The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Guest 33123

Bare fingers all the way. I have pretty good callouses on my picking fingers.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM

I'm primarily a pianist, so no long fingernails. So, for as long as I've played I've just used my bare fingers. Somehow, the side of my thumb has enough callous built up to offer the same sound as a pick when I strum, as well.

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi, Chad. I almost always play with bare fingers, but occasionally I'll pick up a flatpick or a thumbpick. If I performed publicly, I'd probably use a pick more often.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM

Well, here's where I'm different. I practice drills with a metronome and a pick. This is how I warm up EVERY DAY. Then I ditch both and play naked.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 AM

Have a look at Jeff Beck sometime
Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 AM

When I decided to pursue a long held goal of learning fingerstyle, I tried out several brands of thumbpicks, several of which I modified. I decided I dig in too much with a thumbpick and the sound is unbalanced to the trebles played with bare fingers with a hint of nail. I grew my thumbnail out a little and ditched the thumbpicks. few months of dedicated practice was all it took to get a consistently loud enough balanced tone throughout a song and now when I use a flatpick it just feels like too basic of a style.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 PM

I've always played with barre fingers for fingerstyle. Although Chet Atkins is a huge influence in my playing, for me, I never got used to the feel of wearing thumb-picks, it always felt ackward. Just playing with the flesh feels more natural to me.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 PM

it's more comfortable for me to use my bare fingers in playing fingerstyle.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 PM

I've always strummed using just the side of my bare thumb so now as I embark on the journey to learn acoustic blues in the style of Rev. Gary Davis, it just seems natural to me that I continue to use just my bare fingers. I just love the responsiveness and the intimacy I experience with the guitar when there's nothing between me and the strings. I've often toyed with picks/thumb and finger picks but almost immediately toss them aside and continue to play "naked".
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 PM

I'm on bare fingers backed up by my nails, which are not very long. I can't be bothered with the maintenance of keeping my fingernails in good shape. I've tried using a thumb pick because I like the sound and volume it produces, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I even shaved one down a bit, but I still struggle with it. I still try it every now and then, and I make progress, but I prefer the feel of the strings when I am playing, and to be honest, I like the sound too.

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM

I started with flesh on a nylon string guitar, thinking I was going to play classical, and then flamenco. I did that for a year, then decided I wanted to sing... another year playing and singing rock/country with flesh & nylon... then started plying with other people and wanted more volume, so started with a flatpick and got a steel string. I have had the steel string for a year now (3 years into playing) and play both types of guitar with either flesh or a flatpick pretty comfortably. Amazing what daily practice will accomplish.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Bare fingers with callouses; I use a bare thumb and thumb pick depending on the song. I also use a flat pick and hybrid pick.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write