The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider24 View Post
I do have an amp I have a Fender Mustang 1!!! J/K... Well I do have one but I also have a Marshall Class 5 which is a 5 watt all tube combo.
The Class 5 is a sweet amp. Difficult to get a nice overdrive without cranking though but any nice overdrive pedal will suit your needs. I just bought a EHX Soul Food pedal and it's great for overdriving the Class 5 at a decent volume - that's what I demoed it on.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
Look at the various G&L offerings. Lots of different styles, American-made, and most are available new at or below your price ceiling.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...tars/index.asp

Worked for me when I could afford my second electric!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I have a Reverend Sensei RA that I would highly recommend. It's the model with Railhammer pickups. It's thin, lightweight and sounds great. When I first heard it, I was very impressed. I think, new, it would come in at about $700 - $800, though not sure. Also very happy with Carvin. If you're careful about the options you go for, you can get a model in at under your budget. I think Carvin necks are about as smooth and playable as they come. I got one with a 10" fingerboard radius and love playing it. That being said, I suggest you take a look at Reverend. Someone on here reviewed a Fallout, and it could be a perfect fit for what you're looking for.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-18-2015, 02:16 PM

Default If you don't mind "slumming it" ...

I can't say enough about the tone and quality of my Epiphone Les Paul 60's Tribute Plus. Gibby PUs and tuners, AAA flamed tops and a tone I prefer over that of my Gibson Trad Pro II. For some, it doesn't carry the prestige that a Gibson version would, but at $599 with a hard case, it's hard to find a better LP on the market today if tone is a primary goal. You'll then have budget money for a new Amp. Maybe a Peavy 40 classic and still have money left unspent.

Happy birthday in advance what ever you decide.
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 03-20-2015, 06:12 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about those tribute Epiphones. Considering the hard case and pickups they are a pretty good value.

I've been doing a lot of research and plan to start some guitar demos at local stores. I have decided to "avoid the Floyd" and stay away from those types of guitars. Right now I'm leaning towards a Gibson Les Paul Jr, Fender 50s Road worn Telecaster, Fender classic 50s Telecaster, Fender 72 Tele Deluxe, Possibly a PRS S2 Mira.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:21 PM

I would recommend a mid-to late 1990s Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut. You should be able to locate one in your price range. Here's a link to a picture of mine. It is a terrific guitar:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/DSC_0025.jpg
Old 03-24-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Since we're not getting any younger, let's go for something classic - and classy:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-AR420-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-AR100C
An Artist series Ibanez is definitely on my list: either old or new (but in a nice color...)... in addition to a tele, hardtail strat, and a reduced size Firebird. Not really into Les Pauls.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 AM

If you're a rock/blues guy, two Gibsons that should be on your radar are the ES-335 and ES-339. The Epiphone 339 with the coil-tapping is a blues-rock machine with incredible band for the buck. Get one of those, a professional setup, and you can even replace the pickups, bridge and tuners, all for less than a new Gibson. I own some nice American electrics, but these recent epiphones (and the Squier Classic Vibe Fenders) have been blowing me away. With some money into parts, they exceed plenty of their off-the-rack American counterparts.

Alternatively, if you want to buy new and you're into the look of Fender offsets (I am), check out the American Special Jazzmaster. It's got a TOM/stop tailpiece and a strat scale length, along with two stacked humbuckers that land somewhere between a Jazzmaster single-coil and a P90 in tone.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM

I a long time Ibanez fan but I just bought a schector more quality for the money. but with that budget I would be torn between a Gem or a PRS. Go play some schectors.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider24 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about those tribute Epiphones. Considering the hard case and pickups they are a pretty good value.

I've been doing a lot of research and plan to start some guitar demos at local stores. I have decided to "avoid the Floyd" and stay away from those types of guitars. Right now I'm leaning towards a Gibson Les Paul Jr, Fender 50s Road worn Telecaster, Fender classic 50s Telecaster, Fender 72 Tele Deluxe, Possibly a PRS S2 Mira.
I would pick a PRS S2 over any Gibson in your price range.

Since you mentioned the Gretsch I suggest looking at the Electromatic Pro Jet. The hollowbody models are good too, but you haven't mentioned any interest in a hollow or semi-hollow.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:31 PM

Finally made it out this weekend and played a lot of guitars. I played many different manufacturers but have narrowed my search down to 3 guitars. 1) Gibson Les Paul Junior. 2) Gibson Les Paul Special. 3) PRS S2 Mira.

The Gibsons are mainly on my list because I really dig the nasally tone of P90's and honestly none of the 2015 changes that everyone seems to despise bother me. My local GC has also started discounting them -$90. I'm also a big fan of the simplicity of the Junior. Hoping in a couple of weeks when I'm ready to pull the trigger prices will have gone down again. On the other hand the Mira's quality just blew me away. Fret work was great and the neck felt perfect! It sounded great but obviously didn't have the p90 growl I was looking for. I may compromise here though seeing as how I really dug the guitar. Got some serious thinking to do.

Thanks for the recommendations too! I did play some Reverands. Great guitars but not quite for me.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm having a half custom guitar built by Benford Guitars. You can probably get something put together just as you'd like it, with your choice of pickups and configuration, within your budget. Just something to think about.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Hard decisions.

I would pick a Tele and put it through an overdrive before I would pick a LP> you can do a lot more with it. Try country with a Les Paul! Well, actually, the Allman brothers did, but not with Twang! But Teles do it all, jazz, country, pop, Motown guitar of choice and some heavy metal crunch.

If you want metal and rock, nothing will perform like an Ibanez. But Ibbies are one trick ponies, I sold mine off, because it was a pure rock guitar. If you want pure rock, its the one! Vai and Satriani can't be wrong, that's their weapon of choice.

PRS, who can complain? Sad you don't have the sound you want off the pickups, but I am sure a good pedal could do that.

LPs, never bonded with them. Don't know why. I think its because they sound meh clean and seem to have ONE overdriven tone.

Not an easy decision.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:07 PM

You have a Strat......now get a LP. Real men play Les Pauls.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I drove myself crazy for the past month trying guitars and narrowing the field. Since it is a gift from my wife I gave her the info on a few different guitars and told her I would be happy with any of them so I am letting her decide my fate. She knows absolutely squat about guitars so I am sure her decision will be based on cost and what is pretty. She has already ordered my mystery guitar and I should have it early next week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars