The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 PM

I use an MXR 5-knob Bass Compressor for acoustic and clean electric (and Bass), because it gives about as much control as a rack unit, allowing you to fine tune attack, release, ratio, input and output, as well as the LED gain reduction meter. I also have a dyna-comp, but the 5-knob can get the same sound and so much more.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone here use/used a compressor in their electric guitar chain? What brands do you like? What kind of music do you use it for.

I've never had a compressor before but never thought I needed one.
Since you're in Canada you should check out the Diamond Compressor. It's optical and is very easy to use and very transparent. It can also run at different voltages for more headroom and has a unique "tilt" EQ circuit that can be switched off if desired.

It helps to have an idea of what you want it for. More of an effect or always on to smooth out your overall sound. I tend to use them more when recording but do bring mine out for live.

The problem for most musicians with compression is that it is one of the harder processors to use properly. I use higher end rack mount comps in the studio that are fully adjustable. Guitar compressors are usually a series of compromises where the manufacturer decides the compression ration and attack and release times for you.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Since you're in Canada you should check out the Diamond Compressor. It's optical and is very easy to use and very transparent. It can also run at different voltages for more headroom and has a unique "tilt" EQ circuit that can be switched off if desired.

It helps to have an idea of what you want it for. More of an effect or always on to smooth out your overall sound. I tend to use them more when recording but do bring mine out for live.

The problem for most musicians with compression is that it is one of the harder processors to use properly. I use higher end rack mount comps in the studio that are fully adjustable. Guitar compressors are usually a series of compromises where the manufacturer decides the compression ration and attack and release times for you.
Diamond makes some great gear, expensive but quality. Great Nova Scotia company.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The most transparent one out there to my ears is the Barber Tone Press. It uses parallel compression to hide the "pop" at the beginning of the note. For slide I've been looking at the Origin Effects Slide Rig. If you want the pop at the head of the note you can look at the classic MXR Dynacomp.

Bob
I haven't had a lot of love for compressors, I could never really figure out how to fit them into my sound. Nonetheless, I've been thinking about a compressor again for a while given my current tonal needs; still, I didn't want to end up going through a bunch with all of the attendant expense (especially as I close on my first house in a couple of weeks).

There are, however, certain people on this forum whose advice I have learned to take at face value, and Bob is one of them. On the advice posted and linked, I ordered a Barber Tone Press. I only just got it today, but from the first few strums I knew that I had found the missing puzzle piece in my current tonal desires. Thanks, Bob.

I own a guitar.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
The most transparent one out there to my ears is the Barber Tone Press. It uses parallel compression to hide the "pop" at the beginning of the note. For slide I've been looking at the Origin Effects Slide Rig. If you want the pop at the head of the note you can look at the classic MXR Dynacomp.

Bob
Another thumbs up for the Barber tone press!!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
I haven't had a lot of love for compressors, I could never really figure out how to fit them into my sound. Nonetheless, I've been thinking about a compressor again for a while given my current tonal needs; still, I didn't want to end up going through a bunch with all of the attendant expense (especially as I close on my first house in a couple of weeks).

There are, however, certain people on this forum whose advice I have learned to take at face value, and Bob is one of them. On the advice posted and linked, I ordered a Barber Tone Press. I only just got it today, but from the first few strums I knew that I had found the missing puzzle piece in my current tonal desires. Thanks, Bob.
Thanks for your kind words and I'm glad to have been of assistance!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I have a Mad Professor Forest Green hand-wired... It has a flip switch for compression versus sustain. I tend to use it most of all on the sustain setting; it moves the compression from the attack phase to the decay allowing you to use all your pick dynamics but have a screamingly great sustain to your tone. It's rare for me to not have that little gem turned on. (For what it's worth, I tried Keeley's and Diamonds before settling on the Mad Prof).
Old 04-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Back in the day before power supplies, I'd use an MXR Dynacomp with an almost-dead 9V battery, which gave it a nice edge. Tried a new Dynacomp with the power sag on a power supply, but it just didn't seem the same (memories had enhanced the tone of years gone by perhaps?).

Now I use an Analogman Bi-CompROSSor which I really like. It actually works really well with distortion or overdrive.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
...(memories had enhanced the tone of years gone by perhaps?)
Or, the older I get the better I was...

Bob

Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
... I've been looking at the Origin Effects
Hadn't come across Origin Effects before. Interesting looking products. Cracked me up when I saw their logo though; that's the old style British Railways station name sign design... I see they use the related 'arrow' design, too. Instantly knew they were a British company

Have you used the 1176 compressor they make?

Last edited by DesolationAngel; 04-23-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM

i never thought i'd need a compressor either. then i bought an digitech istomp and tried the compressor. now it is in my chain.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-23-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
I use 2. First is a HBE CPR and second a Janglebox JB2. The HBE CPR can be found used for $120 or so and they are really great.
I have Janglebox too.. I love it.. I use it with my Carbon Copy delay,.. It's a great combo especially running thru the effects loop..
Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Have you used the 1176 compressor they make?
I haven't. I've used the real thing but not theirs.

Bob

Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 PM

Visual Sound Route 66 (comp/overdrive) is hands down the best I've used.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Cocobologist

Just picked up a Wampler Ego compressor. Very transparent tonewise thanks to the blend control. Works great on single coil and humbuckers. Highly recommended!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars