The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM

Default Going electric! (Help!)

I have a pretty decent acoustic "rig" currently. Taylor 614ce>TC Play Acoustic>Fishman Loudbox Performer.

I'm looking to expand to add ambiance to worship (I'm a worship leader) and am looking at getting an electric rig in the next six months or so. I'm looking at maybe a Strat into a POD HD500X. I think that will be the most bang for my buck for what I'm looking for.

My question is: Is there a way to run my acoustic and my electric through the POD HD500X (not at the same time)? Also, can I run the POD through my Loudbox and use it as a powered speaker so that I won't need to purchase a dedicated electric guitar amp?

Electric: Fender Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Plus Top (Aged Cherry Burst)

TC Helicon Play Acoustic
Line 6 Helix
Line 6 Spider V 120
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 AM

Telecaster, Mustang III, 4 button FS, Expression pedal.

Done - everything in the world... can record, can go XLR stereo, can stand alone as an amp, effects...

If you're dead set on a strat, you can skip the Tele... for now... you'll want it later
Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post

Done - everything in the world... can record, can go XLR stereo, can stand alone as an amp, effects...

If you're dead set on a strat, you can skip the Tele... for now... you'll want it later
What little I know and have experienced, this sounds like sound advice. Even though I have a Cheap Squire Telecaster and a Mustang I...I am amazed at what it can do...pretty much everything.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 AM

I run both my acoustic and electric through the same pedalboard rig and to a line 6 floor pod and to the house where I grab my IEM feed. Could do the same to an amp but you need an amp that works well with both acoustic and electric. My experience with amps for this is to keep the amp super clean and let the pedals do the heavy lifting. My Fender Blues Jr or Deluxe Reverb work real good for that. No sure about the acoustic amp with the electric as I never tried it.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
I run both my acoustic and electric through the same pedalboard rig and to a line 6 floor pod and to the house where I grab my IEM feed. Could do the same to an amp but you need an amp that works well with both acoustic and electric. My experience with amps for this is to keep the amp super clean and let the pedals do the heavy lifting. My Fender Blues Jr or Deluxe Reverb work real good for that. No sure about the acoustic amp with the electric as I never tried it.
My understanding is that an acoustic amp is essentially a mini-PA so it should have no issues handling amp modeling of any sort. My Loudbox has a direct out to the PA for FoH sound, so anything I run into it goes to the PA. It's because of this that I don't really want to get another amp for an electric guitar.

Would I be able to utilize some of the effects from the POD (reverb, chorus, delay) for acoustic guitar?

TC Helicon Play Acoustic
Line 6 Helix
Line 6 Spider V 120
Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post

Does the 4 button FS only work with the Mustang or will it work with the fender blues also ?
Thanks
Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

You can run both guitars into the POD by using an A/B box such as a Radial Big Shot. Works great for switching inputs or can be used to switch amps on one guitar. -- Darwin
Old 05-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCoehick View Post
I have a pretty decent acoustic "rig" currently. Taylor 614ce>TC Play Acoustic>Fishman Loudbox Performer.

I'm looking to expand to add ambiance to worship (I'm a worship leader) and am looking at getting an electric rig in the next six months or so. I'm looking at maybe a Strat into a POD HD500X. I think that will be the most bang for my buck for what I'm looking for.

My question is: Is there a way to run my acoustic and my electric through the POD HD500X (not at the same time)? Also, can I run the POD through my Loudbox and use it as a powered speaker so that I won't need to purchase a dedicated electric guitar amp?
Yes, you can do this. You won't want to use the same sound patches for the acoustic as you use for the Strat, obviously. You might also want to look at the Line 6 Firehawk - kind of a next generation Pod, it's accesible via bluetooth and pads/phones.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There is a secondary analog input on the POD HD500X that is suggested to add an acoustic. You just plug the POD into the Aux Stereo input of the Fishman then build some presets for the acoustic and some for the electric. Voile'! You be jahmin'. Oh, and there's also a mic input as well on the POD...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 AM

What about...
Tele or Strat, through a preamp amp emulator into your Loudbox.

I think one of the Joyo boxes (the "American Sound" for fender sounds) is the lowest cost one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5STIAYot5ws
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-22-2015, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What about... Tele or Strat, through a preamp amp emulator into your Loudbox.
I'm an acoustic player with a small pedal board that goes directly to the pa. On that rare occasion I bring out an electric guitar, I throw a Boss FDR-1 in the chain and I'm good. Those Loudbox amps are pretty clear, so it might sound good.
Good luck.. have fun!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
There is a secondary analog input on the POD HD500X that is suggested to add an acoustic. You just plug the POD into the Aux Stereo input of the Fishman then build some presets for the acoustic and some for the electric. Voile'! You be jahmin'. Oh, and there's also a mic input as well on the POD...

Bob
A mic input for vocals?!

TC Helicon Play Acoustic
Line 6 Helix
Line 6 Spider V 120
Old 05-22-2015, 07:51 AM

I have never owned an acoustic amp.. I have always run thru the clean channel of my tube amp.. sounds great to me. I would try it through your Loudbox first before I bought another amp.mY 2 cents by the way I would recommend a strat but I have a Tele too.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
You can run both guitars into the POD by using an A/B box such as a Radial Big Shot. Works great for switching inputs or can be used to switch amps on one guitar. -- Darwin
Yep, this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars