The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 AM

Default Headphone recommendations

Hi Guys and Gals,

I was wondering if you could steer me in the right direction in deciding on a pair of headphones (This would be for practicing with my PRS SE).

Here is the long and short of it.

I find that most days the only time I have to practice is after the kids have gone to bed and I would like a pair of decent headphones to use. I currently have a Fender Mustang II v2 and I'm also looking into getting a Vox amplug to practice on the go. So, I'm looking for a pair of phones to plug directly into the headphone jack on the Mustang II or the headphone jack of the Vox amplug.

Not sure what I should be looking for, but I do have some features I would like it to have.

1) Over the ear.
2) One wire type (no Y-wires).
3) Removable/replaceable wire (so I can have a long one for the Fender and a short one for the Vox).
4) 3.5mm plug
4) Durable construction (would prefer metal bands over plastic).
5) $100 or under.

Now, I've been looking at the AKG k240 / AKG K 240 MKII headphones and they look like they would fit the bill. But, these are semi-open cans and I was wondering if closed cans would be better for my application?

Thoughts, suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
John

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 12-28-2016, 08:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Get the AKGs. Their response has fewer spikes than many others so they don't fatigue your ears and their mechanical design generates very little fatigue as well. The bleed is minuscule.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info Bob.

I went ahead and ordered up the AKG-240 MkII. I went with the with the Mark II variant because of the extras that it came with (two cables, extra ear pads). Pretty much all of the reviews were positive on these. I also see that you can pretty much buy any replacement part for these... good to have that option if I ever should break something.

Found them for a real low price for a new set.. hope the seller comes through.

Quintilian
Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yep. Somehow headphone maintenance has fallen to me at our studio facility. We've got several different types of headphones in various studios including AKG K240s from every era from 1980 to current. I routinely replace the ear pads and foam inserts, typically the only parts that need to be replaced on the AKGs. The biggest reason is that they get mucked up with too much makeup from female clients to be cleaned off but after fifteen to twenty years or so they do begin to wear.

Bob

Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Has AKG fixed the elastic cord suspension failures? I have owned three different AKG headphones (K240, K340, K401) and all have failed over time.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I have no idea. Our pair from 1980 hasn't lost a cord. My personal set from 1986 hasn't had a cord fail. Is it the new replaceable design that is failing? Our five year old pair hasn't failed either.

Bob

Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 AM

Hey Bob,

Just wanted to let you know that the AKG 240 MKII came in. I tried them out plugged into my Mustang amp and all I can say is... WOW. Very nice sounding phones. Thank you for the recommendation. I am extremely happy with the way they sound and the guitar/amp sounds awesome through them. The best word I can use to describe them is "balanced", everything comes through very nicely without any part of the sound spectrum overpowering another. Also, they are EXTREMELY comfortable.. didn't even feel like I was wearing anything on my head. Very, very happy man.

I can't believe I got these for $65 shipped, brand new in a sealed box. Great price and the seller came through with fast shipping. Too bad he sold out, because I would have linked to it.. but wanted to make sure I got mine first

Here was the listing I bought it from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K240-MKI...EAAOSwnHZYUcWr

A couple of pictures, because it is the internet after all.

Quintilian

Last edited by Wasper; 12-31-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Great!!!

From a guy who quickly gets uncomfortable wearing headphones (me), these are the most comfortable both acoustically and physically of all I've worked with.

Bob

Old 12-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Deleted post.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:50 AM

Hi there! Recently my headphone wire got broken so my friend recommended me to try some wireless headphones, which are over the ear headphones and having bluetooth connectivity. He suggested me some website but I wanted to buy such affordable noise isolating headphones of affordable range and comfortable for fitting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars