The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Saddle and shim material

Uninformed question - can certain saddle and/or shim material can make a guitar sound darker or more comperssed"? Brighter?

I switched a plastic saddle to Tusq on my Yamaha and while the sustain is much improved, the sound is noticably brighter. The guitar has sitka top and sycamore lammie b/s.

I shimmed a bone nut on a Blueridge BG60 spruce top/lammie b/s with a strip of credit card and, voila, it seemed to give me a darker tone.

www.soundcloud.com/johnhicks
www.americansongspace.com/johnhicks

Grazin' in the herd: Gibson J45, Martin SWOMGT, Fender Lite Ash Tele, Gretsch 5120
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Different materials can absolutely change the tone of your guitar. Now by how much depends on the material and your ears. I typically think of it as how well the material can transmit energy into the top: more dense = brighter; less dense = muddier, darker. This is not a perfect analogy but generally works.

I prefer bone saddles for their good energy transference. If you're trying to cheaply experiment with tone, try different bridge pin materials: brass, plastic, bone, wood all create different tonal qualities.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair