The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording Newbie Here

I am really happy to see this section on the AGF. I started recording about a year ago out of necessity for sending weekly assignments in to Berklee School of Music, but am now just getting into it for enjoyment. I started out using Audacity freeware, but purchased a Mac Mini about 3 months ago for Garage Band. Many of my colleagues at Berklee attest to Garage Band as the most Dummy-proof way to record (which really appeals to my skill set). I have used the M-Audio Ultra USB interface, the Blue Snowball USB mic, and a Bose T1 Tonematch as my guitar to computer interfaces.

I have had numerous issues with M-Audio interface, primarily with a lack of input gain, and most recently, incessant popping noises on my recordings. So I now use the Bose, and a recently purchased Neumann TLM 102 mic (purchased last weekend). My latest setup has provided drastically improved recordings, compared to initial M-Audio/Audacity recordings.

Just wanted to share my experiences. Looking forward to participating in this forum!

Mike
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new gear and glad to hear it is working out well for you.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM

does the m-audio have phantom power? and there's no rule that states you can't use a better mic pre in any event. popping can be caused by numerous things. and was the gain up on your interface, as well as in the software?

i tried garage band on a friend's mac once, and i wasn't impressed. it's very low level as far as features. i use a pc and reaper (i have cubase sx3 too, but just use reaper now). reaper is the best value in daw software, bar freaking none.

good luck.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

DMoss

The M-Audio does have phantom power. I am not technically proficient enough to say with conviction what caused the popping sounds, but when I replaced the M-Audio interface with the Bose T1, the popping disappeared. Same settings on Audacity.

San Luis Rick - I listened to some of your tunes and you are masterful. Thanks for the warm wishes and keep up the great work!

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber