The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Not the only way, of course not (when I played in pit bands I read a score) The best? Absolutely!

Ego? Never thought of it that way but I am proud of the ability I've acquired over the years. You want to call it ego, go ahead.
Please don't take such offense A-Mac. I am only referring to those who post insisting it is the ONLY way and make negative comments about learning via other means. I have never seen such a post from you, so your response surprises me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyronva View Post
It's "My Baby" by The Pretenders. I have found tabs and chords, but it just doesn't sound completely correct; I think the fact that I'm trying to just get one guitar out of the two isn't helping. Ultimate Guitar actually has something that seems partially correct to me. In addition, in watching live performances it's not consistent with the tabs (with the understanding that this is not a lock by any means - there's more than one way to the Piggly Wiggly as they say). I am also assuming a standard tune for the live performance, which isn't a guarantee either -

Thanks -

B

That one will be impossible to nail exactly right. You'll have to settle for something that's in the ballpark, sounds good and captures the essence of the song.

Here's how I would handle it:

INTRO

Code:
    1     &     2     &     3     &     4     &           1     &     2     &     3     &     4     &   

e|--0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----0--------|--0-----------0-----------0-----0-----0-----0--------|
B|--0-----------0-----------0-----------10----10-------|--0-----------0-----------0-----10----10----10-------|
G|--9-----------8--h--9-----9-----------9-----9--------|--9-----------8--h--9-----9-----9-----9-----9--------|
D|--9-----------9-----------9-----------9-----9--------|--9-----------9-----------9-----9-----9-----9--------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|

1     &     2     &     3     &     4     &           1     &     2     &     3     &     4     &   

e|--0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----0--------|--0-----------0-----------0-----0-----0-----0--------|
B|--0-----------0-----------0-----------10----10-------|--0-----------0-----------0-----10----10----10-------|
G|--9-----------8--h--9-----9-----------9-----9--------|--9-----------8--h--9-----9-----9-----9-----9--------|
D|--9-----------9-----------9-----------9-----9--------|--9-----------9-----------9-----9-----9-----9--------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|

B|--0-----------0-----------0-----------10----10-------|--0-----------0-----------0-----9-----9-----9--------|

e|--0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----0--------|--------0-----0-----------0-----------0-----0--------|
B|--4-----------4--h--5-----5-----------5-----4--------|--------4-----4--h--5-----5-----------5-----5--------|
G|--4-----------4-----------4-----------4-----4--------|--------4-----4-----------4-----------4-----4--------|
D|--4-----------4-----------4-----------4-----4--------|--------4-----4-----------4-----------4-----4--------|

e|--0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----0--------|--------0-----0-----------0-----0-----0-----0--------|
B|--0-----------0--h--2-----2-----------2-----0--------|--------0-----0--h--2-----2-----2-----2-----2--------|
G|--2-----------2-----------2-----------2-----2--------|--------2-----2-----------2-----2-----2-----2--------|
D|--2-----------2-----------2-----------2-----2--------|--------2-----2-----------2-----2-----2-----2--------|

e|--0--------------------------------------------------|
B|--0--------------------------------------------------|
G|--2--------------------------------------------------|
D|--2--------------------------------------------------|
A|--0--------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|

VERSE RHYTHM

Code:

e|-----------------------------------------------------|--0-----------0-----0-----------0-----0-----0--------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------|--0-----------0-----0-----------0-----0-----0--------|
G|--------------1-----1-----------------1-----1--------|--1--h--2-----2-----2-----------2-----2-----2--------|
D|--------------2-----2-----------------2-----2--------|--2-----------2-----2-----------2-----2-----2--------|
A|--2-----2-----------------2-----2--------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|
E|--0-----0-----------------0-----0--------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|

Don't worry about playing it exact. Just hold your E chord with the left hand and keep the right hand moving in a steady down-up and emphasize the chugga-chugga rhythm. Use your pinky to hammer the 2nd fret on the G string.

For the A and G chords in the verse use:

Code:
e|--0--------------0-----------------------------------|
B|--5--------------3-----------------------------------|
G|--6--------------4-----------------------------------|
D|--7--------------5-----------------------------------|
A|--0--------------0-----------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|

For the B A and G chords in the CHORUS use:

Code:
e|--0--------------0--------------0--------------------|
B|--0--------------0--------------0--------------------|
G|--8--------------6--------------4--------------------|
D|--9--------------7--------------5--------------------|
A|--9--------------7--------------5--------------------|
E|--7--------------5--------------3--------------------|

There's a breakdown later in the song that goes back and forth between G and F. Just use barre chords for those.

I'd skip the little piano solo section and jump right back into the chorus then use the intro as an outro to wind up the song.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 03-04-2017, 12:50 PM

A-Mac:

Listen pal, you got that right on both counts. Often I will go online to take a shortcut to the answer by looking at videos and it will take 2 or 3 to get to something accurate. Sometimes I can tell within 20 seconds that it's wrong; and there have been a few cases where I never found anything accurate and had to do it the hard way and get it right (I think). That being said, some guys in the videos are really good at it. And good point on the capo, that's also always a possibility.

Side note: I will sometimes (where applicable learn a song via finger picking as well as picking. I feel as though it's an exercise that just makes me a little sharper.

Another side note: Even when I get things strictly by ear I can find out later that I was not using the most efficient flow and so I have to scratch a piece of what I taught myself and learn it in a better manner.

Thanks all -

B
Old 03-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
That one will be impossible to nail exactly right. You'll have to settle for something that's in the ballpark, sounds good and captures the essence of the song.

Here's how I would handle it:

(snipped)

I'd skip the little piano solo section and jump right back into the chorus then use the intro as an outro to wind up the song.
Hey, thanks a lot, I will get right on this. And FWIW, quick glance makes it look similar to what I've seen live (higher on the fretboard), as opposed to what I saw on Ultimate Guitar.

Much obliged -

B
Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyronva View Post
Hey, thanks a lot, I will get right on this. And FWIW, quick glance makes it look similar to what I've seen live (higher on the fretboard), as opposed to what I saw on Ultimate Guitar.

Much obliged -

B

You're welcome. I hope you can make something out of that.

I checked out a live vid of the song as well. You've got Chrissie doing a part down low and the other guitar player doing a part up high as well as keyboards going on. It doesn't sound exactly like the record either.

You never know what they did in the studio. To me it sounds like there's a 12 string mixed in with the other parts at least.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write