The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Default Got my Composite Acoustics OX today!

As the Grateful Dead said, "What a long strange trip its been." Thanks to Ted at L.A Guitar Sales, Laurie at Composite Acoustics, and SeagullMan at the forum for his detective work. The issue of the bridge lifting up was taken care of and my guitar is safely home. A few thoughts on it. The neck is incredibly comfortable for me to play. I have been playing a Elloree Angel while it has been gone with a thick neck and a slightly wider fretboard. Playing the OX its almost hard to believe the nut width is 1 3/4 now. It is an incredibly comfortable couch/ computer guitar. I formally had a CA Bluegrass Performer(which now belongs to another forum member). This guitar is so much better suited for my size. I am five ft 8 and have smaller hands/arms. In pure volume wise I dont think the OX gives up much to the Bluegrass. It is a little less bass heavy, but that is one of the things I like about it. The Bluegrass at times seemed to get almost muddy. I am also loving the cutaway which gives me reach to the upper frets . I always thought of myself as more of a strummer/flatpicker but have been talking lessons and focusing more on fingerstyle. This guitar to me is the Swiss Army knife of guitars. Fingerpicking, flatpicking, just strumming away it handles it well. I really believe that these guitars would have been a runaway hit like the Cargo if CA was still in business. My recommendation is quickly pick one up if you can. These were incredibly well priced(to me underpriced guitars). And on a final note I do hope that Composite Acoustics makes a comeback. Every person I was able to talk to there was great to deal with.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Glad you got your OX back safely and in good playing order......you will really enjoy it. Kudos also to Ted for keeping on the case.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM

I am really glad you were taken care of by CA. Once I saw Laurie was involved I knew you were in good hands. She is aces!

I have an HG OX. I love it. It is as you described and some.

From my limited dealings with CA, I think they have innovative ideas, engineering expertise and excellent customer service. It seems apparent they are missing solid business acumen. If they can find this missing piece for their company I believe they will come back strong.

Enjoy your OX!

Kevin
Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM

great to hear!!!!! All ends well !!!

Yes hoepfully CA can rise up again. I was at a larger guitar shop and they told me an owner of a high end guitar brand flew down to check into buying it but bowed out as it was too much debt for him to take on. The Guitar brands manufacture site isabout 25 miles from my guitar shop I go to. They also cary this brand so the info is probably pretty accurate. So it sounds as it will take some deep pockets to get them going again.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingskunk View Post
As the Grateful Dead said, "What a long strange trip its been." Thanks to Ted at L.A Guitar Sales, Laurie at Composite Acoustics, and SeagullMan at the forum for his detective work.

I really believe that these guitars would have been a runaway hit like the Cargo if CA was still in business. My recommendation is quickly pick one up if you can. These were incredibly well priced(to me underpriced guitars). And on a final note I do hope that Composite Acoustics makes a comeback. Every person I was able to talk to there was great to deal with.
& +1!
And congratulations!

I chose a Cargo instead (and I am 6'4!) But I almost went with the OX. Wonderful guitar. Hope Ca does resurrect.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber