The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2017, 12:08 PM

Default Pickup or just a condenser mic?

I recently purchased a pure acoustic Taylor 324, no wires at all. I'd like to keep it wire free but I do play at church from time to time.

I know I could get a pickup installed but now I'm thinking about just going with a nice or nicer condenser mic.

What do you all think? I just like the idea of keeping my Taylor 324 absolutely wireless...

If you do use a condenser mic, what brand/model would you recommend?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM

One of these: http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produc...ophones/edwina. Check out the Milk Carton Kids video down the page. Perfect for solo/duet acoustic gigs and no wires for the guitar.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Go with the mic.
If it doesn't do the trick, you can add a pick up later.

You will need to have someone EQ the PA for the mic.
Feedback can be an issue.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 PM

I love the sound of a good studio condenser mic.
I hate the sound of every single under-saddle piezo electric pick up that I have heard.
They sound nasal, plastic, like a duck quacking.
But when performing I hate to be handcuffed to a mic stand.
I also hate drilling holes in my guitars.
I guess I'm just a hater.

I've bought IMO the perfect solution, a fine condenser mic, that clips onto outside of the guitar, where guitars are designed to sound their best.
Made in Denmark it's pricey at $619, but totally worth it.
Since it takes 10 seconds to clip on you can move it to all your other guitars.
I have 8 guitars and buying even a cheap quacking $100 PU for each would be more expensive.
For $35 you can buy one of the other clips to use it on everything from piano, to violin, to sax, to drums.
This condenser does not accommodate a battery, so whatever you plug it into must supply phantom power.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/microp...one-for-guitar

Another huge benefit is being able to EQ or reduce feedback by simply adjusting the gooseneck to change the position and angle of the capsule.
You don't even have to reach down to touch a DI box or mixer.
Since it is a highly directional shotgun supercardioid pattern, inches from the sound source, small movements make a large change of sound.
Best of all the sound is as accurate and natural as a fine studio condenser, which it is.

The clip is snug and stable if you position it where your hand/arm won't touch it but for peace of mind I also secure it to the guitar's side with gaffer tape.

Last edited by Tico; 01-13-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm having the same dilemma. I don't want to alter my Martin and a mic is the best option but - I like to use my looper, so I'm probably going to have a pickup installed.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM

Is your goal public performance or home recording?

For public performance it's just more practical to just plug in. Get over the whole pristine thing cause virtually everyone else plugs in because it works, is predictable and is a lot easier on the sound guy. The K&K Mini is as much low fuss a pickup as you can ask for & doesn't leave a mark if you decide to take it out. It's the least piezo sounding pickup I've tried, no brittle ice-pick tones at all.

For home recording the condenser mic is the way to go. I have a Audio-Technica AT2020 and it sounds great. Make sure you have phantom power for it.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM

If $619 is out of the question for the above DPA, the next best PU IMO is the LR Baggs Lyric at $199.
It mounts with double sided foam tape to the underside of the bridge.
There is no peizo element.
Nothing installs between the saddle and the bridge that could affect the transfer of vibration from the strings to the soundboard.

The element is a condenser mic.
The system accommodates a 9v battery for phantom power and requires you drill a hole in the guitar's body.

I installed one into my Guild D-55 and it sounds excellent, especially for the price ... though the DPA sounds better.

Last edited by Tico; 01-13-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:47 PM

The only time I am going with an onboard pickup is if there is no option, as in we are using someone else's system and it's too much too expect them to set up a condenser.
If that's what the bulk of your playing involves, get a pickup put in.
That Edwina Condenser is nice, but you don't have to spend near that much and you can get a good condenser mic unless your planning on using it for vocals and guitar together.

Here's what I am using for guitar with our system.:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ser-microphone

Works very well and the EQ on my small Yamaha board allows me to tailor my guitar tone. We use powered speakers but you can run a condenser through an amp with phantom power
Sounds better than any pickup I have heard and I have the highly respected LR Baggs Anthem SL in one of my guitars.

There are many very good condenser mics out there.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Eric Skye

If it's a bigger room and fairly quiet audience, and you don't need any or much monitors, a large diaphragm is a great way to go.

Here's a new video https://youtu.be/_YdLzn_Vb2I of me playing to five hundred and fifty people with just a MXL 992 -it's not my first choice for a large diaphragm condenser for sure (an AKG 414 is -but 214 is a really great less expensive live mic that I recommend for sure) but it's what the theater had and I didn't feel like flying with my 414 that time. We did a bass roll-off at the mic and I used no monitor -but obviously in a big quiet room I could hear myself perfectly.

In a smaller room or a louder audience or stage, it's harder. I would have a decent vocal dynamic on hand just in case, like an Audix i5 or Shure SM58, or even a hand-held vocal condenser like the Blue Encore 300...

Don't be afraid of using just mic. It takes a lot of research and practice to understand how it works, and you likely want two mics available to you for any given situation, but it's very doable. That said I do have a K&K in my guitar that end up using a few times a year. Next week at the NAMM show for example -which is ironically there worst place on Earth to hear music.

Last edited by min7b5; 01-13-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM

Another clip-on mic type is the prodipe:

http://www.prodipe.co.uk/mics/2138-g...r-ukulele.html
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Couple of points :

a large condenser mic will require phantom power.

You don't need to feel movement restricted unless you need to move more than about 2-3 feet.

A condenser mic will give the best possible sound of you and your guitar - which is why they use 'em in studios.

I use an old Rode NT1 and get complimented on our sound every time we play.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM

I think microphones are a great way to go if you can. I like the AKG C535EB

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C535EB

and the Shure Beta 57A

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Beta57A
Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM

I'm a fan of the condenser mic approach. Nothing sounds better. I have an ETL "Josephine" (about $600) and an Audio Technica AT4033 (about $300), both of which I like. I'd say the AT is a bit warmer, and the ETL is a bit airier. If the setup at your church does not have the ability to supply phantom power, you can get a power supply for about $30. Since this is not the standard approach for live sound (although getting a lot more popular these days), be sure and allow some extra time to work with the person running sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification