The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Default what do you do?.....

when ;you pick up the guitar and you know you want to play, but you play the same old thing and feel uninspired?
Do you put it down for a day or two, or do you play anyways.
thoughts?
dave
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I play anyway, love to hear my guitars so if it's the same six or seven songs night after night than so be it..
Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM

i go on Youtube and serch "bluegrass songs" and i try to learn them Really good thing to do is download a youtube clip you like ( if it aint a lesson ) then download vlc and slowdown the clip. It make it very easy to learn.

Sorry the English.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 PM

My guitar has been downstairs in its case un-touched for about a month because of this same thing. I'm looking to get another guitar within the next year. All I have now is a dread, and I played a Taylor GC-12 fret and I fell in love and all that "same ol' stuff" sounded pretty darn amazing and fun.

I think that my problem may be the instrument itself and not me.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM

I usually tune it differently and try and work out scales and chords, most times I learn to use the tuning and it suggests something different sounding, and I get my mojo back. It can be quite fun then going back to standard and trying to play the same thing.
Worked for me often.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM

A good practice routine is:

10 minutes = stuff from previous lessons

10 minutes = working on new stuff

10 minutes = playing anything you want just for fun.

That can help to move you forward (esp. when you feel stuck)

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 PM

If I feel uninspired I learn something new.
I have a folder of songs I want to learn. They are all work-intense (at least for a hack like me) fingerstyle pieces. Once I get into them they are fun but it's hard to get started on a new one.
So, being uninspired and not wanting to play any old songs is actually an opportunity for me to start something new.
Christian
Old 11-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
when ;you pick up the guitar and you know you want to play, but you play the same old thing and feel uninspired?
thoughts?
dave
I play and I work on something new. There is no better way to get out of a rut than to learn new stuff.

- Glenn
Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 AM

New material is the key, I feel. When I feel uninspired, I play anyway, as I have, I think, an unnatural fear of "losing something" in not playing. I plod on to maintain dexterity, at least; the enthusiasm and excitement always return without a layoff from guitar. Emotional extremes often seem to be a catalyst for my best playing, but those things can't be forced. It helps me to listen to music before I begin my practice; often that sends me in an unexpected direction. When I'm just plain uninspired, though, I force myself to practice some things that need work, as I'm dedicated if nothing else, and then move on to something I've never attempted. A new project seems to distract me from a feeling of stagnation or lifelessness.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycash View Post
i go on Youtube and serch.
This is an excellent suggestion. But I don't look for videos of the "pros" I look for videos by regular people who do essentially what I do. It's a great way to get new ideas for what you perceive as old, tired songs. Alternatively, some of the performances you'll find will make you feel good about yourself.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 AM

I agree with learning new material. I also stick with what has always kept me playing through thick and thin. Guitar is an evolution, good, bad, inspired, uninspired, rich, poor, whatever you have to keep going. I guess the same can be said of life.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM

write a song about it. that is to say, write a song about how you are uninspired etc.
it is something that most people will be able to relate to sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
thoughts?
dave
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM

I keep a list of tunes I know. For each tune I also include the key I play it in and alternate tuning, if any (Drop D, open G etc).

I also keep a list of new tunes I'm practicing.

Bored? In a rut? Just read over the lists and see if something pops out. If that doesn't work, the other suggestions in the thread are good too.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

From Kenny Werner's book, "Effortless Mastery" - I will sit with the guitar in my lap, not even my hands on it to play, and close my eyes for a minute, thinking about how long I've played, what the guitar and music means to me, how much I love it all - then place my hands on the instrument and play what comes... and love it!

So many people don't have the ability to play the guitar, don't have that outlet in their lives... so, I appreciate my talent, ability, and skill with the guitar, and my love for it and knowledge of it... EVERYDAY!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I think that my problem may be the instrument itself and not me.
There is a long quote by Charles Swindoll that ends "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

This has stuck with me over the years. I am not a good player but I do get the same malaise sometimes when working in my shop. If I find myself saying "it's because I don't have the proper tool" I dope slap myself with the quote above and get on with it.

Hope that helps.

Greg N

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion