The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Used to be known for my pecan pies. matzo brei (sort of a French toast made with softened matzo instead of bread) and chili, but low carb dieting put a stop to that. I very occasionally indulge in chili, but I have to be careful when it comes to the starch in beans--and other folks may have put masa or sugar in their recipes.

My family has started calling me the “steak whisperer,” whether I grill outdoors or sear on the stovetop. If the latter, I like to make a deglazed pan sauce with mushrooms, shallots, red wine and butter. I like to serve it with either brussels sprouts or broccolini--blanched for 1 min. in the microwave and then sauteed with olive oil and garlic, with a squeeze of lemon and one turn of the salt mill before serving.

But the dish I’m most often asked to bring to potlucks is my version of insalata caprese: slices of the best and ripest tomatoes I can find and fresh mozzarella (imported water buffalo if I can get it), homegrown basil (whole leaves layered in, as well as topped with a chiffonade), all on a bed of arugula and dressed with Ligurian extra-virgin olive oil, real balsamic (not the thin acidic supermarket “industriale” stuff), freshly ground pepper and sea salt.

My favorite fast recipe is to put fresh fish--the fattier the better, such as salmon or bluefish--fillets on parchment with julienned peppers, onions, and tomatoes plus leaves of basil and tarragon. Salt and pepper lightly, drizzle with a little olive oil, fold the parchment to make a pocket and crimp the edges. Make a small slit in the packet and nuke on high for 2 minutes. Stand back when cutting the packet so as not to get scalded with steam, and enjoy right out of the packet. Lemon is optional.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 09-29-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
I'm mostly know for my french toast...texas toast dipped in a mixture of egg, milk, vanilla, pinch of nutmeg, little cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, serve piping hot with a slab of butter, topped with fresh blueberries, makes its own syrup....and extra thick floppy bacon slices...or baked beans...secret (or not) ingredient is molasses and sorghum ....add cooked bacon, not raw, bake for an hour at 325...but I'd like to see that shepherds pie recepe buddhyu,,,
Have you tried putting “fior di sicilia” in the batter instead of vanilla? It’s the secret ingredient in panettone and cannoli--a mixture of orange essence, vanilla and rum extract. And grate a little whole nutmeg (3 of 4 scrapes on a microplane) instead of using ground--cheaper in the long run and you need less than a pinch! Also, sliced challah works even better than Texas toast.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:25 PM

I love to cook and have more than one "signature" dish, but a favorite is Rosemary Chicken. For two:

Heat 3 tbs olive oil and 3 tbs. butter n a large skillet over medium heat. Add four chicken thighs, skin side down (be sure to pat chicken dry with paper towel before adding to pan, otherwise skin will not get ver crispy), plus about 20 to 30 peeled cloves of garlic. Salt and pepper the thighs. Cook until skin is crisp and brown, 7 to 10 minutes (be careful garlic doesn't burn. If it looks like it's getting too brown, remove it temporarily). Turn chicken over, salt & pepper other side, and add chopped fresh rosemary (1 to 2 tbs or to taste) and cook until brown, 7 to 10 minutes.

If you've removed the garlic, add it back, now, turn heat up to high, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup white wine and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook chicken for about 15 minutes, turning over once.

Turn off heat, remove chicken and garlic to a serving dish (might want to put it into the oven to keep warm) while you make the sauce.

Drain as much fat from the pan as you can (I use a large spoon, but a fat sepertaor works just as well), turn the heat back to medium and deglaze pan with more white wine to make a sauce, scraping up the brown bits with a wooden spoon and stirring to dissolve. Add salt & pepper to taste, a pat of butter to smooth it out, and strain sauce into a small bowel.

Serve with slices of sour dough baguette or your favorite crusty bread to dip in the sauce or slather with the cooked garlic (yumm), your favorite side dish, and drink the rest of the white wine. Bon appetit.

Last edited by sfden1; 09-29-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
I very occasionally indulge in chili, but I have to be careful when it comes to the starch in beans--and other folks may have put masa or sugar in their recipes.
Have a visit down here to south Texas, Sandy. Home of the original chili...where even uttering the word "beans" in the same breath as the name of the sacred dish is pretty much frowned upon. Seriously, the original term was chile con carne (that would be chile, a capsicum pepper, such as the jalapeno, with meat...beans need not apply). We do love our beans, too...just separate from our chili.

Dirk
Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Have you tried putting “fior di sicilia” in the batter instead of vanilla? It’s the secret ingredient in panettone and cannoli--a mixture of orange essence, vanilla and rum extract. And grate a little whole nutmeg (3 of 4 scrapes on a microplane) instead of using ground--cheaper in the long run and you need less than a pinch! Also, sliced challah works even better than Texas toast.
I'll try anything onc, Sandy, thanks! Is fior di sicilia in major stores? If not I'll be in Chicago in Nov. Maybe I could hit a stor on the way up.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 09-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Open can, dump in pot, eat when hot. I get lots of compliments on it like "This isn't as crappy as I thought it would be!"
Old 09-29-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
I'll try anything onc, Sandy, thanks! Is fior di sicilia in major stores? If not I'll be in Chicago in Nov. Maybe I could hit a stor on the way up.
Here you go. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...i-sicilia-1-oz
Old 09-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Apricot chicken. Whole un-cut chicken stuffed inside with apricots and basted in my special glaze.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:07 PM

Mine is a simple pasta with a tomato meat sauce. It was a regional favorite when we lived in the DC area. Now days I just make it for family.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM

One of my recent favorites has been simple hot dogs. I mince red onion and jalapeno, then add horseradish sauce. It gives it a nice bite.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:27 PM

My signature dish is

Peanut Butter and cheese sandwich

Two slices of bread (preferably whole wheat, but whatever is one's favorite)
Slice of cheese (Tillamook medium or strong cheddar the current preference)
Toast the bread
While toasting, prepare the peanut butter (please, it must be Skippy, super crunchy), by opening the jar and inserting a butter knife inside it.
At the exact moment that the bread pops up, have a smear of Skippy ready, to spread.
Place cheese on bread
Eat, while still warm

It is highly recommended that there be something to drink, nearby, depending upon how thickly the Skippy has been applied.

Bon appetite!!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 09-29-2014, 03:30 PM

People love my muffins, but it is the Baileys cheesecake that has people begging me to bake for them.

When it comes to the main course - my chili is fairly popular as are my stuffed pasta shells. Got some of those in the oven right now.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
What's your "signature" dish?
Gotta be Cocoa Puffs.....
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Boiled pigs intestines. Just rinse them out good and boil in water with a little salt. Oh yeah, open the windows please.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM

The one thing that friends and family always ask me to cook is smoked brisket. Cooked low and slow for 15 hours using apple wood for the smokey flavor. After I finish the cook, I separate the flat from the point. I slice the flat for serving but the point I cut up in cubes and make burnt ends for me to snack on later. Mmmm, I wish I had a nice 15 pound packer right now to throw in the smoker.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic