The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Default made a HUGE mistake yesterday...

The place where I take my lessons is a Tom Anderson dealer, Evans Music City in Houston, Texas.

I always go in early and shoot the bull with the guys before my lesson, you know "guitar talk" LOL

Well yesterday I let John talk me into playing an Anderson T series (3 sc coil pickup design) plugged into a Dr Z amp. I should have NEVER done that....I am jonesing for one of those now...even though it will be a LONG time before I can do the guitar justice. What an incredible instrument and amp combination.

thats all...carry on.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Only thing that works for me. Get somebody you know who is a great guitarist to play the cheapest buster el cheapo guitar you can find and realize it's 90% in your fingers.

Martin 000-15SM
Martin OM28V
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Eastman T386
1890's C. Bruno & Sons Parlor
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Just remember stores like that spray their walls with a special sound ehancement paint. It most likely won't sound as well at home. It never fun when you play something that sounds great, and all of a sudden your personal equipment no longer sounds as good as it did.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedbaby View Post
The place where I take my lessons is a Tom Anderson dealer, Evans Music City in Houston, Texas.

I always go in early and shoot the bull with the guys before my lesson, you know "guitar talk" LOL

Well yesterday I let John talk me into playing an Anderson T series (3 sc coil pickup design) plugged into a Dr Z amp. I should have NEVER done that....I am jonesing for one of those now...even though it will be a LONG time before I can do the guitar justice. What an incredible instrument and amp combination.

thats all...carry on.
If it "speaks to you", go for it. My philosophy is, you only live once.

A buddy of mine is a Dr. Z freak (he owns, and has owned several models), and the sounds he can coax out of those things is incredible. You'd swear these amps have a built-in "emotions" setting.

Sure, it's mostly "in the fingers", but when you have a great player, playing thru top-notch gear that will let him achieve musical Nirvana, well,,,, that's MAGIC,
Old 05-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstft View Post
Only thing that works for me. Get somebody you know who is a great guitarist to play the cheapest buster el cheapo guitar you can find and realize it's 90% in your fingers.
I like that understanding. Especially since there's no way I'll be allowed to ever spend $3k on another guitar . Nice acoustic ; beater electric , and I'm good.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstft View Post
Well yes...but a great guitar is a great guitar.

Sounds like the OP played it with his own fingers.

And those Dr. Z amps are very cool too.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 05-23-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:

thats all...carry on.
If you liked it, that's all that matters... The rest is just small talk ;-)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:

thats all...carry on.
I only have three guitars, all Andersons. I've never regretted buying them for an instant, they're amazing instruments.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:15 AM

I've never seen one in the wild, but Tom Anderson guitars do look amazing. And the whole "chatting before my lesson" thing has cost me a lot of money as well!
Les Paul Studio 2016
The touch of a blacksmith

Treebeard: “Some of my kin look just like trees now, and need something great to rouse them; and they speak only in whispers."
Old 05-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Freedbaby, is your teacher perhaps Wayne Wilkerson? If so, congratulations! If not, track him down; he's one of the most talented and tasteful guitarists in Texas. Here he's playing his Anderson T with one of the most talented and tasteful bands in Texas (RIP bandleader Ron Crick).

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:

thats all...carry on.
You ought to dive in...play alot of different guitar/amp combinations....so as to begin your development of ear, style, taste and chops. There are lots of great combinations....my preference is for a tele (or most any git) and a tweed and/or 64 blackface princeton reverb...and gretsh and ampeg or lp and slo...so just be careful of what you be jones'n for.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to take my time on this one...If I am going to buy a really nice guitar, I am going to buy ONE really nice guitar.

So far, I am still really impressed with that Anderson and a Dr Z amp.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:00 AM

Just recognize that your taste will likely progress...at first always thought I was a lp hb guy, then a 335...but then found out that my preference is longer scale and low output single coils.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I have a Dr Z Maz 18 NR that I love. It is my main gigging amp. I cannot recommend it highly enough, plus Dr Z has some of the best customer support I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 PM

There are often used Andersons for sale on either the Anderson Guitarworks Form or on the Gear Page....

I have several Andersons, including some vintage Grand Am models....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars