The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Kind of going through the same thing as well. Difference being I have been playing bass for almost 30 years so I have a bit of an advantage. I started with the major scale pattern that I learned on bass and expanded it to 2 octaves. The B string was my sticking point but it seems I am getting a handle on it. What I've been discovering is that there are multiple ways to play the major scale. I have been working on the 3 note per string technique as well. Then including hand shifts up the string before moving across the strings. Point to all of this is that there are a ton of ways to do it. Pick one, get a good handle on it. Expand it to 2 octaves across the strings and up the strings. Pick another pattern and repeat the process. Then, start to intermingle patterns within a given scale. Pretty soon you will be all over the fretboard.
2016 Guild D-1212
Musicman StingRay 5
Ampeg Baby Bass
Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Fretboard Logic is really good, though maybe not the best for novice as while it's sufficiently detailed, it doesn't break everything down step by step like some other methods. Going slow and reading and re-reading everything (not just the boxes) helps, DVD may help too.

I'm thinking about my next step of dedicated practice and likely going back to Fretboard logic rather than focusing on certain techniques or musical style.

There's lots of different approaches, even within general CAGED approach. Justinguitar if I recall and others emphasize really learning scale in one position/box (I.e., not just memorizing what notes to play but getting a good feel for what patterns work) before moving to next box. Others of course don't use CAGED at all.

Others emphasize learning pentatonic(s) first before major scales. This is good if you want to solo/jam over chords (especially most rock music) as quickly as possible as there are few if any 'bad' notes. Minor pentatonic scale may be best for blues rock.

But if you want to incorporate specific melodies, certain notes often won't be in a pentatonic scale so starting with major may be better as major scale includes two more notes compared to major pentatonic scale.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Both really, but I find box patterns (CAGED) more useful, generally.

3 on a string is great for getting up into higher positions quickly, though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 AM

I like both back and forth across the strings and up and down the strings. Self impose limitations to break habits and build skills:

Limit yourself to one string, two strings etc.

Limit yourself to certain frets

Limit yourself to one finger

etc.

These things keep it interesting and build other skills that can come in handy. And remember, for all standard Ionian (major) scales and the associated modes, you have two half steps and everything else is a whole step. Learn where the half steps are.

hunter

Last edited by zhunter; 02-16-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Both really, but I find box patterns (CAGED) more useful, generally.

3 on a string is great for getting up into higher positions quickly, though.

I've been reading online about CAGED patterns and I get how it relates to chords. Do you then find the root note of each pattern and play a major scale from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Memorizing a bunch of scale patterns? Are you playing lead guitar, flatpicking, playing fingerstyle, playing jazz? Are you developing your ear for your ear to find intervals on the fly, scale name undetermined? Are you developing your ear for a better sense of style and musicality? Where does it fit in for what you actually play or actually want to play?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Back in the 60s before tab etc. I learned the minor penatonic scale by ear in my own pattern. It took me years to learn that the same pattern works for the major pentatonic scale only played in a different place. Both played off the key note. I think the trick of learning some different scales is how to phrase a lead line so that it makes sense.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I've been reading online about CAGED patterns and I get how it relates to chords. Do you then find the root note of each pattern and play a major scale from there?
That's the basis of it, but it goes further than that. The idea is to learn the major scale pattern for each chord shape first. But (a) each major scale pattern also contains shapes (or arpeggios) for every other chord in that key (in the same position); and (b) each CAGED chord form will fit three different scales (or modes if you insist ).

E.g., the "C" form for a G chord (x-10-9-7-8-7) is the skeleton or template for a G major scale in that position (on all 6 strings); and all other chords in that key can be played in the same position, using notes from the same scale pattern.
But also that chord shape can be part of a C or D major scale pattern (because a G chord is also in those keys).
Old 02-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Memorizing a bunch of scale patterns? Are you playing lead guitar, flatpicking, playing fingerstyle, playing jazz? Are you developing your ear for your ear to find intervals on the fly, scale name undetermined? Are you developing your ear for a better sense of style and musicality? Where does it fit in for what you actually play or actually want to play?

Good question. Honestly I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I feel like the more I know the fretboard and how to apply scales, chords etc. the better off I'll be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 PM
BanGuest23456

Working through the major here:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-1...lePattern1.php

The minor here:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-1...Pentatonic.php

CAGED here:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-0...usicTheory.php
Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 AM

I learned scales by the numbers, with 1 being the root note and how they make a chord.

(_) denotes a whole step
(,) denotes a half step

Major scale: 1_2_3,4_5_6_7,1
Root of "A" A_B_C#,D_E_F#_G#,A
Root of "E" E_F#_G#,A_B_C#_D#,E

a chord is every other note of the scale for three notes, starting from the root
An "A" major chord is a 1_3_5 or A,C#,E
An "E" major chord 1_3_5 or E_G#_B

When you hear someone say "We're playing a 1,4,5 in the key of "A"" the chords are A, D and E.

Minor scale: 1_2,3b_4_5,6b_7_1 Root of "A" A_B,C_D_E,F_G_A
a chord is every other note of the scale for three notes, starting from the root
"A" minor chord is a 1,3b,5 or A,C,E

All you need to know is where the root is on the fret board and you can play a scale up down or sideways.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 02-25-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Good question. Honestly I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I feel like the more I know the fretboard and how to apply scales, chords etc. the better off I'll be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am in the process also after years of playing finally seriously trying to learn lead guitar.
There is arguably a lifetime of learning how music theory applies to guitar.
That said and given you mentioned wanting to learn to leads over chords .
While learning major scales and numerous others will have it uses especially later on and as someone mentioned also to not get stuck in the same lead riffs.

That said what my excellent instructor has me doing is learning the Pentatonic scale pattern that royler4 posted. For three reasons.

#1 it is fairly quick to learn and will work for most western popular music Rock,Pop, Folk, Country, Bluegrass and Blues

#2 with that single set of sequential patterns you can play in any major or minor key

#3 it allows you quickly start playing leads over chord progressions and applying them to songs as opposed to simply endlessly playing scales

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write