The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Default Hybrid model for second album?

Buzzard Whiskey’s first EP was huge for me. We loved the experience of a real studio. And now, performing those tunes feels like visiting with old friends. More than that, having a CD has helped open venues that might not have taken a second look.

Now we’ve begun performing my new set of 9 songs and I really think that we can make them into a fun full album, but I’d wanted to do it cheaper and I’d also wanted to have a higher degree of control. Our previous budget had really meant that mixing was VERY straightforward and I couldn't really modify much.

To that end I’d begun recording and mixing at home, but now I’m having second thoughts. The place is too small and too limited. The recording part just isn’t fun.

Instead I’ve begun to think about a hybrid model. What if we spent about three days in the studio just recording and then had them turn over the “stems” for us to do the mixing?

We get the experience and camaraderie of a pro studio for the part that’s not fun to do at home. Then we’d have all the time in the world to mix it. And the cost would be less than $2000!

I could even carefully record my guitar parts in my home studio, and we could use that as a starting point in the “real” studio. I’ve proven to myself that I can create a professional product as far as that goes. This allows me to set the tempo and stage for each song, to really get every nuance as right as I can, and to sing with the gals without having to play as well.

Anyway, just some ideas. Feel free to comment.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like a good plan. And if you're using a studio with a very good room, your mix will be that much better because the tracks will that much better.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD