The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Default M1 install issues

So I got a used M1 passive on ebay to put into my Seagull Anniversary. Perfect condition, it works fine. While doing the install it became clear that "popping the pickup in and out" to share it between guitars was totally unrealistic. i needed to remove all the strings and open the clamps to their widest to get it in. Then I drilled my 1/2" hole for the endpin jack. I used a simple pilot hole and spade bit. Worked fine, looked good. Went to put the jack in, and had to enlist my wife's much smaller hand/arm. Then I discovered the end block was thicker then the threads allowed for on the jack. I can get the retaining nut on (just barely though) but not the part that becomes the strap button! AAARG!

Does Baggs, or anyone else, make a prewired endpin jack with about 3/8" more thread on the barrel?

Matt

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Maybe you could counter sink the inside of the block? I know there's a tool they use when they install them to taper the hole (can't think of the name of it) but itslike a drill bit you turn by hand. Good luck!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Did you try unwinding the barrel itself from the threads? When I bought mine I thought it came at maximum length and could only be adjusted shorter but that wasn't the case.

Does the passive not have a 1/8" plug-in at the pickup? I have the active version. You can buy an extra jack (about $20) for another guitar and just trade out the pickup itself between two guitars. There's no way I'd take the jack in and out too. But yes you do usually have to take the strings off.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitom View Post
Did you try unwinding the barrel itself from the threads? When I bought mine I thought it came at maximum length and could only be adjusted shorter but that wasn't the case.
Ditto ... and it took me longer to figure out than I'd care to admit

andrew
-- Schroedinger's wife
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
Ditto ... and it took me longer to figure out than I'd care to admit

andrew
Same here my friend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair