The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 AM

Default wood combination?

What do you think the tonal qualities of a Macassar ebony and Adirondack guitar would be? I currently have a Indian Rosewood and englemann guitar and am wanting something with a little bit different tone to add some variety to the mix.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 AM

I think that combo will make a highly responsive guitar. Great mids and bass and great projection. The rest will be up to the builder....
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 AM

I think you could be onto a winner there. Also look at European spruce - my Hamblin GC is in macassar and Swiss spruce, and is a truly superb guitar. Two other luthiers I've spoken to have also recommended Swiss spruce to go with a set of Celebes ebony that I'm looking to have a custom built from.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 AM

VERY crisp!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 PM

I think this will be a good combination for an all around guitar from what I have been reading!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 PM

As a builder, I personally would stay away from that particular combination as it might sound a bit too harsh or "edgy" for many players. Instead, I would pair it with a stiff German Spruce top that would yield a bit more warmth. This is why you often see German Spruce, Engelmann, or Redwood/Cedar used with Macassar Ebony.

That said, it certainly would yield a great sounding guitar but my personal preference would be to temper that combination with a bit more warmth.

Also, instead of going with another Spruce/Rosewood combination (Macassar will definitely fall into the Rosewood-like tonewoods) - you might consider some other classic combinations that will yield a very different sound -- unless you want something that is just moderately different.

Some possibilities might be:

Adirondack / Mahogany
Cedar(Redwood) / Mahogany
Cedar (Redwood) / Walnut
Cedar (Redwood) / Rosewood

And note that you don't have to use those exact back/sides but could also use tonewoods that would fall into the same tonal ballpark. Best of Luck!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM

My goal is to create something with a bit more of a focused sound, and something that I can play lead with in a group. My other guitar is great for rhythm and standard tuning. This guitar will be used for alternate tunings and for finger picking as well as flat picking, (just not alot of strumming). This picking out woods thing is new to me and I am trying to learn as much as I can about how the combinations work together. I picked the macassar ebony because from what I read it fell somewhere inbetween rosewood and mahogany which is where I wanted it to be. I picked the adirondack for the individual note clarity. Is there a different top I could use that will give the clarity of the adirondack but give it more warmth?

thanks for your advice simon.
John
Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
What do you think the tonal qualities of a Macassar ebony and Adirondack guitar would be?
They would be those of the builder and model.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 PM

I am lost now! Explain what you mean please! What part of a guitars tone comes from the wood and what comes from the model and builder? I know that the builder can enhance or damage the tonal potential of the wood, but the builder can't make cedar sound like spruce can he?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM

I agree with Simon. ....I had that combo a few years ago from a famous custom builder and it was very aggressive and crisp. Peter is right, every builder will add his own spin but the woods will have an inherent basic tone to them. The bass notes were amazingly clear and big sounding but I couldn't hang with the mids and trebles.

Try softening the Macassar with Sinker Redwood...
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Hi Japple,
This tonewood stuff can all get pretty confusing. Here is my perspective (and I think most builders would agree with me on this):

The way a guitar is built greatly influences the sound. The balance, response, volume, sustain, and note separation (to name a few) are qualities that a good builder has much control over. The tonewoods also play a big part in the sound. Cedar sounds very different than Spruce -- but when comparing two different makers, the sound of their guitars could vary far more than the difference that exists between a cedar and spruce model from one builder alone.

The bottom line is that you really can't make absolute statements about tone -- especially since players can often have very different tonal "ideals". So instead, we have to deal in vague generalities that oftentimes tend to hold true but not always.

If you are working with an individual builder or small company -- contact them as they can best tell you what combinations will work the best for you on their instruments. If you are buying from a large production maker (Taylor, Martin, Gibson, etc...) -- then I would think that in comparison to the guitar you already have of theirs, you will notice a brittler and edgier tone with the Macassar Ebony. Also, the Adirondack will tend to give you a slightly more direct, crystalline tone than the Engelmann. That is why I suggested German as an "intermediate" between the two that would likely temper that harshness somewhat.

However, you never know until you play the actual guitar whether it is what you are after. It really helps to be as informed as possible about the brand you are buying. Play as many of their guitars as possible to help you understand how the tonewoods affect their sound -- that ideally, is the best way to choose your tonewood combination.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Hi:

I agree with Simon Fay on this.......Tone is a subjective phenomenon! I'm convinced people hear different things or at least they think they do. I played many spruce tops and personally found them to brittle/bright for my own taste. However, i play another spruce in a different setting and it sounded so much more mellow almost like a cedar!

I think the build techniques and wood choices play a huge part but lets not forget no two trees are identical similar may be. Also i think each player handles, plays a guitar uniquely and so can elicit a different or rather their own signature tone.......perhaps the way each luthier works and shapes the woods also has an impact!

On another note, Ive just commissioned a build in LS redwood and Cocobolo, its been a long journey, i thought I'd settled on Cedar, rosewood - sinker redwood Mac Eb, My advice play until you definitely know what you want, like, love.. could be the while package does it ie: looks, feel, smell, tone, volume, sustain, harmonic content, even the Latin name ...(Diospyros celebica) in case of Mac Eb!! Good luck

Play with your heart - Listen with your soul!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicktone View Post
now we're talking!!
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicktone View Post
Plus what a stunning visual combination of woods. I think for open tunings there is nothing like Redwood. Sinker I find threads the needle well between worlds. My Walnut/Sinker Redwood guitar is my main stage guitar as I feel it can do anything I need. However mine would suck at Bluegrass for sure. :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop