The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Default Off-the-floor amp suggestions?

Hi. I'm hoping for some informed input, please.

I currently use a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I like very much, but I find that the sound gets lost a bit when I'm on the same level as the audience, (which I am a lot). If I could get that LB Mini up on a speaker stand, I'd be very happy...

I don't want to get too heavy 'cause I have so much other gear to haul. (My achin' back!) So, ideally, I'd like to look at lightweight alternatives.

Any suggestions..?
Thank you.

-Warren
My Website

Last edited by warbles; 09-04-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:13 AM

If you want to get serious, I believe someone here has installed a pole mount on the bottom of a Mini. Means cutting a hole in the bottom though. And it would have to be tight in there so the location would need to be just right. I use Schertler which came with a pole mount installed. It really works well. If using it for front of house sound it always goes on the pole. You have to carry a speaker stand but they are relatively light though bulky.

Or you could set it on a chair. But I found even with that it seemed too low.

hunter
Old 09-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I just got this for my Loudbox Artist, which attaches to a speaker stand and can support up to 35kg: http://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?in...7591f66d37a10b

Mine is on a regular height stand (set at it's lowest level), but K&M also makes a low/medium height speaker stand that I might go for in the future: http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlig...er-stand-black
Old 09-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

One drawback to elevating your amp is going to be the lack of bass response; as soon as you get it off the floor, the bass output drops dramatically, which could be a good thing or bad, depending upon the amp.

I play in this huge indoor Deli where the entry way is ~50' long, lined with shops' doorways... big high ceilings in the area where I play... stage is elevated about 3' off the main floor.

When I first played there, I put my AER Compact 60 up on a chair... it sounded good, but was pretty wimpy in the bass department. Next time I played there, I put the AER on the stage floor and used a little wedge gizmo to "cant it" at a bout a 30 degree angle; the bass response was quite robust and full, especially compared to the tone from the same amp elevated.

If you have the room, try getting further away from your amp when you play... gives the sound some room to bloom and takes a lot of feedback issues out of the equation... not to mention that you will actually be hearing the sound the room is hearing! I try to get 10-20' away from my AER whenever I can...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-04-2016, 12:34 PM

I put a flush mount cup in the bottom of my amp to get it off the floor. I used a pa speaker stand that was left over from a setup I did at my dad's church.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbles View Post
Hi. I'm hoping for some informed input, please.

I currently use a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I like very much, but I find that the sound gets lost a bit when I'm on the same level as the audience, (which I am a lot). If I could get that LB Mini up on a speaker stand, I'd be very happy...

I don't want to get too heavy 'cause I have so much other gear to haul. (My achin' back!) So, ideally, I'd like to look at lightweight alternatives.

Any suggestions..?
Thank you.
There are a few tutorials on putting f a speaker stand in the LB Mini if your handy. PM me and I'll setup a time to do a phone call and walk you through how I did it. It works great, but voids your warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Fishman, Fender, Bose... and other's make tower amps that work great. I use the Fender Expo with a powered/EQ'd speaker on a stand and a Crate powered monitor. There are literally unlimited combinations of equipment you can use.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I cut a piece of wood 10" x 10", spray painted it black and mounted one of these to it
https://www.amazon.com/EB9760-Exteri...+speaker+mount

Then I just attach it to a speaker stand. Amp sits on "shelf", This way you don't have to drill your Fishman cabinet.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi Warbles

Two more options are an X-keyboard stand, or an amp stand which lifts amps and aims sound upward toward your head.

Both lift an amp off the floor and help the amp push sound out into the room. Sure you lose a little bass, but you can push sound far further in the room, and that's what tone controls are for.

I find the angle amp stand is good for stage use where the amp is my monitor and the house PA is pushing my guitar/voice into the audience.

The X-stand is better when I am using the amp like a mini-PA.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-05-2016, 03:12 PM

...so many great suggestions! Thank you, guys.

I'll post the upshot when the dust settles.

-Warren
My Website
Old 09-05-2016, 09:30 PM

I was in the same boat and went with a Jam 150 because of the pole mounting and light weight. So far, it's working pretty well. Need to try it in a few venues before I decide whether it's going to work for all of my applications but so-far-so-good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification