The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
What board is that?
That's just a little Gator Pedal Tote that I picked up used off of eBay several years ago. I've almost replaced it with a Pedaltrain several times, but the Gator does the job and comes with a nice soft case.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM

The boards now a work in progress again...

Added a compressor, a new PSU to feed everything, and a polytune mini to replace the polytune because the new compressor wouldn't fit... Its all been sitting here ready for ages, but haven't had a chance to sort it out. Should all be rewired this week.

Have realised I never answered this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Hey Luke,
What prompted you to run the Nova through the Venue's loop? I was considering do so, but not certain what I would "get" that is advantageous? I'd appreciate your thoughts
I went for using the loop over running it "in front" because it then sits after the gain stage of the Baggs so any noise from the Nova won't get amplified even more. The loop is also post-EQ (if I remember right), so the guitar gets EQ'd first of all, and then reverb is applied afterwards, rather than the whole lot being EQ'd together.

Last edited by Luke W; 04-08-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Image size failure
Old 04-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Default My Acoustic Pedalboard

Good Day. I finally finished my acoustic pedalboard for my Yamaha FGX720SCA Acoustic guitar. Any input will be greatly appreciated, please let me know your thoughts...

Effects Loop chain as follow:

MXR Noise Clamp>>Radial PZ-Pre Pre-amp>>TC Helicon GXT>>Zoom A2>>
Boss GX7 Equalizer>>TC Flachback Delay>>TC Hall Of Fame Reverb>>MXR Analog Chorus with TC Polytune Tuner...

Running through Mackie DFX6 Mixer and Mackie MR5 & MR8 Studio Monitor

Please click the link below
https://www.flickr.com/photos/120979...7643853707895/

Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Here's mine...

Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Here's mine...

Sorry I could not resist following this one - after yours had babies.

In addition to my main three guitars I also sometimes use Mando and Baritone Uke, plus my electric through the Blackstone.
This is an all-in-one affair mounted on surplus plastic covered steel mesh as is used here in pay-phone boxes instead of glass.
The diamond pattern spacing is perfect for most 1/4" jacks. Cioks DC8 Power supply is underneath.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

Last edited by nrand; 04-15-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdees81 View Post
So this is the rig i use for my shows.
Would love to see others! If anyone has any ideas on ways i could get a different sound let me know!
Thanks!!

Korg Pitchblack, Mxr dyna comp, Vox 847 wah, MXR Phase 90, Para Driver Di, MXR Micro CHorus, Visual Sound H20, RedWitch Eve Tremolo,
Mooer ReEcho & Mooer Shimverb.
Martin OMCPA4
What settings do you use for the Shimverb?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Minimal Pedalboard

I enjoyed seeing what others have done to try to get some ideas so I thought I might as well join in the fun ...

I have tried to minimalize my pedal board as much as possible and here is what it has turned out to become (for the moment) ... just Carl Martin Para going into Tonebone PZ Pre but with an effects loop for if I want/need to temporarily add any additional pedals.

The pedalboard frame/base is self made to fit exactly to the pedals. I like doing it this way because I just hate untidy or wasted pedalboard real-estate. It's extruded alu so very light/sturdy and is 3 cm high to allow for powersupplies underneath.

It is small and compact but still very powerful ... I get 4 semi parametric EQ dials, bass + treble dials, very narrow notch, selectable high shelf, effects loop and boost switch, tuner out, pre and post EQ balanced out for desk/PA, jack out for amp. It is also dual source or dual instrument capable.

There is only one power lead out and underneath I have custom housed the 15v for the Tonebone. There is also a custom housed 9vdc/800amp power supply with 9v socket out under there so I can easily and neatly connect any additional pedal like my looper or a small reverb without having to connect any extra walwarts.

The two blots on the landscape ... the 2 remaining cable ties ... will soon disappear
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
9vdc/800amp
oops ... just noticed. I'm not that crazy! I'm not planning to run an array of electric cookers in the effects loop ... I meant 800mA.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 AM

I really like the direction Luke & Jan went. Mine has gone through a complete transformation lots of lessons learned along the way.

Less is more. Quality over quantity. Pre/DI with K&k, once you hit a certain level of quality it has more to do with what features I needed. I prefer 1 trick ponies to pedals that do a bunch good. Understated beats lush. Once I got the right subtle reverb, I never hit my delay. When I miss delay I'll buy one. Stop at what works instead of looking to the latest and greatest. What works is what hits me in the gut. Newest doesn't necessarily beat old staples. Overdrive is tricky. A good return policy was the only way to find it. Bass player boards have ideas that work better for acoustic than electric. Anything not getting tapped regularly goes. Along the way I've gotten out of HOF, half dozen ODs, both skies, empress ParaEQ, Empress Compressor, chrono delay, super delay and red-eye. Most of which were great depending on application.

Will post what I landed on in a few days.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM

> Less is more. Quality over quantity.

Yeah ... it took me while to learn those two important lessons. They kinda go hand in hand ...

We have an expression where I live which roughly translated goes "buying cheap costs expensive". This is so true ... the amount of times in the past I bought the cheaper or lesser quality option only to end up not so satisfied and having to buy again. I end up with more equipment and spent more money.

> I prefer 1 trick ponies to pedals that do a bunch good

Me too. I've found over the years that the multi devices, although they do a lot, don't do any of it great.

> Overdrive is tricky.

It's especially true here I think. When I got my last overdrive pedal a mate of mine got the then new Vox Tonelab multi do da ... he couldn't understand spending the same amount on a pedal that had only one sound when you could have loads of sounds plus effects.

> Anything not getting tapped regularly goes.

My categories are things that always get used, things that sometimes get used and the rest. The Tonebone and Carl Martin were the 2 pedals that were always there no matter how I changed the board and always on too.

I'm thinking of making a small sub board that I can plug to the main board that contains some of the sometimes used pedals. It can be lower than my main board because no power supply needed (comes from the main board). I'd just place it in front of the main board when I feel like it.

> Will post what I landed on in a few days.

Be interesting to see what you end up with.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM

No pictures but my PB is:

DC Brick power supply

PADI -> Ernie Ball volume pedal -> Crybaby -> TC Electronics HOF reverb -> Boss Blues Driver -> Digitech Multi Chorus -> Digitech Jamman Looper with the Aux pedal.

I primarily play the acoustic guitar with just a light touch of reverb from the HOF. When playing over a loop is when I add in effects and or volume change. I want the melody to stand out from the rhythm/loop. I will also use a harmonica without electronic effects to play over a loop.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke W View Post
The boards now a work in progress again...

Added a compressor, a new PSU to feed everything, and a polytune mini to replace the polytune because the new compressor wouldn't fit... Its all been sitting here ready for ages, but haven't had a chance to sort it out. Should all be rewired this week.

Have realised I never answered this:

I went for using the loop over running it "in front" because it then sits after the gain stage of the Baggs so any noise from the Nova won't get amplified even more. The loop is also post-EQ (if I remember right), so the guitar gets EQ'd first of all, and then reverb is applied afterwards, rather than the whole lot being EQ'd together.
Man. I've been drooling over those Cali 76 comps for a year. How do you like it for acoustic? Played electric through it, yet?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 AM

Been loving it on the acoustic, my guitars got a UST and the 76 does a really nice job of flattening out the harsh transients. Even with more compression than you'd need, it still sounds decent. Not tried it on electric yet though.

Got a picture of the finished board, but can't upload it at work, will sort it out later. Edit: Here it is....

Last edited by Luke W; 04-28-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 AM

Here is my board, as it was a week ago. It is now slightly different. I play outdoors for long stretches, and find that being able to switch up the dynamics helps keep things fresh. Not pictured, TC Helicon T1 for vocals. Great little unit.

Link: http://www.reverbnation.com/control_...3328407/photos
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

Need to solder some angle connectors to tidy things up, but this is what I ended up with until a real need presents itself.

Taylor GC > K&K > Lehle Acouswitch [Second Parallel Effects Loop 30%] > RAT > Cali76 > G Labs Reverb >>[return] > Amp (xlr out to board either amp
or Lehle)

Last edited by akagilligan; 04-30-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification