The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Sheet Music/chords on Android Tablet

Been looking for an excuse to get an android tablet.

Anyone use theirs as a replacement for music binders?

Suggestions on hardware or software?

I am thinking I would want a 10in screen over a 7in screen. Wouldn't have to be an amazing tablet because that is really the only thing I would need it to do. I just want a skinnier replacement for my 4 huge binders and still be able to add stuff. (Fly to gigs a bunch and space is tight)
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Tried this with an iPad with limited success. The potential is there, but I am still waiting for someone to write a dedicated app. The few I found (prompter type) don't cut it for gigging.

I think it's just a matter of time- hopefully one will integrate with footpedal/usb page turner functionality, as I find it tough to cram lyrics to long songs onto one page.

When I have used it, the portability, illuminated screen and crisp text is heaven. Let me know if you run across anything. Thanks!

-John
Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Do they even have android tablets yet? I know they're talking about "any day now", and also I thought the next Android version was to address tablet sized devices better.

As for iPad, TabToolkit is a nice app.

Basses:
Ernie Ball/Music Man Stingray 4 HS
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM

It may be a little bit early. There was a very recent announcement about the Android Market not being ready and the soon to be released Android 3 to be suited for tablets.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 PM

There are quite a few out right now, not mainstream though and really not polished.

A bunch are coming out soon including the Galaxy Tab which is getting lots of press but it is only 7 inches and will be expensive.

here is a cheap one ($260) that is out but would need some hacking:
http://www.zenithink.us/zenithink-zt...Fdj75wodvxHFGA

And this Archos 10.1 looks good (about $300) coming soon. (sept or oct)
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=us&lang=en
Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesweettone View Post
Tried this with an iPad with limited success. The potential is there, but I am still waiting for someone to write a dedicated app. The few I found (prompter type) don't cut it for gigging.

I think it's just a matter of time- hopefully one will integrate with footpedal/usb page turner functionality, as I find it tough to cram lyrics to long songs onto one page.

When I have used it, the portability, illuminated screen and crisp text is heaven. Let me know if you run across anything. Thanks!

-John
Did you try OnSong - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onson...364493059?mt=8 ? I read about it in this thread (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=194057) and it sound slike the smooth scroll feature (where you tell it a tempo) solves the one page problem.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 PM

There is a Samsung tablet coming before Christmas

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Also a Blackberry tablet coming out any day now. Won't run Android though.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM

I tried the 'Real Book' app with the ipad but the charts were still too small. I will have to stick with my real 'real book' for now.

So... hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 AM

I too am in much need of a device like this in that 2-300 price range. I would like to be able to kill my songbooks & link it to 2-3 other monitors, with a page turner pedal.

Talk to me Santa
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM

I haven't really used "open song" but it seems like that would be a good format to port over to the android (open, change keys, choose lyrics or lyrics and chords, playlists, powerpoint etc...)

I feel like there would be enough demand to hire someone to write a program if we all pitched in.

I don't have the programing knowledge, just the need for the program.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Just swallow the "i hate everything Apple" pride and go for an iPad. The Android market right now is so fractured with each manufacturer doing something different with the "open" source of Android and layering on all this BS. Like Blur on Motorola devices or Sense UI on HTC. Then you don't have everyone agreeing with how to do a tablet. Then you have some things written for one OS version and not another or hacked to make it work on a bigger form factor though Android 3.0 is suppose to address larger tablets...then have to wait wait wait wait for your manufacturer to upgrade the OS on their device. Froyo has been out for months and there are still Android phones that only run 2.1. Sure, you can go and find pirated ROMS to load into your machine if you're that savvy, but come on...

And besides, they STILL don't have a good tablet. Everything is "coming soon" or "any day now".

I just swallowed my pride and bought an iPad. I dont' worry about it being what it is and just use it for what I want.

BTW, MG Siegler had a great article on this:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/09/android-open/

Basses:
Ernie Ball/Music Man Stingray 4 HS

Last edited by Goofball Jones; 09-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
Just swallow the "i hate everything Apple" pride and go for an iPad. The Android market right now is so fractured with each manufacturer doing something different with the "open" source of Android and layering on all this BS. Like Blur on Motorola devices or Sense UI on HTC. Then you don't have everyone agreeing with how to do a tablet. Then you have some things written for one OS version and not another or hacked to make it work on a bigger form factor though Android 3.0 is suppose to address larger tablets...then have to wait wait wait wait for your manufacturer to upgrade the OS on their device. Froyo has been out for months and there are still Android phones that only run 2.1. Sure, you can go and find pirated ROMS to load into your machine if you're that savvy, but come on...

And besides, they STILL don't have a good tablet. Everything is "coming soon" or "any day now".

I just swallowed my pride and bought an iPad. I dont' worry about it being what it is and just use it for what I want.

BTW, MG Siegler had a great article on this:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/09/android-open/
I work with two developers who program for all the popular platforms and they echo Tweetdeck's rebuttal to Steve Jobs' rather obnoxious (defensive) behavior earlier in the week.

Yeah, there's nothing you can do about several Android tablets and Android 3 being almost here but it's pretty obvious that you will have hardware and software choices Apple will not give you.

I work with the different phone platforms and have to think of SwiftKey being superior to Apple and how Google bought the blind type company.

My developer associates and my work in security noted how quickly the Android Market changed to blatantly disclosing privacy issues - the whole screen in your face before you install anything. Even a stock Android devices lets you turn services on and off that pertain to privacy.

One of my developer friends who works for the leader in health care software pointed out how they have to give source code to Apple, not to Google, just disclose privacy issues.

The person I know who has made a specific career change to work in this area points out that market share will make for a certain level of Apple development and that choice plus programming will make for Adroid solutions you will not see on the Apple side. I tend to agree because one of my customers is already looking at hand held data entry and process control and the terminal apps and virtual keyboard apps plus hardware choices have them waiting for Android development.

If RIM security and stability port to their tablet we'll have good reasons to consider it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion