The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -12- View Post
Olson SJ = bad strummer, and not even close to Hoffman's 12. As for the Olson SJ body, I tend to agree with UMGF folks:

"don't do well with a flatpick"
" great build quality--extremely nice wood work. it wasn't super loud and didn't resonate as much as say one of the authentic D-18's"

"I played one a few years ago. I thought my OM-18V blew it away in every category, which is the closest thing I have in size to compare it to. The sound to me was more of a "Taylor" sound than anything else -- bright; lots of midrange and treble. The workmanship was great, but really not any better than most of the high end Martin and Collings guitars."

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...on.html?page=1

Yes close the thread, that's the only Christian thing to do.
I was waiting for religion to peek its ugly head into this debate. Anyways, I now know you really have no clue what you are talking about since you're now ranting on about how Jim Olson SJ's cannot hold up to a D-18 Authentic. Dude... seriously? You're now stretching all reasonable and rational boundaries of this argument. You're actually comparing an instrument designed primarily for fingerstyle guitar to an instrument designed primarily for flatpicking? That comparison is like apples and frozen fish sticks. People buy Olsons because they are NOT a D-18 Authentic-type of instrument... just like people buy dreads that do not want a small intimate fingerstyle guitar. I think Jim, and anyone that owns an Olson, would actually take your post as a compliment.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Anyone--ANYONE--who has laid hands on and played an Olson simply would not make -12-'s comments, period. It would be unthinkable.

Olson guitars are as close to perfection in beauty, build, playability and especially the incredible sound, as you will find on earth. No recording does justice to holding one and playing it yourself.

Jim found the right formula years ago and even by the early 90's, had already built up his stock of the choicest tone woods--enough that he calculated it would be sufficient to last his entire career. It's one of the reasons for the consistency of his guitars and why they are always so highly esteemed and prized.

The comment that he pumps out a guitar in 5 days displays an utter lack of knowledge of the actual length of time it takes to build an Olson from start to finish or the process involved. After reading that comment alone, I realized there was no further credibility in anything else coming from the same source. Unbelievable.

Time to move on to other threads now.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
...That comparison is like apples and frozen fish sticks...
Love the comparison picture!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 11-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkiye View Post
Anyone--ANYONE--who has laid hands on and played an Olson simply would not make -12-'s comments, period. It would be unthinkable.
This is simply your opinion.

Quote:
Olson guitars are as close to perfection in beauty, build, playability and especially the incredible sound, as you will find on earth. No recording does justice to holding one and playing it yourself.

This is simply your opinion.

Quote:
Jim found the right formula years ago and even by the early 90's, had already built up his stock of the choicest tone woods--enough that he calculated it would be sufficient to last his entire career. It's one of the reasons for the consistency of his guitars and why they are always so highly esteemed and prized.

More opinion.

Most builders I know have a large stockpile of "the choicest tone woods" to select for their builds. Some of them build guitars that I much prefer to Jim's work.

...and a poor guitar can easily be made from the best woods.

Quote:
The comment that he pumps out a guitar in 5 days displays an utter lack of knowledge of the actual length of time it takes to build an Olson from start to finish or the process involved. After reading that comment alone, I realized there was no further credibility in anything else coming from the same source. Unbelievable.

Actually, this is once again only your opinion.

Quote:
Time to move on to other threads now.
Sure, why not.

P.S. My opinion may differ from yours on some of the above points. Jim is indeed a talented and humble man, however. Not everyone is in love with the guitars he builds, and for a variety of reasons.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Larry. but thats just my opinion

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have a great respect for Jim Olson and his guitars. He has been a roll model for me in this trade and in some ways I have patterned my guitars after his, not copped.
Who really cares if he has decided to stop making 12 string guitars for what ever reason. If I had that many orders flying at me at his age, I could also be picky about what I make as well. Life is short, Live a little and don't be stressed out is sometimes hard to do. He has taken a step in a direction that is good for him, "not to build 12 string guitars".

I do have a question for those who have played his 12 string guitars, since the scale length is around 25.4 are they tuned down or to pitch?
The same goes for Taylor 12 string guitars that are 25.5 in scale are they tuned to pitch or down?

Many years ago I had a name brand that had to be tuned down with a kapo on the first fret. Just wondering since we are talking about it and the change of tone is needed.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM

[quote=Larry Pattis;2415114]This is simply your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkiye

Actually, this is once again only your opinion.
---------------------
Really? Having been given a detailed tour of his original shop and again another tour at his new facility that he built outside of the city, having had the entire building process explained to me by Jim personally, having had an Olson built for me, etc., I think I may have some reasonable insight on this matter beyond opinion. But that's just my opinion. You're the expert.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Humanist

Quote:
---------------------
Really? Having been given a detailed tour of his original shop and again another tour at his new facility that he built outside of the city, having had the entire building process explained to me by Jim personally, having had an Olson built for me, etc., I think I may have some reasonable insight on this matter beyond opinion. But that's just my opinion. You're the expert.
Sorry for not being clear with my intent in the one area you took exception to.

