The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 AM

Default Anyone used a bridgeplate transducer along with an internal mic?

Recently I've begun using JJB transducers in all of my acoustics, and, while they sound good, they DO leave something to be desired in capturing a natural acoustic tone, or at least, capturing the natural air and resonance of the guitar's body, which I believe a brings a lot to the natural acoustic tone. That said, I've toyed with the idea of using an internal mic to complement the tone of the transducers. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how was the end result? Is it workable?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:13 AM

K & k trinity has this

https://youtu.be/nYOXwWKrckU
Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

I have one guitar, a Collings DS1ASB which came with this kit. including the mic, and pre-amp. But I've never really taken the opportunity to really test it "in anger".

I have recently had the basin contact units fitted to two other guitars - my 12 string, and my older Collings DS2h.

I think that can sound very good, but of course it needs a fair amount of setting up, and all depends on the p.a. that you put it through.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Yes, I used the K&K PM with a D-TAR Wavelength Dual Source preamp system. The preamp unit includes a high fidelity, low noise, condenser mic that works great. I recently started using modeling preamps for convenience, so I no longer need the internal mic. Most of the internal mic systems also attach via the soundboard. So, if you have a very lightly braced and lively guitar, like my Marquis, you may notice some minor dampening. I am now trying out the mini K&K Pre Phase simple internal preamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Bridge plate no but dual system yes I have a Fishman Matrix system with a under saddle and an internal mic in my Taylor I use for gigs an really like it. My guess is a bridge plate mic combo would be closer to the acoustic tone.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHKennedy View Post
Recently I've begun using JJB transducers in all of my acoustics, and, while they sound good, they DO leave something to be desired in capturing a natural acoustic tone, or at least, capturing the natural air and resonance of the guitar's body, which I believe a brings a lot to the natural acoustic tone. That said, I've toyed with the idea of using an internal mic to complement the tone of the transducers. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how was the end result? Is it workable?

David, are you a finger style solo guitar artist? If not, you might look for one of the modeling or para EQ systems for a very good tone. The mic provides more realistic tone, but it is not without drawbacks. I think Doug Young and other solo guitar artists really like them. If you're a singer songwriter type like me, you might consider a modeling solution to get good enough (very good) tone with little feedback or fiddling before gigs. It might not sound exactly like your guitar, but it will sound very good. Just something to consider. Also, you might want to hold out for the new Tonedexter system, which uses reassignment modeling, trained with a real microphone, to make your pickup sound EXACTLY like your guitar trough a mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I have heard and played a few guitars with an internal microphone along with K&K Minis... they sound "okay" but not worth the extra hassle and expense fo the installation, pre-amp for mixing and treating signals, etc., etc....

I have a Goodall Grand Concert with a K&K; it is not my main "stage" guitar, but were I to use it in any sort of amplified show, I would definitely use a mic , along with the K&K, for precisely the same reasons of which you spoke. For a little breath and string noise.

To me, the problem with internal mics is that NO ONE listens to a guitar from inside the body of the thing!

I play seated and don't juke around all that much, so it's not a big deal to have an external mic on a gooseneck, attached to my main microphone stand. I used an SM-57 with USTs when I had them in my main stage guitars, and it worked great! Still got the very "direct" sound from the pickup, but the added breath and string noise gave it that last 15% or so... I never have the volume of that external microphone turned up very high, so feedback has not been a problem in this application.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I always add a mic to sbts (or USTs, for matter). To me, it can make a big difference. A good mic can help. I've often used DPA 4061s, but lately have been using the Audix L5O.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 AM

In short, Yes, this has been done by a lot of people and in many ways. There have been many versions of pairing an internal mic with a pickup of some sort done by many different manufacturers. I think it makes improvements. There is a big hassle to go along with that. I have even combined an attached external mic.

Many of these systems can be heard on Doug Young's pickup test page. Dougyoungguitar.com

I finally gave up and went simple and I am extremely happy. If you want, check out the Dazzo pickups. It's handmade, not well known. But it takes your JJB or K and K type of pickup one step further and it sounds more like a microphone. It's best for live sound not home recording direct. Just my two cents.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-17-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
David, are you a finger style solo guitar artist? If not, you might look for one of the modeling or para EQ systems for a very good tone. The mic provides more realistic tone, but it is not without drawbacks. I think Doug Young and other solo guitar artists really like them. If you're a singer songwriter type like me, you might consider a modeling solution to get good enough (very good) tone with little feedback or fiddling before gigs. It might not sound exactly like your guitar, but it will sound very good. Just something to consider. Also, you might want to hold out for the new Tonedexter system, which uses reassignment modeling, trained with a real microphone, to make your pickup sound EXACTLY like your guitar trough a mic.
I kicked that around for a while, but I really didn't want to haul a pedalboard around every time I decided to play a small venue. A lot of my acoustic work is more singer-songwriter and cover-based, and I don't do a lot of fingerpicking. I understand the feedback issues commonly associated with internal mics, but I rarely use my acoustic in a setting where that would be too prevalent.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHKennedy View Post
I kicked that around for a while, but I really didn't want to haul a pedalboard around every time I decided to play a small venue. A lot of my acoustic work is more singer-songwriter and cover-based, and I don't do a lot of fingerpicking. I understand the feedback issues commonly associated with internal mics, but I rarely use my acoustic in a setting where that would be too prevalent.

Makes sense. This was my reasoning as well. Then, I started using the TC Play Acoustic for performances. My vocals sounded great. Then I tried the guitar effects and was impressed. I HATE the idea of bringing a big stomp box to play out, but it sounds really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 PM

I've got a K&K Trinity on my 000-18ge. I've got mixed feelings about it.

It sounds fine, but I don't think I'm getting $200 more sound out of the mic.

If I had to do it again (and I probably will) I'll just get the K&K and spend the other $200 on riotous living.

YMMV.

Last edited by chitz; 01-17-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I can't speel :)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I always add a mic to sbts (or USTs, for matter). To me, it can make a big difference. A good mic can help. I've often used DPA 4061s, but lately have been using the Audix L5O.
Doug, how do you like the Audix L5O? What prompted you to try it and how is it different from the DPA 4061?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd View Post
Doug, how do you like the Audix L5O? What prompted you to try it and how is it different from the DPA 4061?

Thanks,
Greg
I was installing a new pickup, and couldn't find a used 4061 on ebay - they sort of come and go. Juber uses the Audix, so I figured I'd just try one. It's $199 new, a little more than $150 you can usually get a used 4061 for, but not bad, and a brand new mic with no risk that it's not up to spec. It's a bit hotter than the 4061, and sounds at least as good in the guitar. The DPA is a real pain to wire, hair-like wires, while the Audix is "normal", really easy to work with.

And for the silly clincher, it's black :-) The 4061 comes in black, but the used ones that show up are almost always from shows, where the beige/flesh color worked best for hiding against performer's faces.

Anyway, all in all, I like it a lot, I'll probably switch other guitars to it over time, just to be consistent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification