The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Default Composite Acoustic - Does the finish make a difference.

So I am a new member here. I've been reading for a while as I am very interested in buying a Composite Acoustic Guitar. I was at a guitar shop in Westminster MD where I got to play a GX High Gloss, a GX Raw, and a GXi Road Tough. When comparing the the 2 GX models I heard a pretty clear difference between the raw and the High Gloss. It made it hard to compare the GXi because of the different finish. There is a major difference in price so I was wondering if it was worth the money.

So I guess my question is has anyone else heard a major difference when comparing the same model with a different finish? Which one did you think sounded the best?

Right now I am drawn to the GX but would really like to play a GXi in the high gloss and the raw for a better comparison. Not really a fan of the Road Tough.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSwiss10 View Post
So I am a new member here. I've been reading for a while as I am very interested in buying a Composite Acoustic Guitar. I was at a guitar shop in Westminster MD where I got to play a GX High Gloss, a GX Raw, and a GXi Road Tough. When comparing the the 2 GX models I heard a pretty clear difference between the raw and the High Gloss. It made it hard to compare the GXi because of the different finish. There is a major difference in price so I was wondering if it was worth the money.

So I guess my question is has anyone else heard a major difference when comparing the same model with a different finish? Which one did you think sounded the best?

Right now I am drawn to the GX but would really like to play a GXi in the high gloss and the raw for a better comparison. Not really a fan of the Road Tough.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
That is a great question regarding the effect of the finish with respect to tone. In a recent thread (here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=177233 )

a statement is made that the 'raw' finish on the GXi results in a bit more high frequency and mid-range response than with the 'gloss' or 'road tough' finishes. The original poster, Tarpman, is a fellow who is a CA dealer and no doubt has a lot of experience with these guitars. Hopefully he'll respond to your post with some additional insights. I'm very curious myself.

And although I own a GXi with the 'RT' finish with which I am very happy, I bought it sight unseen without ever having played any CA guitar, so my experience with them is very limited.

Hope you get some answers!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 AM

Reading between the rosey lines (and owning a CA Legacy Raw), I get the feeling that the painted tops deaden the sound making it appear "deeper". The raws are brighter perhaps because the tops are more resonate and lively.

JackL
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 AM

I would agree with the above I have two high gloss CAs. One is the painted sunburst and the other is clearcoat on the weave. You have to believe that this coat of material affects sound. I could tell a difference between a ruff coat and high gloss when I played them. It was very slight and the store owner thought I was nuts. I think deaden is the negative term but probably accurate. I bought the high gloss for look and feel. Maybe on vacation I will happen upon a shop that gives me experience with all the finishes. Remember the Beatles taking the finish off their Epiphones, I should strip down my CA and report back.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-20-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the High Gloss based on looks and sound. I just wanted to know what other people's opinions were. Is it worth the large gap in price. I am starting to think yes. Now I still need to decide on the GX or the GXi. I like both so much but can't afford both. Right now I mostly play open strumming which I think sounds best on the GX, but I am learning a lot of James Taylor who is my favorite artist of all time, and I think that sounds better on the GXi. I need to find a sponsor so I can buy both.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 AM

I like the High Gloss feel as well. I was going back and forth with the GX and GXI and I think I would have gotten the GX because the sound is more traditional. But I ended up with a Legacy for other non musical reasons. CA is making life too difficult with so many good models and now finishes. Life was simplier when your discision was Martin or Gibson.
steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-20-2010, 02:27 PM

So I finally made a decision. This morning I purchased a GXi High Gloss with the charcoal finish. The sound, appearance, and feel are all beautiful. I am super happy.

On a side note for anybody in Maryland, if you are looking for a guitar shop I can't say enough about Fine Acoustics on Main St in Westminster MD. The guy that owns it is a great guy and a pleasure to do business with. They sell Composite Acoustic, Santa Cruz, Collings, and others like them.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

No need to remove the finish from your CA Steve, I can describe the differences in tone between the three finish options. To put is simply, the thicker the finish the "warmer" the tone. If you are not used to carbon guitars you may find high gloss models more pleasing to the ear. Models with thinner finishes tend to be more responsive, and a bit more bright. Of course the high gloss is the thickest finish, followed by the RT, and the RAW models have no finish at all. The difference in tone between the three finishes are subtle, but there is a difference.

BTW, some models are more sensitive to the finish differences than others. For instance the GXi and X models are quite forgiving whereas the OX and Cargo can become completely different guitars with a different finish. If you normally play a Taylor dread then you will feel right at home with the Legacy RAW, but if your favorite dreadnaught says Martin on the headstock than I would suggest going with the Legacy gloss. The GX in HG, RT, and RAW all have slightly different personalities as well which is why I own two, an HG and a RAW.

KWsiss10, congrats on the new GXi, and welcome to the carbon family.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber