.

Oh I subscribed
I create playlists on youtube. Create one called Metronome or something and stick it in there.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 AM

I think a metronome is something that most people know they SHOULD use, but don't. I'm this way as well. I keep thinking "As soon as I get the mechanics of this down, I'll use the metronome..." but I sometimes don't.

I think I'm going to use this thread as a reminder to do so.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:24 AM

I'm a believer. I use one all the time.

In his book, "The Advancing Guitarist" Mick Goodrick recommends using a metronome for non musical tasks. I recall he said have the metronome ticking when sweeping the floor or washing the dishes. He was suggesting embedding a sense of time in all your movements. I did try this for a while and it is a useful if not transformational. And it can be very annoying to those around you.

hunter
Old 01-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Test your timing with this app.
https://www.concerthotels.com/got-rhythm

Metronome mainly for exercises and speed. For most people most timing errors arise from technique issues and from not practices pieces enough to nail them.
Depending on the type of music being played, the use of strict timing can be more mechanical rather than musical. So be careful.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Timely topic.

I had Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I went for the Boss DB-90. This is definitely a metronome like no other because you can independently adjust the volume of the half notes, quarter notes, even triplets. It is amazingly easy to dial in the rhythm that you are looking for. The cost was high ($160) and yet, I am rating this a great purchase.

best,

Rick
Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 AM

80 percent of stats are made up, but I'd say most, if not all, adult students I get who are unhappy with their playing have poor time.

Metronome is one way to practice time, not the only, but a darn good one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Playing for 40+years, only started practicing w/a metronome a lot in the last 6 years. I've certainly played w/other folks (including some drummers!) who should have spent more time w/one. It was exposure to good teachers (recording & touring pros) that got me into the habit.

If you plow through any of the numerous metronome threads on here, you'll find the majority of folks experienced with lots of musical collaboration (teaching, bands, recording, etc) to be strong advocates. OTOH, folks who are self taught and seldom play w/other musicians will often espouse the need for rhythmic 'freedom'.

I have seen a Youtube of Adam Rafferty discouraging metronome use - and that guy can groove! But I think the proof residing in centuries of music education pretty handily refutes his personal opinion, when it comes to most people.

If you train your timing w/a metronome and educate your ear and body to how musical rhythms should sound & feel (by listening to good music), you'll do fine.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 PM

OP here....glad I am not alone. What I have found is that the metronome has me thinking ahead to the next thing I need to play in a song...next chord, fingering change, movement up the neck, etc. That's a good thing! Without the metronome I would just pause. Not Very musical, those pauses, to get ready for what's next. I am sering drastic improvement in just a few days of 'tick-tock'.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Yep. Spent half my practice tonight using a metronome. As previous post suggested, helps in anticipating the next move. Also makes very clear what needs work and what doesn't need as much work.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 PM

Interesting app.
When I play with a metronome I alway get ahead of it.
When I took the test 4 times I was always behind.
When I attempted to speed up I got worse slower score.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Timely topic.
Good one. : )

I'm not a teacher, per se, but do regularly spend time playing (keys and guitar) to a metronome. Don't think I'll ever outgrow the need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write