Actually, I was referring to your complete dismissal of any further information from this source, based on what you perceived to be mis-information.

He may in fact be credible in other areas, so completely dismissing him may not be in your best interest.

You can in fact dismiss any of his other opinions/information as not being valid, but that would simply be your opinion.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Guitar a week

I would say the guy who made the guitar in 5 days comment is about right,seems like Olson builds in batches of around 25 twice a year.
However i doubt that it would be easy to build just one guitar in a week,but i bet its possible
Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I agree with Larry. but thats just my opinion
So do I, so that makes us both right!

CPAbolting's extraordinary collection of guitars attests to his love of Jim Olson's work, and why not? If it makes you happy then go for it. I have played guitars by Jim that have been wonderful and would have easily been my first choice for certain contexts. For my own touch however (and this is utterly subjective) Ervin Somogyi's work, (and indeed that of other builders from the Somogyi "school" eg Kostal, Matsuda, Beauregard etc) suits ME better. It just does.

There is no best guitar.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
So do I, so that makes us both right!

CPAbolting's extraordinary collection of guitars attests to his love of Jim Olson's work, and why not? If it makes you happy then go for it. I have played guitars by Jim that have been wonderful and would have easily been my first choice for certain contexts. For my own touch however (and this is utterly subjective) Ervin Somogyi's work, (and indeed that of other builders from the Somogyi "school" eg Kostal, Matsuda, Beauregard etc) suits ME better. It just does.

There is no best guitar.
I could not agree with you more... there is NO best guitar, no best builder and no best shape. Some people are into one builder, one (or two) sizes and simply different wood combinations. Others are into one wood combination for all guitars regardless of the shape/size and they have guitars from multiple builders. And others yet are into different woods, in different shapes / sizes from many different builders. I fit into the later, but that does not necessarily make that the right choice for everyone.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm surprised at how much bashing is happening in this thread. It's perfectly fine not to like someones work or they way they choose to make there products, but what ever happened to "they're just not for me, glad you like them" type of response. I understand about opinions, but to blatantly bash someone is just rude.

Personally, I love Jim's work and there are others that I don't and visa versa. Good thing the world didn't turn out like Henry Ford's suggestion "you can have it in any color you want, as long as it's black."
Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 PM

-12-, while you are entitled to your opinions, evidently those lining up to order an Olson guitar disagree with you rather strongly. If you don't like Olson guitars, that's fine. Don't buy one. There happens to be a number of guitar builders whose instruments I don't buy, but I don't waste a lot of time and energy trying to convince those who absolutely love them that they shouldn't. People who love the sound, feel, look and value of Olsons are just as entitled to spend their money as they see fit as you and I are.

That's not opinion, that's fact.

Personally, I think Jim Olson's guitars speak for themselves quite sufficiently. Those that are eagerly scooping up every one he can build seem to agree, and it is the buyer's opinion that carries the most weight.

My Dad never liked BMW or Mercedes automobiles, but somehow they managed to scrape by without his support. He didn't campaign against them much, though...

cotten
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Buy what you like - play what you buy

Tp

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 11-23-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: too many wasted words.....
Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM

This thread reminds me of the Sony or Nintendo fanboys bashing each other's systems while defending their own to the bitter end. Yawn.

I love Olson guitars. I also love VWs. I just purchased a 1977 VW Westfalia bus to tour in. Is it the best vehicle ever? Ugh, no...you should see me trying to deal with not having power steering. It is hilarious.

I expect to be able to pick up my new Olson any day now. I will never say that my guitar is the best guitar ever. How could I make such a comment? I won't say Jim's guitars are the best ever. There are many builders' guitars that I haven't had the pleasure to play.

I also never want to make someone feel bad because they don't have a $xxxxx guitar. There are people playing $500 Yamahas that put me to shame. I have a student who just bought a new Epiphone acoustic. He was raving about it to me--happy as a clam. I think that is cool.

I know that I love his guitars, but will leave it at that. I also know that Jim is a great guy and a great craftsman. I don't need to defend my purchase to anyone but my wife and God...both of whom I think are okay with it. I know my wife is for sure.

I only have opinions, but I try to keep them to myself mostly (and fail often).

I'll post pics as soon as possible. I could be having a very fun Thanksgiving. I'm just waiting on the Anthem pickup.

Last edited by Earthworm; 11-23-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: improper use of a semicolon, changed to a dash for emphasis
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop