The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-17-2015, 04:15 PM

I am another HUGE fan of the Mustang III V2. I had a Line 6 Amplifi 75 watt that I liked, but it quickly became too much aggravation if the iPad wasn't around. Plus, the MIII sound so much better! The Mustang is the perfect amp. Sweetwater is a wonderful company to deal with. I also recently purchased the Fender MS4 Footswitch based upon the reviews. I can't wait to use it.

I have a Jimmie Vaughn Fender Stratocaster, Variax 300, and 2 Les Pauls that work so wonderfully with the MIII. You cannot go wrong with this amp and I am only scratching the surface with it's capabilities.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 PM

I decided not to grab a Mustang as I picked up a Marshal AVT20 for only $80. As it turns out, I like it much more than I had expected to.

I might grab a Mustang at some point, but not at the moment.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 PM

So I'm in the market for a new amp and looks like the Mustang I would fill my needs. I only recently bought my first electric guitar used and it came with a Line6 Micro Spider 6 watt 6" speaker amp. Cool little practice amp but not the best sound.

So I only play around the house and the 20 watt Mustang I should be a plenty. I have pretty much zero experience with amps except the one listed above.

So I have a used Mustang III that came up for sale very near me for $215 and I really don't see where I will ever need a 100 watt amp. I guess I will just let it slide and get the MI for $119 shipped. What would you do?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 PM

If the Mustang III is a V2 (version 2) I would grab it as that is an incredible price and you will not have buyers remorse. Then again.....I am an awful person to ask! The added versatility of the III V2 will make you smile.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:57 AM

Yeh get the III.

You need a computer to change the sounds on the I and II. Don't need it on the III. Grab it!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 PM

I do like my Mustang I. Great little amp for the office.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 PM

I think the Mustang I has its limits, now that I have played it for a month. The biggest problem is dragging a laptop around the house to do anything with it.

In summary, after my experience, I would really say the III is the way to go. And the use of footswitches to scroll through presets is essential.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I think the Mustang I has its limits, now that I have played it for a month. The biggest problem is dragging a laptop around the house to do anything with it.

In summary, after my experience, I would really say the III is the way to go. And the use of footswitches to scroll through presets is essential.
Well I ended up getting the MII, just didn't need a 100w amp. I can't shake the house with this thing.

I'm still learning so please clarify dragging the laptop. I'm reading the amber presets can only be changed in Fuse but do you need the PC just to save the red and the green changes?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Well I ended up getting the MII, just didn't need a 100w amp. I can't shake the house with this thing.

I'm still learning so please clarify dragging the laptop. I'm reading the amber presets can only be changed in Fuse but do you need the PC just to save the red and the green changes?
You don't need the PC for those changes. However, what I've found is that unless I'm hooked up to the Fender Fuse software on my computer I feel like I'm working blind with my MII. Once I get narrowed in on a particular amp and desired effects I can go back to my on-board stuff (like gain, volume, bass, treble) and make some changes on the fly. If I like what I hear I can save it right then.

By the way, once the speaker in your MII gets broken in you might find some genuine house shaking going on. I've got a few Bassman settings on my MII that can get pretty close to Richter Scale levels.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
You don't need the PC for those changes. However, what I've found is that unless I'm hooked up to the Fender Fuse software on my computer I feel like I'm working blind with my MII. Once I get narrowed in on a particular amp and desired effects I can go back to my on-board stuff (like gain, volume, bass, treble) and make some changes on the fly. If I like what I hear I can save it right then.

By the way, once the speaker in your MII gets broken in you might find some genuine house shaking going on. I've got a few Bassman settings on my MII that can get pretty close to Richter Scale levels.
So on the red and green slections, can't you just tweak the knobs and push the save button?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
So on the red and green slections, can't you just tweak the knobs and push the save button?
Yes indeed.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-26-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
precisely...pretty simple.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:15 AM

Default Got a New Footswitch For My Amp

I don't know but maybe I can figure out this one
Old 05-30-2015, 04:11 AM

FYI for all the acoustic players....

The Fender Passport Mini is sold as their combo amp, but the software is the same as the Mustang. You have the advantage of a XLR in though. Love my passport. It is heaps of fun.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedbaby View Post
precisely...pretty simple.
Not really. The buttons you have access to are pathetically few.

You cannot change amp models. You cannot insert stomp boxes. You have limited modulation settings. You cannot do about 100 different things. In short, without a PC, you cannot change much.

With the Mustang III, you can do everything without a computer. Its all on the front panel.

Just the whole "got to have a computer to do anything" is a pain for me. I want an amp that works, as an amp, with its effects, as is.

Aside from that, the footswitch option on the I is just a 2 button selection. On the III you can do so much more.

I do like the Fuse software. But I do not like the demand that I MUST use it. I like to just fiddle with effects using the amp. And beside that, there are 100 preset locations in the III and only 24 on the I.

So I am going to get the III. For those reasons. As for volume, well, it won't hurt to have more volume for that time in the distant future that I finally find a reliable drummer for a band .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars