The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Default Strange rise in soundboard- Luthiers???

I had some buzzing issue with my Takamine Cedar Dread. I adjusted the truss rod and reduced it some, but really raised the action too much.

Took it to a guitar tech at GC (not a very experienced guy, but honest) and he noticed that the soundboard under the bridge seemed to be "bellying" up. It is hard to see, but if you look long enough you can see a slight doming. We tapped it and the soundboard appears to still be firmly attached to the braces.

He said he didn't know what caused it, what to do, or if anything should be done to the soundboard. He said obviously we can sand the saddle, but that I might want to take it to a luthier who knows wood and can better diagnose the prob and the cure.

Any ideas on cause, fix, etc. ??

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Not a luthier, but the top is normally domed, so a bit of a belly is normal.

If you place a flat edge across the width of the top, and both sides touch the binding, then your guitar is probably dehydrated.

If there's bellying below the bridge and sinking above it, then your bridge may have rotated due to string tension.

If you can't lower the saddle any more, and you're still experiencing uncomfortable action, then you may need a neck reset.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm glad the guitar tech was at least honest that he didn't know much. This is quite common in all acoustics. The tension of the strings over time is going to "belly up" the top below the bridge unless your guitar is really heavily braced. This more than likely did not cause the buzzing, probably it is humidity related.

Remember, truss rod adjustments should be done with caution (meaning small turns) and really as a last resort before major work. Probably resetting the truss rod to where it was and a little setup work is all that is needed. A luthier should be able to do this quick and for around $40-50.

Just a tip for the future: most buzzing is caused by small changes, usually weather related. Make sure your guitar is well humidified and wait for the weather to return to normal and see if that helps. If not find a knowledgeable helper.

Good luck

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks!
I thought the top was suppose to have a bit of a dome, but I never sat there and stared across it the way I did today and the guy convinced me it was not normal. He was a wonderful guy and completely honest about his experience and did not try and "pose" as more than what he was. He had been doing this for 1 1/2 years and I was under the impression that most of their work is electric guitar related.

I had been given the names by members here of some hotshots in Austin, but none of the hotshots will call me back So, I decided to try the GC techs. I guess I'll keep calling the hotshots or drive all the way to San Antonio. Can't believe in the Music Capitol of America I can't find an acoustic guitar repairman

Ryan I will most likely be doing some training in Nacogdoches someday and will definitely want to check out your work!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

We'll be more than happy to have you come by. Does seem strange you're having trouble getting ahold of anyone there, but I bet there's a good luthier or two around.

Give us a call when you come out Nac way, we've got some great instruments for you to check out.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair