The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM

A short answer to your question, not meant to be snarky, is my Dazzo equipped R. Taylor Style 3, Taylor 310, Taylor GS mini, G String Uke, 2 mandolins and a Banjo. All of them can be plugged into any system (so far) and use very little EQ. Sometimes a slight mid cut on the amp or mixer or a Treble boost on my Red Eye. Either way, EQ has not been an issue for me since installing the Dazzos in all three of my guitars and other acoustic instruments.

Now for a longer explanation. Back in the day, I believe in the 70's, there was a pickup called the FRAP which stands for Flat Response Acoustic Pickup. Arnie Lazarus developed that pickup. It was said to have faithfully reproduce the sound of the acoustic instrument it was attached to. In short, Arnie let the patent run out and later, the Trance Amulet was born. It is essentially the FRAP. I don't own one but I suspect it is pretty awesome. The downside for me was that the preamp is inside the guitar. I prefer to choose from many of the external preamps available on the market which I feel could/would do a better job; namely my Red Eye. I went with the Dazzo pickup because it's owner is Teddy Randazzo Jr. who worked with Arnie Lazarus and learned all of the FRAP principles and came up with his own product that is a passive system which means no battery in the guitar. From what I learned from him, there is a lot that goes under the hood of those little triangles. I can't say if one sounds better than the other but in my short experience, I would say that it truly is a F.R.A.P. experience in it's own right.

I hope this lengthy explanation can give you something to think about. I have spent far too much time trying to fix an unbalanced pickup. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification