The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Talking Dallas area builders?

I've been bitten by the bug, and decided to attempt my first acoustic guitar build. I've been doing nothing but reading blogs, watching videos, drooling a bit, and brainstorming ideas for the past 3 weeks. I just received my copy of Guitarmaking, Tradition and Technology yesterday, and I'm about ready to start. I have some wood working experience and I consider myself a handy, and patient guy, but it was strongly suggested to me to find someone local that would be willing to guide me along my way.

My question is this: Does anyone know of any luthiers in DFW (I'm actually just south of Fort Worth) that build acoustics, and might be willing to give occasional advise, and accept compensation from me in the form of beers and burgers?
Seagull - Cedar
Avalon U5 / Earthworks
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Chris,
I build out in East Texas so sorry all your burger and beer money would be wasted on gas. However, there is a good organization that I am a part of in the DFW area (actually more are in Ft. Worth) called LINT (Luthiers Interactive of North Texas). http://www.lint.org
If you jump on it, tomorrow is their first meeting of the year, and not only that, it's their annual Masterclass meeting featuring Ervin Somogyi. Well known as a top builder whose instruments typically pull in $25k+. It would be well worth your time and money to join this great group of guys. They range from beginning builders to true masters of the craft. Even if you miss the meeting tomorrow, you should definately contact them for some local help.
Hope this helps you out, and of course, you can always ask your questions here.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 PM

Ryan,

Thanks for the info! That looks like just what I'm looking for. I shot over an email to the guy taking RSVPs.

What part of East Texas are you from? I have family out in Tyler, and I would love to see one of those gorgeous guitars on your website, in person.
Seagull - Cedar
Avalon U5 / Earthworks
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

We're in Nacogdoches, bout an hour south of Tyler. We would love to see you. Steve will be there tomorrow if you go.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair