The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
SM, I understand that you are using the PA with multiple mics for your club members. You might consider the Carvin S600 with 6 channels or the Schertler with 6 channels. Otherwise, you need a sub mixer for the SA220. The L1 compact with T1 mixer is excellent, but expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
The reviews from Carvin Stagemate users is very good. I have considered one myself. Carvin also lists them new on E-bay at a discount. Since they have to pay 10% to Ebay you should be able to negotiate a 10% (or more) discount from Carvin directly.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I just made a list of gear I should sell, as I likely will not find another rock band. I hang on to my bass rig, even though my Carvin AG 300 will cover anthing I'm likely ever to do.

I'm kind of attached to my Gallien Kruger RB 700 bass amp and Eden cab.

The upside is that lightweight good sounding gear is plentiful these days.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-07-2016, 01:02 PM

Wow; this doesn't really sound like you.

I'd have a few blood tests if I were you. I'd hate to think you're changing your whole lifestyle over a few missing vitamins or some curable low-grade but persistent ailment. Besides, I'm looking forward to playing with you if I ever get over there again.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
SM, I understand that you are using the PA with multiple mics for your club members. You might consider the Carvin S600 with 6 channels or the Schertler with 6 channels. Otherwise, you need a sub mixer for the SA220. The L1 compact with T1 mixer is excellent, but expensive.

Hi, for my club, I use only one large condenser mic on a non-boom stand.
No plugging in - sitting or standing.

My old Rode NT-1 seems to pick up everything for about four feet around.

I plug the mic into a Citronic 4 channel mixer, then the mixer into two house Mackie speaker enclosures.

That's all Ok for as long as we are at that venue.

I only have the one trio at present - b/g band gone for about a year now, and the other one seems to have gone into hibernation as it does from time to time.

With a full trio, I have, in the past, used the Rode for vocals, an SM58 for the bass payers vocals, and two SC1000 small condenser mics for my guitars, and for dobro/mando.

Double bass has gone into my Peavey kit but more likely he'll use a small backline bass amp.

For future occasional gigs I'm thinking of a Fishman SA220 or, possibly the more expensive Bose system L1 system.

There are other things - HK Maui etc., but they don't appeal.

For me weight and size is a BIG factor, plus, of course sound quality.

So, whaddya fink ? Bose or Fishface ?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, for my club, I use only one large condenser mic on a non-boom stand.
No plugging in - sitting or standing.

My old Rode NT-1 seems to pick up everything for about four feet around.

I plug the mic into a Citronic 4 channel mixer, then the mixer into two house Mackie speaker enclosures.

That's all Ok for as long as we are at that venue.

I only have the one trio at present - b/g band gone for about a year now, and the other one seems to have gone into hibernation as it does from time to time.

With a full trio, I have, in the past, used the Rode for vocals, an SM58 for the bass payers vocals, and two SC1000 small condenser mics for my guitars, and for dobro/mando.

Double bass has gone into my Peavey kit but more likely he'll use a small backline bass amp.

For future occasional gigs I'm thinking of a Fishman SA220 or, possibly the more expensive Bose system L1 system.

There are other things - HK Maui etc., but they don't appeal.

For me weight and size is a BIG factor, plus, of course sound quality.

So, whaddya fink ? Bose or Fishface ?
I'd say either depending on what you can swindle in terms of price. Both will work well with a small mixer. The powered speaker option is good too, but less convenient. I'm very happy with the Line 6 product. Easiest to transport remains the SA220. It should fit nicely in your new CRV. ;-)

Old 03-07-2016, 05:30 PM

I'm also in my 60's and have been playing guitar since I was 10. I have made my living playing on the road for a few years and will play as long as I can. What I am seeing is that in general, the night life music scene is drying up. The cops have destroyed the nights out. I had a really good three piece R&B band that started about 11 years ago and we played all over. This is what I really enjoyed. Today almost 90 percent of those clubs are either closed or quit having bands. I recently lost the last place that my duo played at. I'm down to a single now and play about twice a month. What's happening is that people who are what I call "campfire" players are being hired. People who don't have much talent but will play for half of what I charge.
In other words I'm watching my little world shrink. All things must pass.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
The cops have destroyed the nights out.
Welcome to the group. I got most of what you posted except for the above. How exactly have the cops destroyed night entertainment?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Cool

I live in a small town. The police park across the street from the bar and bust people when they leave. (I retired in a small tourist town) In the off season they have to justify their existence. If you're on the street after 9pm, you're a target.
Don't get me wrong, I have a tremendous respect for our police.
We have no public transportation. People can't have a good time here and expect not to go to jail. (They have to be transported 50 miles away to the jail).
Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 PM

BTW I use a Bose L1 model 2 with the B2 instead of my band pa with monitors.
The sound is great. Usually with my Martin JC40 and Godin Multiac. Sometimes my Rainsong SG Shorty with a Fishman Acoustic Aura pedal and a Boss looper.
The Bose is very easy to carry.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I live in a small town. The police park across the street from the bar and bust people when they leave. (I retired in a small tourist town) In the off season they have to justify their existence. If you're on the street after 9pm, you're a target.
We have no public transportation. People can't have a good time here and expect not to go to jail. (They have to be transported 50 miles away to the jail).
I assume you're hinting that they bust drunk drivers. Weird but I think that's FANTASTIC!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 PM

I'm 66. Diagnosed with stage 4B cancer and given 4 to 8 years to live 7 years ago.

I sold most of my stuff. Most of my guitars, amps, tools...figured I wouldn't be needing them soon. Even sold my business.

Well it was touch and go. Almost died twice. Cancer came and went. Then came back again. But it's been gone several years now. It'll come back again someday.

Last year I asked my oncologist how long I had and he said "4 to 8 years". Same thing he said 7 years ago.

So I started getting my gear back together again.

Sold some stuff and bought a bunch of new stuff. A TC Ditto looper, a couple of Korg SDD3000 delays, a PRS Custom 22 guitar and then traded my old Strat for a second PRS Custom 22.

And last month I was asked to join a band I'd been sitting in with. Now I'm gigging every weekend and have a nice little income to supplement my SS.

Funny how that happens when you decide to get busy living and quit waiting to die.

I'm not the man I used to be but people still like my guitar playing.

You just never know what the Universe has in store for you.

So don't give up. You are loved and cared for by the power that holds the atoms of your body together and the stars in the sky.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 03-07-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I'm 66. Diagnosed with stage 4B cancer and given 4 to 8 years to live 7 years ago.

So don't give up. You are loved and cared for by the power that holds the atoms of your body together and the stars in the sky.

That was possibly the most beautiful punch in the gut I've read on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Monte Rio?

"Hold On"
by Tom Waits

They hung a sign up in our town
"if you live it up, you won't
live it down"
So, she left Monte Rio, son
Just like a bullet leaves a gun ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post

I sold most of my stuff. Most of my guitars, amps, tools...figured I wouldn't be needing them soon. Even sold my business.

Well it was touch and go. Almost died twice. Cancer came and went. Then came back again. But it's been gone several years now. It'll come back again someday.

Last year I asked my oncologist how long I had and he said "4 to 8 years". Same thing he said 7 years ago.

So I started getting my gear back together again.

Sold some stuff and bought a bunch of new stuff. A TC Ditto looper, a couple of Korg SDD3000 delays, a PRS Custom 22 guitar and then traded my old Strat for a second PRS Custom 22.

And last month I was asked to join a band I'd been sitting in with. Now I'm gigging every weekend and have a nice little income to supplement my SS.

Funny how that happens when you decide to get busy living and quit waiting to die.

I'm not the man I used to be but people still like my guitar playing.

You just never know what the Universe has in store for you.

This is inspiring. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Andy,

Maybe it's time to get another "Guy Clark" cover project going. That was a fun time. I'm still in touch with some of the folks.

Best wishes. As to the PA, all I can say is I certainly understand that, though the sound is good, that old school PA equipment weighs a ton. Get you some of the newer, lighter equipment. And keep playing, it helps with the arthritis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification