The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 AM

Default Output level problem of highlander ip2 with sunrise pickup

I've got a guitar installed with highlander ip2 & sunrise pickup through Grace Felix preamp. However, I notice that the signal from the Highlander ip2 is so high that even I turn the gain completely off, the green light still on. On the other hand, the signal of the sunrise pickup is so low that I need to turn at least 1pm in order to start light up the green bulb. I wonder that's normal or some adjustments I can do in order to have similar signal level feed in my Grace Felix preamp?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:19 AM

So from what it looks like, the IP2 buffers/boosts the signal from the UST, but not the second channel. There is an option to power the second channel i.e. condenser microphone, but this is not useful for the mag pickup. I feel that is what you're up against. You may be better off running the UST in passive mode if possible, or finding a way to boost the Sunrise pickup signal.

A cool solution would be to boost the Sunrise via the on board condenser power supply via the IP2...

Found good reading here which confirms my suspicions.
Paracho Bajo Quinto
Gabbanelli solid body bajo quinto (M1A/DP156)

Amps:
VOX AGA150
Line 6 spider

Last edited by Bajoquintoguy; 01-13-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 PM

Yes, I guess that's the problem.

May I ask how to boost the Sunrise via the on board condenser power supply via the IP2?

According to the tech specs sheet of highlander ip2, the power supply is connected to the ring of the access jack. But at the 3.5mm stereo jack plug, the ring must be left open...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I've got a guitar installed with highlander ip2 & sunrise pickup through Grace Felix preamp. However, I notice that the signal from the Highlander ip2 is so high that even I turn the gain completely off, the green light still on. On the other hand, the signal of the sunrise pickup is so low that I need to turn at least 1pm in order to start light up the green bulb. I wonder that's normal or some adjustments I can do in order to have similar signal level feed in my Grace Felix preamp?
How do you connect your dual source pickups to the Grace Felix?

Also, how do you have the Felix' internal jumper J2 set? For low gain or high gain? If you are feeding the Highlander into channel 1 the J2 jumper should be set for low gain.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 01-13-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:10 AM

I connect the highlander pickup end pin with 1 TRS to 2 mono to Grace Felix, Sunrise pickup to channel 1, highlander to ip-2. Haven't tried to use the internal jumper. I think it is pre-set as low gain. Cause I have another guitar with Seymour duncan SA6 & L.R.Baggs Element, they both have similar output, so I would like to ask whether the situation of the Highlander IP2 & Sunrise pickup with so different output level is normal or not?

I'm afraid there's some detail I miss out about the process of connecting Sunrise pickup into the access Jack of Highlander pickup, or any button in sunrise or highlander that compressed the output level of that...
Old 01-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I connect the highlander pickup end pin with 1 TRS to 2 mono to Grace Felix, Sunrise pickup to channel 1, highlander to ip-2. Haven't tried to use the internal jumper. I think it is pre-set as low gain. Cause I have another guitar with Seymour duncan SA6 & L.R.Baggs Element, they both have similar output, so I would like to ask whether the situation of the Highlander IP2 & Sunrise pickup with so different output level is normal or not?

I'm afraid there's some detail I miss out about the process of connecting Sunrise pickup into the access Jack of Highlander pickup, or any button in sunrise or highlander that compressed the output level of that...
1. Make sure Ch 1 on the Felix is set to low gain on the internal jumper.

2. Run the Highlander into Ch 1 (not CH 2). Set the impedance for CH 1 to 1 meg, also try it at 10K and choose one of those impedance settings.

3. Run the Sunrise through CH 2. Set the impedance to CH2 to 1 meg, also try it at 334K and choose one of those impedance settings.

That should narrow the amplitude disparity between the two pickups by quite a bit.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, I guess that's the problem.

May I ask how to boost the Sunrise via the on board condenser power supply via the IP2?

According to the tech specs sheet of highlander ip2, the power supply is connected to the ring of the access jack. But at the 3.5mm stereo jack plug, the ring must be left open...
I think the most suitable device to boost the Sunrise signal would be an on-board preamp designed to work on 9 volts inside a guitar. Which can then be powered by the ring on the access jack.

Highlander has you leave the ring open for passive applications, but with careful wiring and parts selection I'm sure you could boost/buffer the mag pickup signal.

If I had your setup I would chase this option because setup and adjustments are easier when your source signals have similar strengths/levels.
Paracho Bajo Quinto
Gabbanelli solid body bajo quinto (M1A/DP156)

Amps:
VOX AGA150
Line 6 spider
Old 01-15-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Highlander has you leave the ring open for passive applications, but with careful wiring and parts selection I'm sure you could boost/buffer the mag pickup signal.
Yes, that's what I would like to do. However, the tech sheet from Highlander IP-2 mentioned that the ring of Mag pickup must be left open (unconnected). I have no idea how to do that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification