The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Taylor GS Mini + K&K Pure Mini + Fishman Aura Spectrum enough for bluegrass lead?

The choice of guitar is a somewhat arbitrary since we're talking about amplification (I just got a GS Mini Mahogany), but I was wondering if the combination of a K&K Pure Mini and Fishman Aura Spectrum, maybe through a QSC K10 powered speaker or Fishman Loudbox would provide adequate stage volume in a bluegrass or rock setting without feeding back, or whether I would need a multi pickup setup like K&K suggests with their PowerMix Pure System. Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Well, I googled "K&K Pure Mini Aura Spectrum" and it looks like the combination doesn't yield very good results, so maybe I should pick a different one.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=186172
Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlehandle View Post
Well, I googled "K&K Pure Mini Aura Spectrum" and it looks like the combination doesn't yield very good results, so maybe I should pick a different one.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=186172
If you're looking to use the Spectrum, get an under saddle transducer for your Mini. OR get the K&K or some other kind of pickup and use a different preamp--or even go direct into your K10, or a mixer, which will be possible with some pickups.

I'm not sure a Mini would be my guitar of choice for either rock or bluegrass, but the K10 will certainly give you adequate amplification for a number of contexts. It does depend, however, a lot on how the rest of the band is being amplified and in what sort of spaces.

Louis
Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM

If your heart is set on a Aura, you’d be better off with a UST. That’s a good choice in a small bodied guitar, as you can add ‘size' with both EQ and your choice of Aura preset. If you had something like a J45 or D-28, I’d be saying 'get a Lyric'
Old 12-22-2013, 04:53 AM

The Red Eye is spoken about often on this forum as a great preamp for a K&K setup. Here are all 5 star reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Eye-Devel...ews/B0089EUZ4A
Old 12-26-2013, 04:58 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Mi-Si Acoustic Trio (LR Baggs Element) system?

http://mi-si.com/products/

Also wondering if any has sent their guitar to Fishman for a "custom aura image." The current Aura Image Library has a Baby Taylor, but there's no GS Mini yet.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM

I've yet to try the K&K mini with the Aura a Spectrum, but I have been using the Aura Spectrum + Fishman UST in a church system with QSC K8 as monitors, and it is one of the best combinations I have ever used. I would expect the K10 to be even better with more low end. The QSCs have tremendous headroom and (for my ears) very flat, even response. With the right model selected on the Aura Spectrum, dialed at 50/50, the result is the closest I have ever had to pure acoustic in a room. It's one data point only; I am sure there other good ones. I think one key is good powered monitors with lots of headroom.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlehandle View Post
Also wondering if any has sent their guitar to Fishman for a "custom aura image." The current Aura Image Library has a Baby Taylor, but there's no GS Mini yet.
I am pretty sure getting a custom image costs as much or more than the GS mini itself. I doubt anyone has or will do it.

You could email Fishman and ask them if they have it or will get it soon. From my experience Fishman responds to emails quite quickly.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Seems that you would be better off by keeping the GS Mini at home and getting a guitar that's more suitable to Bluegrass, unless this is a "one off" type of event for you... the Mini "might" be a good guitar for light rock when amplified, depending upon the type of pickup you choose for it.

There have been many (read= MANY!) threads on the subject of "what type of pickup for what type of music"... I don't think the K&K alone would get you there; the louder you play, the more problematic amplifying an acoustic guitar is... unless you have a dedicated soundman and a LOT of expensive gear at your disposal!

One contradiction is: most folks want their guitars to sound like acoustic instruments, the same as their guitar only louder, yet, when playing in a band situation, you need to have the guitar "sit" in the mix of all the other instruments, NOT necessarily sounding like the guitar does when played alone... in a band, your little acoustic guitar is going to pick up vibrations from ALL the other instruments and voices going on, at the same time; the low frequencies of your bassist, for instance, will wreak havoc when intertwined with your acoustic guitar's low frequencies... as will the kick drum, as will the lower registers of the keyboard, etc. etc. etc.

All I have heard on these pages (and on other sites) tells me that the Aura system DOES NOT DO WELL with any sort of pickup other than a UST... I've had great experiences with the Fishman Matrix Natural UST; the Baggs Element is smooth, but seemed to change the unplugged sound (both tone and volume) of my long-loved Mark Angus #35... (The Element is part of the Anthem system, and I like the way it sounds amplified, so I have left it in my two "stage" guitars...)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification